Screwup on the largest level

It wasn't necessarily dishonest; it might have been ignorance. But someone either knew that the rules were being flouted or should have known that they were being flouted. The former might be worse than the latter, but neither speaks highly of him or her.

ig·no·rance  (ˈiÉ¡nÉ™rÉ™ns/)

noun: lack of knowledge or information. "he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"

synonyms: incomprehension of, unawareness of, unconsciousness of, unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information.

No way this was ignorance. This was incompetence. It was ineptitude.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"YOU MUST BE THIS HIGH TO GO ON THIS RIDE".   IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO DUCK TO PASS THIS DOOR, YOU CANNOT GO ON THIS RIDE"   "NO SHOES NO SHIRT NO BEER".   "IF I ASK FOR YOUR ID, YOU CAN FEEL PROUD

interesting topic. My son earned his AOL at 10yr-4months and crossed over into the troop at 10yr-5months I knew that he's on the extreme low end of the age, but I never really considered how young

The answer would go something like this:   If he is not a "Scout," how can he earn Scouting ranks.  It is implicit that one must be a Boy Scout to earn Boy Scout ranks.    It is explicit in Second

No way this was ignorance. This was incompetence. It was ineptitude.

Calling it such is not useful and escalates a bad situation. 

We teach our scouts how to work together.  A key part of that is "civility".  Escalating from calling it ignornace to incompetance serves no purpose and moves toward a non-recoverable situation where people have to be thrown away.  That's not scouts.  As my son's recruiter said, "Attitude is everything". 

No one is getting tossed under the bus here.

Someone didn't read and sign correctly,  It was dishonesty, fraud, incompetence, ignorance, laziness, or anyone of a hundred other options other than... they did it correctly and there is no problem.  It might have been the parent's fault, the unit leadership's fault, the council's fault, national's fault, but again, it doesn't make any difference.  So in order not to perpetuate the problem any further one has to simply go by what is right in the first place otherwise this boy will always be labeled as gotten the Eagle by means other than those prescribed as appropriate by the BSA.

With no one on this forum in a position to correct a problem of this magnitude, it's possibly a good idea to just let National figure out what they wish to do with the situation.  After all, they are the ones that issue the Eagle rank.

Calling it such is not useful and escalates a bad situation. 

We teach our scouts how to work together.  A key part of that is "civility".  Escalating from calling it ignornace to incompetance serves no purpose and moves toward a non-recoverable situation where people have to be thrown away.  That's not scouts.  As my son's recruiter said, "Attitude is everything". 

Fred, what would you call a unit who has leaders that don't double check forms, double check online systems, don't review ALL pertinent information during an SMC and allow something as BASIC as the entry age to scouting go unchallenged? Wonder what else they are not checking? Med forms? Food allergies? Range safety? YPT?

C'mon. Let's stop excusing very bad mistakes and call them what they are! We CAN be good scouts AND still call a spade a spade. This wasn't a simple miss. This was a series of misses where the unit leaders had many chances to catch this. They didn't.

If they were doctors or airline pilots would you want them in charge? C'mon!

• Upvote 1