From Bryan Wendell's blog...

Download and read this pdf.  It is the Cooking requirements as of 1 January.

Of note, from the blog:

That means there could be three versions of requirements in use right now: one prior to the 2014 changes, one with the changes that began in 2015 and a third with the changes that began in 2016. Once a Scout begins working on a merit badge with one set of requirements, he generally may finish with that set of requirements. Or, if he likes, he may switch to the new requirements.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is why I prefer cook in camp summer camps over dining hall summer camps.  21 meals to prepare!

And one also has to take into consideration that while the MB requirements are being met, the opportunity for a weekend of camping is lost.  I guess I think a weekend of camping is probably better for

I sometimes pass this out at IOLS :     "Courageous Cookery"          by John Echo*                 Once the convert backpacker or cycle camper has accepted the subtle gustatory nuances associated

First of all, John, thank you for the important information. The rest of this isn't directed at you, but at BSA National.

Three different sets of requirements for the same merit badge in use at the same time? I suppose it doesn't matter to a Scout, who is only going to be using one. But something here strikes me as being a little unfair to the merit badge counselors who have to deal with three different sets of requirements for different Scouts.

I think this is part of what I have called the "Good Idea Syndrome" that afflicts National. People have good ideas (whether for improvements to requirements or adding additional programs and awards) all the time, but that doesn't mean the BSA has to change the requirement (or add the program) every single time someone has a good idea. I'm not talking about major wholesale changes to requirements when a new handbook comes out - in concept, that is fine (although I have issues with a few of the new requirements.) It's the piecemeal additions and changes from year to year that I think are often unnecessary and often disruptive. Certainly three different sets of Cooking MB requirements in three consecutive years strikes me as disruptive.

Added Note: Here is a link to the blog post itself. http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2016/02/02/eagle-required-cooking-merit-badges-2016-requirements-now-effect/Nine people have commented so far and it does not look any of them have the same issue with it that I do. It is interesting to look at the comments to Bryan's blog sometimes and compare them with the comments people here have on the same subject. Sometimes they go in the same direction, sometimes they don't.

Edited by NJCubScouter

I've decided not to post on the blog because  I need to "...knock it off with them negative waves."

I think changing the MBs as well as the ranks just about every year IS a recipe for a mess.  I've already cited the case about the Scout who had to get an extension for Eagle because he used one set of requirements with his old troop, only to find out when he went to a new troop the requirements had changed, and his old troop should have notified him of the changes.  Heck 1/2 the troop was concerned about the rank requirements, and that was after me going over it several times.

Wow,  I haven't read through the latest, but the first revisions in 2014 were necessary. 

To be honest I don't see much difference. The "myplate" thing is silly. Had to dumb down the food pyramid? I read somewhere how much money was spent on that and just sighed.

Still would like them to make the trail meals a bit more difficult. These days it is mostly boil and eat.

To be honest I don't see much difference. The "myplate" thing is silly. Had to dumb down the food pyramid? I read somewhere how much money was spent on that and just sighed.

Still would like them to make the trail meals a bit more difficult. These days it is mostly boil and eat.

Agree we should try to encourage real cooking on the trail if possible.  Part of the problem is that in much of the country now, backpackers have restrictions on real fires often, though there are periods still if planned.  Using a backpack stove beyond boiling and simmering is possible, but it generally takes extra parts to achieve good results.  And, if you are doing camp to camp, time is a factor.  Still, there are open fire options if the seasons cooperate, though the windows may be small.  If restrictions are too severe over time, there is usually the backyard barbecue option, though even that can be restricted on occasion.  Badge is better overall though, IMO.

Agree we should try to encourage real cooking on the trail if possible.  Part of the problem is that in much of the country now, backpackers have restrictions on real fires often, though there are periods still if planned.  Using a backpack stove beyond boiling and simmering is possible, but it generally takes extra parts to achieve good results.  And, if you are doing camp to camp, time is a factor.  Still, there are open fire options if the seasons cooperate, though the windows may be small.  If restrictions are too severe over time, there is usually the backyard barbecue option, though even that can be restricted on occasion.  Badge is better overall though, IMO.

I would have liked to see more cooking take place. Three home meals, two patrol meals and two trail meals is a bit light IMHO. Challenging scouts to make homemade trail meals could have been worked in for at least one meal.

Boil and eat?  Sounds tasty.  Trail meals for me entail a lot more than just boil and eat.  If one has a fire source to boil something they also have the same source to cook something.    The boil and eat method of trail food is because no one wants to take the time to really cook and if this is a cooking MB I would think the requirements would be on cooking, not just boiling water with food in it.

In one of the former units I was in they were planning on doing a canoe outing for the day and had plans for hot dogs for lunch.  That way they could start a fire, get the water hot and dump in the hot dogs.  I told them to count me out, I would bring my own food.  I too made a fire, cooked sweet and sour pork over rice for lunch with a coffee chaser.  I was done before their cauldron of hot dogs reached a boil.  If one does it right, it actually can be a learning experience.  I learned to boil water at a very young age.  I did boil eggs, hot dogs, potatoes, etc. but it wasn't until I got a fry pan in my hands did I learn to really cook!  :)

I sometimes pass this out at IOLS :

"Courageous Cookery"          by John Echo*    

Once the convert backpacker or cycle camper has accepted the subtle gustatory nuances associated with sustained operations beyond the chrome, he should try the advantages of ultra fringe living so that he will realize what he is paying for his nested pots and pretty pans carried so diligently and brought home so dirty after every "wilderness experience". The following system works. It is dependable and functional. It works on the big rock. It even works when the weather has gone to hell, you are wet and cold and the wind is blowing down the back of your hairy neck. It is not for the timid. It consists of a stove, a six inch sauce pan, a plastic cup and a soup spoon. If you insist on a metal cup, you must never fail to mutter "I'm having fun, I'm having fun", every time you spill the soup on your sleeping bag.

Breakfast: Instant wheat cereal-- sugar and powdered milk added-- ready two minutes after water boils. Eat from pot. Do not wash pot. Add water, boil, and add powdered eggs and ham. You'll never taste the cereal anyway. In three minutes, eat eggs. Do not wash pot. Add water or snow and boil for tea. Do not wash pot. Most of the residue eggs will come off in the tea water. Make it strong and add sugar. Tastes like tea. Do not wash pot. With reasonable technique, it should be clean. Pack pot in rucksack and enjoy last cup of tea while others are dirtying entire series of nested cookware.

Lunch: Boil pot of tea. Have snack of rye bread, cheese and dried beef Continue journey in 10 minutes if necessary.

Dinner: Boil pot of water, add Wylers dried vegetable soup and beef bar. Eat from pot. Do not wash pot. Add water and potatoes from dry potatoe powder. Add gravy mix to taste. Eat potatoes from pot. Do not wash pot. Add water and boil for tea. Fortuitous fish or meat can be cooked easily. You do not need oil or fat. Put half inch of water in pot. Add cleaned and salted fish. Do not let water boil away. Eat from pot when done. Process can be done rapidly. Fish can even be browned somewhat by a masterful hand.

Do not change menu. Variation only recedes from the optimum. Beginners may be allowed to wash pot once a day for three consecutive days only. It is obvious that burning or sticking food destroys the beauty of the technique. If you insist on carrying a heavier pack, make up the weight you save with extra food. Stay three days longer.

*(( The true author of this article is unknown. It is here copied from the COME HOSTELING newsletter, Sept. 1980, of the Potomac Area Council of the American Youth Hostels, who received it from Dick Schwanke, Senior PAC Staff Trainer, who read it in the APPALACHIAN HIKER by Ed Garvey, who got it from the Potomac Appalachian Trail Conference Bulletin, which quoted it from THE RAMBLER of the Wasatch Mountain Club of Salt Lake City, which reportedly cribbed it from the I.A.C. News of Idaho Falls, which reported it from the 1966 PEAKS & TRAILS. I offer it here for your enjoyment and inspiration. Note that some of the ingredients are a bit dated. Adjust as necessary. Enjoy!))

• Upvote 1

OK.  I'll be the heretic, parlour scout and/or paper eagle, which ever pejorative you prefer.  I think all the backpacking, trail and camping meals should be totally removed from the Cooking MB and moved into the Backpacking, Hiking and Camping MBs (isn't there also a cooking requirement in Fishing MB?).  The Cooking MB should be focused on food safety, the different skills, methods and options for cooking in the home, and maybe expanded to commercial/large-scale kitchens.  In theory, the scouts are learning at least some camp cooking skills on the T21 trail that can be expanded in the other outdoor oriented merit badges, allowing cooking to be come more of a life-skills/career oriented MB.

I try to eat pretty much the same way I eat at home when I'm camping.  It's not that hard to do.  To think that one has to forego the culinary arts and replace with a tear open boil option is not what I have in mind.  I for one don't cook 3 meals a day at home, why would that change when I'm in the field?

A lot of the culinary arts are left to boxed meals because one hasn't learned how to actually cook.  Thus the MB.  However, if the Cooking MB isn't going to really teach anyone to cook, what's the sense of having it?

After all, any Cub Scout can have burnt foil dinners any day of the week, but with the same ingredients, I have hamburger and onion gravy over mashed potatoes with brown sugar glazed carrots on the side.  Cooking MB should teach actual cooking.

Now, granted, I did Cooking MB back in 1968-71 or so.  I can't remember exactly when.

I do know I learned to broil/ pan broil meat, make stews and soups, prepare fruit, salads, and veggies, and make some form of breadstuff.

Today, I ...

- Broil steaks, chicken and fish ... on gas and charcoal.

- Make mac and cheese, chili, chicken noodle soup, pot roast, vegetable beef soup, and other casserole dishes

- Bake biscuits and quick-breads.  We'll talk about yeast breads another day.

- Make a pretty decent cheese enchildada.

- Open ice cream containers for dessert ;-)

- Make an array of sandwiches with lunch meats and peanut butter

Is my food restaurant worthy?  Nahhh.  Is it good?  Much of it. 

If you know me at all, and have been around here a few days, you know I was one of the people who really thought Cooking should be back on the Eagle Required list.  Young men need to know how to make a dinner ... it's a courtship technique ;-), it's a bachelor survival skill, it helps married life, and for those of us for whom it's happened, it's a post-divorce survival skill.

If there is only one MB I'm glad I earned, it's cooking!

I never got the Cooking MB, but I could cook on an open fire even before I got into Boy Scouts.  It comes from having a progressive mother.  :)  When I went off to college, I knew how to cook, do laundry, iron, clean house and sew.  Hardly a day goes by I don't thank her for such a blessing.  My wife does too.  :)