Screwup on the largest level

Feeling pretty sick about now.

New Committee Chair and relatively new Advancement Chair. Getting ready for some BORs on Monday and we were reviewing records. A kid wants a Life BOR.

And he's just turned 11.

Don't know how, but somehow he was registered when he was 9. And council must have accepted the application because he was on the council roster two years running. And I'm fairly certain that corrrect DOB is on the application. And although I haven't looked, I'm pretty certain the correct DOB is on his physical. Parents have no idea about Scouting and I'm 99.99999 percent they didn't have an idea about joining requirements. Dad is an retired fighter pilot from military. 

We also have another kid in the same boat. Also registered at age 9. And it looks like we had some crossovers who joined the troop at age 10 but did not have Arrow of Light. 

What should I do? Any suggestions? 

Not that it matters, but both are good Scouts and good kids. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"YOU MUST BE THIS HIGH TO GO ON THIS RIDE".   IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO DUCK TO PASS THIS DOOR, YOU CANNOT GO ON THIS RIDE"   "NO SHOES NO SHIRT NO BEER".   "IF I ASK FOR YOUR ID, YOU CAN FEEL PROUD

interesting topic. My son earned his AOL at 10yr-4months and crossed over into the troop at 10yr-5months I knew that he's on the extreme low end of the age, but I never really considered how young

The answer would go something like this:   If he is not a "Scout," how can he earn Scouting ranks.  It is implicit that one must be a Boy Scout to earn Boy Scout ranks.    It is explicit in Second

It does matter that they are good kids and good scouts. But that might not affect the decision.

There is no option but to be completely honest about all this to the council. The mistake seems to have been their mistake after all and I would be surprised if the council decided to try to rescind rank that they had previously approved. Those boys have evidently completed the requirements and received the approval for advancement at the council level.

And, if it was my decision, at age 11 they are now eligible to be Boy Scouts. I'd let it ride as is but I'd make sure that they and their parents understand the sensitive nature of this mistake and the possible consequences.

I know you feel bad for the boys but this is not some kind of fatal error. It's merely time to face the facts and make the needed correction. Let us know how it works out.

The boys got skills? Worst case scenario: They would have to wait until 12 years old and some change to get Eagle.

Let your DE know about the gaff, and talk to the Pack who's feeding you these youngn's.

Your biggest problem will be keeping these boys engaged over the next few years.

Hi all!

I agree with Sentinel that it would not be good at all to blame the Scouts for this error.  Glad to hear they are good young men!  Also, I agree with Stosh et al who voice concerns about the potential for problems that might arise come time to schedule the Eagle BoR.  Also, I'll echo what other have said about notifying the local district executive.  

Since I work closely with our DE concerning issues of membership, I know he'd be very interested to know this is going on.  He wants those eligible for Cub Scouts to count as Cubbies and those eligible for Boy Scouts to count in Troops.  (Numbers are important to a few!)

Well, just to ease your mind a bit, just two years ago, an 11 year old boy in the Ventura County Council became an Eagle Scout.  This district happens to be the District in which my sons participate and I know it caused a firestorm of protest and agitation, up to the national level.  This Scout was not in our troop and our troop would never sanction an 11 year old boy becoming an Eagle Scout.  The Scout had fulfilled all the requirements BUT from what I understood, that troop with the 11 year Eagle Scout had started having the Webelos work on their Boy Scout requirements and were getting signed off on them even before they had bridged over.  The majority of parents in our area were less than happy that this had taken place and that becoming an Eagle Scout by age 11, while possible, defied the Spirit of Scouting and probably not the right thing in terms of maturity.  Thankfully, he has remained in scouting even after reaching his Eagle rank.

Here's an article link:  http://www.thecamarilloacorn.com/news/2014-11-21/Schools/Teen_is_youngest_Boy_Scout_in_the_nation_to_earn_t.html

So, it's possible to reach Life, or, as noted above, even Eagle by age 11, but it's really a question of whether this fulfills the Spirit of Scouting and whether the Scout is mature enough to attain this rank.   And, if mistakes were made, then let the District know and move forward accordingly.  In my opinion, the important thing to keep in mind is that Scouting helps to mold our future generation into productive, giving members and leaders of society.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. Good advice. BTW, the kid has done two summer camps and the AT. He is a an excellent camper, etc.

However, I've decided on the following course of action: 

1)Notify the Council/District and talk about it with them.

2) Make sure the kid waits an appropriate amount of time for the Life BOR so that his time in rank needed for Star and Life sync up with what he would have done if he had joined at the right age. That way, we avoid the 11-year-old Eagle thing. I do not think the kid or the parent will have a problem with that. 

What do you think?

@@CherokeeScouter, this is not a screwup at the largest level. Are there any medical bills? Mistakes were made and now is an opportunity to show the scout how to solve them. Talk to him. If the scout is really ready to be a life scout then the news that adults make mistakes will not wreck his life, although it might delay his Life :). If he is going to cry about it then maybe he shouldn't be a life scout.

Decide what it means to be a Life scout and don't sign off until he's ready. To me, a life scout should be helping the troop quite a bit. If he's already doing that, and he really does know the skills, then repeating signing off on the skills won't take much time and another 10 months of POR is nothing more than what I'd expect any life scout. So yes, what you propose sounds good.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. Good advice. BTW, the kid has done two summer camps and the AT. He is a an excellent camper, etc.

2) Make sure the kid waits an appropriate amount of time for the Life BOR so that his time in rank needed for Star and Life sync up with what he would have done if he had joined at the right age. That way, we avoid the 11-year-old Eagle thing. I do not think the kid or the parent will have a problem with that. 

What do you think?

That's a decent plan.

What we're talking about really, is waiting until 11 years 10 months (or, if he earned AoL 10 years 10 months) to confer Life Rank.

I'd buy it ... if you sincerely believe at his 11th (or 10th) birthday the boy was first class (the concept not the patch).

Most boys don't have a problem with that sort of thing. But, then again, it doesn't sound like most boys. So, when you advise them, be prepared to challenge them. Maybe while they wait, they should try to earn a STEM or Hornaday award. Or, discuss with them about religious awards. A quick talk with the SM might give you an idea of what's best to suggest for each boy and would be the most fun for the troop to go along with.

New Committee Chair and relatively new Advancement Chair. Getting ready for some BORs on Monday and we were reviewing records. A kid wants a Life BOR.

And he's just turned 11.

The situation is what it is.  Treat it just as any other Life BOR.  Did the scout have time in rank, volunteer hours, POR, MBs and etc to earn Life?  I would not read more into it.  

What do you think?

I like #1.  It gets everyone onto the same page to help resolve things.  It averts issues if there are any.  It might help your troop leaders get on the same page too.

I'd avoid #2.  Star rank is done and awarded.  Your job is to focus on the Life requirements.  Confirm this with the council and then just move on.

Focus on the scout having positive and growing experiences.

interesting topic.

My son earned his AOL at 10yr-4months

and crossed over into the troop at 10yr-5months

I knew that he's on the extreme low end of the age, but I never really considered how young he could be and make eagle.

Honestly it hasn't been a concern since he's not a hyper-driven kid for making ranks and awards, and I'm not a parent with the make-eagle mindset.  He's more about the fun at this point, and I'm more of the hope he becomes a first class Scout (not the rank)

• Upvote 1