Laurel Highlands Camps Assessed by National Staff

"During this past year, our Council’s Board of Directors adopted a Strategic Plan with specific objectives relating to Membership, Marketing, Program, Development, Leadership and Governance, Unit Service, and Facilities.

With respect to Facilities . . . the Strategic Plan directs us to develop a short and long range camp master plan. As the first step in our planning process, we’ve invited John Stewart, a consulting engineer with the Boy Scouts of America national office, to visit our Council and conduct a review of our facilities. John, along with members of our Laurel Highlands Council camping and properties committees, visited all ten of our camps and our three office buildings."

http://lhc-bsa.org/~/media/Councils/Council527/527%20FSR%202016%20January%20Final.ashx

Personal note: the boys in our units' preferred camping locations are among the ones mentioned for closing.

Edited by qwazse

Odd that an outdoor organization so big on LNT advocates selling off green space for other development.

@@qwazse, was this "evaluation team" a group of BSA execs or an outside business consultant with experience in accounting and property management?

Not odd at all. BSA did not invent LNT. It adopted it because troops were tramping up State and National parks. Their own properties couldn't possibly be managed under such guidelines given the desired volume of untrained campers.

The guys on the camping committee are a stand-up lot of execs and volunteers. The names at the bottom of the report are passionate supporters of scouting and Western PA. Some of them (if I recognize the names correctly) are accountants and property managers.

The back story: we've merged three councils in as many years because two were folding. (Thus the gerrymander when you look at the maps.) Needless to say, when it came time to balance the books, we had to lose executives. To get back those executives, we either need to increase fees, raise funds, or sell property.

No, I get that you cannot manage a property to full LNT. I just found it ironic that an organization that promotes the outdoors and conservation of resources would advocate the selling of land for resource mining or additional development. I guess it is inevitable that a sale would take place and resources would be mined --  and that a company selling such land should get full proceeds from such a sale. I just found it anachronistic to a degree.

Yes, definitely have a big sell off of scout land, after all, it's not like there's a finite supply of it is there? ...

Actually, over the years, we (along with other non-profits) have had a steady stream of land donations. Not sure how unusual Pennsylvania is in that behavior.

Actually, over the years, we (along with other non-profits) have had a steady stream of land donations. Not sure how unusual Pennsylvania is in that behavior.

Our area tends to get large financial contributions, though all four of our council camps were very large land donations...back in the 30s-50s I think. Heck we used to have 5 but one was sold for development years ago. Not one house on the property still and it has been 20 years almost.

http://wjactv.com/news/local/men-on-a-mission-to-save-blair-county-scout-camp

TYRONE TOWNSHIP, Pa.-- Tucked in the rolling hills of Tyrone Township in Northern Blair County is Boy Scout Camp Anderson.

"I've been invested in this camp for my entire life -- for over 14 years. From Tiger Cub to now being a grown adult -- and I have so many memories of my childhood here and my adulthood camp," said Nathan Pearlman, a Camp Anderson volunteer.

Camp Anderson serves close to 2,500 Scouts a year, but now the camp may be forced to close.

"It's sad to think about knowing I've spent so much time out here," said Shawn Givler, a scoutmaster for Troop 103.

A report by the Boy Scouts of America, Laurel Highlands Council is recommending that Camp Anderson close. The report said the nonprofit is concerned over a $7,000 loss over the last five years, and there is a road and a portion of a fishing stream that can't be blocked off. The nonprofit is worried it could give unwanted visitors access to the camp.

But local volunteers aren't going down without a fight.

"I learned to chop wood here, I tied my first knot here, I did my first leather work here, just so many memories I have here," Pearlman said. "So that is why I am starting a petition and running this campaign."

Pearlman is asking others who feel passionate about keeping Camp Anderson open to sign his petition on Change.org. So far, he has 1,500 signatures.

"It really is a local and family affair here, with many generations coming to this camp and generations hoping their future can be invested into this camp as well," Pearlman said.

"That's what it is all about -- making sure the camp is here for the kids now and the kids for the future," said Givler.

Petition: 1627 supporters so far, need 2500

https://www.change.org/p/laurel-highlands-council-keep-camp-anderson

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • 10 months later...

Update: Camp Anderson to stay open under new ownership!

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/camp-anderson-to-stay-open/637919578

The Camp Anderson Corporation bought the site for $215,000 Friday from the Laurel Highlands Council of the Boy Scouts of America allowing for the campground to remain around for thousands of children and people in the community.

The camp's board of trustees has raised about $112,000 and will spend the next months and years fundraising to reach their original $500,000 goal.

The board members hope to use that money to keep the camp going and make some improvements.

Hurray!
  • Upvote 2