New Scouts, Patrols, A thought experiment.

Troop has around 50 scouts.  SM, 10 parent ASMs at each meeting (probably around 4 to 5 on outings), 4 Eagled Out ASMs.  SPL and PLs are elected on a troop-wide basis.  ASPL is selected by SPL from a list provided by SM.  APL are assigned by SM.  Patrols are assigned by SM on an annual basis.  New scouts are assigned to patrols when they cross over.  We have 3 to 4 Packs that send us scouts anywhere from the beginning of March to mid-April.  We have gotten around 10 new scouts each year and keep around 9 of them.

As for the new scouts, they complete most of their T-1st requirements as part of the First Class Adventure at summer camp, so there isn't a big focus on that.  We tried an NSP last year.  We found that trying to teach the new scouts the requirements as a separate patrol seemed to be like Webelos 3 in that they are being instructed in skills -- with the only difference being it is an older scout rather than an adult.  It wasn't what the new scouts wanted to do.  The boys just wanted to have fun as part of the regular patrols.  

Our Troop has an amazing feel to it because the older boys really do include and make friends with the new scouts.  A lot of them know the older scouts from when they were in Cub Scouts together.  The boys decided around 10 years ago to go to mixed age patrols because those boys remembered what it was like to be the patrol of new scouts when the older scout patrol ignored and shunned them.  Their solution was that all the patrols would be mixed age.  The troop grew under that model from around 12 scouts to 40 scouts.  We made the jump from 40 to 50 by ramping up our outdoor program and becoming more boy led over the last couple of years.

I realize there are a LOT of things that we need to do better in terms of boy-led using the patrol method.  As an ASM, we've made a lot of progress in other areas (such as leading on outdoor program) but we have miles to go.  The irony of the situation is that it will take adult leadership to move the troop further toward being boy-led.  If they ask me to be SM....

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder about the origins of these sorts of rules, did it come form a long ago scout or from an adult, and now it just stands as SOP because the boys don't know anything different? (as in the boys do

I like this because my troop is NOTHING like yours!  

@Stosh  That's exactly what I'm looking for in this thread. It gives me a really clear idea of why you do what you do. I give you a ton of respect for pushing forward in a situation like that. I don'

We have SPL elections for the following year in the spring.  New SPL appoints 2 ASPL and Quartermaster and by summer camp they have a rough plan for the year put together to go over with the SM.

SPL puts scouts into patrols, with input from SM if he asks.  This year it was mostly by school grade with a couple people moved around because of personality conflicts, etc.  We have 3 patrols this year with about 8 boys each.  Patrols elect their PL and APL.

When WEBLOS cross in the spring they are put into their own patrol and elect their own PL and APL.  SPL appoints a troop guide to work with them.  In their patrol meetings they get training on how the troop works regarding advancement and leadership as well as working with the scouts to achieve the tenderfoot rank by summer camp.  In the fall they will be worked into the regular patrols.

We are in a fairly rural area.  26 scouts, 1 SM 3 ASM.  There is another troop less than 1/2 mile away, we seem to be more inclusive and have a few boys with developmental disabilities.  We will be getting 5 crossovers this month.

Edited by andysmom