Lucky you! I've been trying for along time to get my district to approve a scout show and haven't got to do one yet! But in my research (so I'm prepared when they do say yes!) I"ve been attending Scout shows around the state. I've seen some really cool things, there's lot's you can do.

The two best ones I've seen are a short talk about LNT and the impact we have in the backcountry. Then they set up a sample campsite with "right and wrong" things to do. They had you write down everything you saw then gave an answer sheet when you were done. They not only listed the right and wrong but the why and how.

Another was a setup a troop had made demoing the local wildlife in their woods that you may find. Pictures, fur, terrain, etc. They also talked about how to stow the fodd and gear if you were out there to keep it away from the animals and why it's important to hike everything out when your through. Then they had a quiz for the public to take. One board showed pitures of animals, the other pictures of footprints. If you got "x" right, they gave you a prize.

Another couple cool things I saw was a demo on terrain and why the proper footwear is important. They set up a trail with different things like sand, rocks, hard trail dirt, etc. And had the public walk through. Then had a few diferrent shoes sliced open so you could see the layers and why certain ones were better than other for hiking.

Another was a larger scale they set up. The Public, if they so chose, could put on a typically loaded pack for their height and weight and saw how much it weighted. I think they also talked about the ten essentials.

Other things I've seen is dutch oven cooking, sample campsites (but everyone does this), monkey bridges, demos on knots, archery, etc.

Most importantly, if the register doesn't have you do this already, you might do it. Choose first, second, and third choice of what you want to do, and tell the chair you want to do something different than other troops and groups. I went to one scout show who didn't do that. They had 20 troops and at least 15 of them did a sample campsite! You want to be different and unique than the rest! ;)

If interested, I've got more ideas. Hope this helps!

Hands on is best. Our unit does flint and steel. there is always a line and we have "encorage" scouts to move on. How ever this would require working out doors and you didn't state if it was indoors or out. (invest $122 on ten kits and when the show is over you have a new troop toy)

My second choice would be rope making (see pioneering MB book for simple to make jig).

Third - free food is always a hit. Dutch oven demo, whole turkey on a chain, fried dough...

Your'e right Wingnut, anything interactive is a great hit, not only for the public, but also for the troop in the situation of creating teaching, and leading at the booth. It could be a team builder within the troop too.

Actually, just about any Merit Badge or advencement skills are good to do. Compass is another good one.

It really depends on if it's outdoors or not and how large an area you have to work with.

One of the troops at our Council Scout Show last year was making homemade camp stoves. They brought all the materials with them and demonstrated how to make them.

Another troop set up a smoke house, and did "Escape from the Burning Building" for Cub Scouts. This was a good one!

Someone else was doing ,'set up the tent races'. A terrific challenge event. Side by side, identical Timberline tents. Someone says GO and you start the stop watch. Great fun!