"A Pretty Dark Picture"

Update from tonite's meeting.

Due to family issues, SPL couldn't make it and the plan was not relayed to the ASPL. So the patrols were told to start planning for the next camp out.  Oldest asked me to ride herd on the adults, and keep them out of the way.  I rode herd on teh adults, kicking two out of their room they were in.

They actually got stuff done. OK I did have to go in after the troop scribe who started causing some distractions, but otherwise the patrol started working as a patrol. I'm told the PL was acting up a bit, and the newest member actually step up to the plate and got some things organized. But it went a lot smoother than in the past.

I am hoping this keeps up.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@Eagle94-A1, we had a similar issue when we tried to take the adults out of the picture and go to a more boy led approach. what worked for us was: Get buy in from the CO and TC. We had a meeting ar

I'm thinking along the same lines as qwaze. The meetings aren't going to fix anything, not in the current format. I was also thinking about a overnight campout intended to let them struggle on their o

Nope, that's what they got you to do, get you outside your comfort zone.  They win.   And don't think for a moment that there aren't teachers, coaches, and/or parents that haven't got you beat on th

Forgot to add, there was one comment that has been bugging me.  When the patrol announced steaks for dinner, one of the ASMs, whose son is in the patrol, made the comment, "If (son) has to get the food, momma aint buying steak."

This is from someone who knows better too as he has been fully trained and is an Eagle. :confused:

Which only proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, it takes only one person who's not even connected to scouting other than they have a son registered in the program can unilaterally dictate adult leadership mandates on the boys.  One blink and the trust level that has been months in building is negated.

I would advise that ASM that his wife NEVER takes the boys patrol shopping....ever!  If he does, he needs to be prepared to go back to the store at the last minute and purchase what was on the patrol menu.  If mamma decided to buy 4# of hamburger instead of 4# of steak, SHE just bought 4# of hamburger and the patrol needs to go back to the store for the 4# of steak they need for the outing..

Just remember, "mamma ain't buying steak!"  Well she didn't go to the store to buy steak, she went to the store so that her son could buy steak for the patrol.  :) 

Edited by Stosh

Tell me about it. Good news is that the it looks like that particular scout will not be buying food again for the patrol. Next two up for shopping are folks who actually do the shopping, although the dads do help, i.e. drive and push the carts. ;)

Last one to do the shopping before the troop reorganization, and from talking to some of the older Scouts that looks to happen, Oldest wants to take shopping. It's one of his friends, lives down the street, and last time dad did the shopping since he was sick. Yep dad did the shopping and dropped off the food.

I so wish the troop was an old school neighborhood troop. But we got folks from all over the county, some driving 20 minutes one way to attend the troop.

What?!?!  No grocery stores where these other people live who are 20 minutes away?  :)

Actually nope, Walmart Express closed them down, before the Walmart Express closed down.

What I liked about neighborhood troops was that the entire patrol could meet and shop as a patrol. No one person had to do the shopping, and usually we would get some splurge items for the camp out if we had money left over.