our great troop, or why i like scouting

Just thought I’d share a nice outing, because we don’t always see good news right? 

I’m a mom and outings planner for our troop.  I went with our troop this weekend to a cabin at a scout camp in northern Michigan with plans for skiing at a ski hill 3 miles away.  Got to camp Friday evening, unpacked, scouts played some euchre.  I went to bed on the adult half of the cabin with a pillow over my head.  Oh well, glad to see the boys playing cards, laughing, and having fun.

Saturday morning the SPL organized some scouts to cook and some to clean.  We had a nice biscuit/gravy and scrambled egg breakfast since we had access to an oven.  Celebrated a birthday for a scout turning 16.  I think I like breakfast dessert!  Some scouts headed outside, one came promptly back in, he had fell and cut the back of his knee on a tree.  First Aid kit was located by a scout, and cut was cared for.  Duct tape was found and pants that were ripped from knee to ankle were repaired.

Next we all hiked across the lake.  Some cubs from another group had set out some tip-ups on the ice.  Looked cool, wonder if they got anything for dinner that night?  We got to the camp’s sled hill and a football field.  Some of the scouts tossed around a football in the snow, others did some sledding.  Loved watching them help and interact with our autistic scout.  One of the scouts offered his hand to me when I was struggling up the sled hill.

Back for lunch and then off to the ski hill.  A couple scouts had never skied (and a mom).  They got a lesson and seemed to catch on pretty quickly.  I love that these scouts get to try new activities!  A dad who wasn’t skiing set up dinner in the ski lodge for us, crockpots with nacho fixings.  Scouts could stop in for dinner or a rest whenever they wanted to.  I like seeing their friendships and camaraderie.

Got back to scout camp so tired, sledding then 7 hours skiing will do that!  No euchre on Saturday night.

Got up Sunday, a dad who was in a bit of hurry started breakfast.  Ate, scouts cleaned the kitchen area.  SPL organized the scouts into cabin cleaning.  No one likes bathroom duty and I heard a couple “just power through it†from a mom.  A scout mopped the whole place, others moved cots for him.  That place looked about 10 times better than when we got there.  I was really impressed and proud of them!

All in all, we aren’t a perfect troop (could be more scout lead) but I think the troop is great.  I saw teamwork, empathy, leadership, happiness, friendship, and a spic-and-span lodge.  I didn’t see complaints, bickering, arguing, or an x-box! 

It was a great weekend.

• Upvote 2

Isn't it encouraging to observe the "wildlife" from a distance? :cool:

P.S. -- I hate cabins. If at all possible, I will set up a hammock or a tarp just outside of them. In exchange for enduring cold temperatures, I get  a good look at the stars and better sleep in the absence of all the chatter and smells. But, it does give the boys a chance to model basic housekeeping.

cnew2,

Things may not always be perfect, but I really don't ever expect them to be. Sounds like a great weekend. Rock on. My old troop would usually take a cabin trip each January out at our council camp. We'd do a service project for the ranger, and have a lot of fun.

sst3rd