My troop's guidelines for Scouts are as follows:

No knives at troop meeting unless directed to bring them for an activty.

No sheath knives on outings unless premission has been granted by the Scoutmaster or the adult leader for the outing

Minor violations result in a reminder. Major ones result in confiscation of the knife until the Tot-n Chip is re-earned.

We only have two basic policies:

1) Must have earned Totin' Chit before a knife can be carried anywhere except in a pack and from the pack to the area where training or testing is taking place.

2) Offenses against safe knife handling rules are met with tempory suspension of the right to carry a knife issued by the Scout's Patrol Leader. As soon as possible after the event, the PL discusses the situation with the PLC and they may decide to remove a corner of the Totin' Chit. Fourth corner removed requires requalification for Totin' Chit. We've never had anyone lose more than his second corner since I've been with the Troop.

Mark

"I know about the Totin' Chip, but I'm looking for stuff like length of the blade, type of knife, etc."

What is the job you are doing? If you are fileting a fish, good luck tring to do it with a 3" pocket knife.

Try clearing brush with a filet knife.

Try scuba diving with a folding knife.

The job use has to be identified first. Then we can tell you the most appropriate tool.

You asked for a guideline on "knives", I think we are all trying to explain that the guideline is safe and proper use. As long as the right knife is being used in the right way for the right task, there is no problem.

Did you have a specific use in mind that you wanted to know about? For instance a camp knife for scout type activities in the woods? I recommend a pocket knife with a 2 1/2 or three inch spear point blade, with limited accessories such as a can opener and leather awl for convenience and easy handling.

I keep a slightly larger paring knife in my cook kit, and a filet knife in my tackle box.

I do not encourage parents to allow their scouts fixed blade knives. No one who likes to run should have a knife hanging on their belt.

Bob White

From the Guide to Safe Scouting:

"A sharp pocketknife with a can opener on it is an invaluable backcountry tool. Keep it clean, sharp, and handy. Avoid large sheath knives. They are heavy and awkward to carry, and unnecessary for most camp chores except for cleaning fish. Since its inception, Boy Scouting has relied heavily on an outdoor program to achieve its objectives. This program meets more of the purposes of Scouting than any other single feature. We believe we have a duty to instill in our members, youth and adult, the knowledge of how to use, handle, and store legally owned knives with the highest concern for safety and responsibility.

Rememberknives are not allowed on school premises, nor can they be taken aboard commercial aircraft."

Note it does not prohibit sheath knives, just to avoid them. The counsel already mentioned about matching the tool to the job is so sage as to preclude any addendum to it

We don't have a formal "policy", but common sense prevails:

* Only folding knives for everyday uses. No sheath knives. The only fixed blade knives are in the kitchen or the tackle box.

* Knives are not for hanging from belts. However, a leather pouch on the belt is fine.

* Scouts must have their Totin' Chip before carrying a knife. New scouts, who graduate from Webelos, will typically have their Whittling Chip card. As long as they can produce that, we'll let them continue to carry their knife until they've earned the Totin' Chip.

* A scout breaking a safety rule will typically have his knife temporarily confiscated. Depending upon the nature and intent of the abuse, this may be for a few minutes or until he can demonstrate proper use.

"Not for hanging on a belt.." When you buy the official BSA belt a brass attachment with a snap comes with it. I always thought it was for the Scouts official BSA folding knife.

Well, I guess you could hang a compass from it, after all, the brass will not have a negative effect on the magnetic qualities of the compass.

...Semper Paratis, Dave J!

"When you buy the official BSA belt a brass attachment with a snap comes with it. I always thought it was for the Scouts official BSA folding knife."

I think that the last place that I'd want my pocket knife is dangling from my belt where it can get banged up and collect dirt. I might consider attaching it to a lanyard and clipping that to my belt.

I have a sketch from an old Scout handbook, I'm not sure of the date but the sketch has the scout wearing pants that look like jodphurs tucked into his socks so it is between the wars. This scout apprears to be carrying his knife clipped to his belt but the picture says, "belt hook for carrying small articles."

>>We don't have a formal "policy", but common sense prevails:

* Only folding knives for everyday uses. No sheath knives. The only fixed blade knives are in the kitchen or the tackle box.

* Knives are not for hanging from belts. However, a leather pouch on the belt is fine.

I have taught knife safety to Scouts and over the years learned that the "multi-tool" type gadgets are not a good idea for the younger boys. It is usually during opening, closing, or trying to figure out the various kinds of locking devices that the boy cuts himself. And using them for whittling or other common tasks is not as safe because the handles are not ergonimic, comfortable or the blade is awkwardly set. The pliers are also a dangerous way to lift a Dutch oven lid. Many of the multi-tools have chisel-ground blades that are small but extremely sharp and can cause a deep cut with just a minor slip. The multi-tools have a definite value in camping service and I personally like the Leatherman products and Gerber look-alikes, but there are many imports that are so cheap that parents are likely to get one for their boy without knowing the hazards. They are not a substitute for a proper knife for a specific task... and I don't recommended multi-tools for the younger boys.