Cost for Jamboree - is this reasonable?

Our troop is in California. I inquired at the Council level about their plans for sending a contingent to Jamboree. They tell me the cost is going to be $3,500. The cost includes an east coast tour of an additional 5 to 7 days to Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and other parts of Virginia. I'm told that this added east coast tour is typical of "virtually every west coast council contingent" going to Jamboree. $3,500 and 16 days or so seems like a lot of time and money to me. Is this really typical for troops coming from the west coast?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Respectfully disagree. The cost is $975 for the week. That's what the councils are billed. As @@Snow Owl pointed out most of the costs for sightseeing in DC is free, though Lord knows the food is expe

Our troop is in California. I inquired at the Council level about their plans for sending a contingent to Jamboree. They tell me the cost is going to be $3,500. The cost includes an east coast tour of

I've researched further and now I'm thinking that maybe $3,500 is a bargain. Los Angeles charges $4,800 to $6,000 depending on which added tour you want to attend, Oregon is $3,500, which also include

I've researched further and now I'm thinking that maybe $3,500 is a bargain. Los Angeles charges $4,800 to $6,000 depending on which added tour you want to attend, Oregon is $3,500, which also includes an east coast tour.... Every one I looked at included an east coast tour except Sacramento, which you could choose to just do the Summit only or the tour too, but even the Summit only cost was around $3,000.

• Downvote 1

I've researched further and now I'm thinking that maybe $3,500 is a bargain. Los Angeles charges $4,800 to $6,000 depending on which added tour you want to attend, Oregon is $3,500, which also includes an east coast tour.... Every one I looked at included an east coast tour except Sacramento, which you could choose to just do the Summit only or the tour too, but even the Summit only cost was around $3,000.

We are similar in how our council approaches jamboree, although our definition of "reasonable" may differ. It was nearly $6,000 for me and my son to attend were we to go. I got our family to Disney World for a week, including food and transport for the same price. THAT was reasonable.

What was unreasonable was that my council would not let me find my own way to jamboree to save money. The cost of jamboree itself is MUCH cheaper. Were you to plan your own way there you could save thousands. So, for my money, the cost is not commensurate with the value of the trip.

If my council didn't subsidize my trip to the Centennial Jamboree, I would not have attended.  The cost and the "A Scout is Thrifty" ideal did not add up in any way shape or form for me.  The cost of all new tents, patrol setups, kitchen setups, silk screened backpacks, silk screened duffel bags, neckers, travel, etc. much of which was for me a total waste of money.  It would seem that image was more important than being thrifty.  For me, Jambo, Philmont, etc. are all "once-in-a-lifetime" events for me, I would never pay that kind of money to ever go again.  For $6,000 I could travel to Seattle, jump the ferry all the way up to Ancorage, enjoying every little port of call.   Then drive to Denali for a few days of backpacking, only to return via the land route through Canada enjoying the Canadian Rockies all the way back.  I could probably do it with my old backpack and duffel I got from the Centennial Jamboree.  Maybe not, at that price, I could probably buy all new, including an RV.

• Upvote 1

The cost for my son to go in 2017 is $1950 from our Council in MA. That includes coach transportation, and a day side trip on either end (Gettysburg on the way down and Hershey Park on the way back). Given that you are including a whole extra week of food and housing (plus entrance fees for whatever activities are planned), and airfare from CA, it probably isn't a bad deal.

From Laurel Highland's Council (about four hours from Beckly) the cost is $1450.

But that is just 5-6 hours away (depending on where from the council the coaches depart). And, since we can to D.C. anytime, there is no reason for an extra week of touring.

I kind of regret that Jamborees no longer rotate location so that scouts in different parts have a chance at lower costs.

In 1960 I attended the Colorado Springs event, going on Santa Fe RR from San Bernardino.  We slept in the train pullman beds, two per, toured in Arizona briefly, half day in Santa Fe, Garden of the Gods and general drive-view of the area around Colorado Springs.  Had the event, then continued to Cheyenne to the big rodeo, to Utah and the Great Salt Lake, big copper (?) mine, Tabernacle, then on to San Francisco with overnight in a hotel and half free day along with taking over a restaurant in China Town, then finally home.  Our trip to Sacramento was cancelled due to train track washouts in the Great Basin.  Also, had three prior meetings, including pre jamboree training at George AFB.  Cost, with uniforming and troop id stuff was $450.  Here is a comparison using an online conversion link.  

$450 in 1960 dollars equals $3,603.30 in 2015

So, you can decide.  Seems to me, they are comparable, though do feel many councils have too much fringe stuff.  Could there be a stripped down trip.  Possibly, but part of the experience is the trip itself and seeing stuff you might never see again, at least with peers in your youth.  

Cost, with uniforming and troop id stuff was $450.  Here is a comparison using an online conversion link.  

$450 in 1960 dollars equals $3,603.30 in 2015

So, you can decide.  Seems to me, they are comparable, though do feel many councils have too much fringe stuff.  Could there be a stripped down trip.  Possibly, but part of the experience is the trip itself and seeing stuff you might never see again, at least with peers in your youth.  

Good analysis comparing yesterday and today. But for the comparison of value to be complete, shouldn't you compare the cost of Jamboree with the costs of other vacation/experiences you can have?

I use my Disney example: $6k for family of four, meals and transport for a week.

Jambo: $6k for two people to sleep in tents, eat camp food, etc.

Good analysis comparing yesterday and today. But for the comparison of value to be complete, shouldn't you compare the cost of Jamboree with the costs of other vacation/experiences you can have?

I use my Disney example: $6k for family of four, meals and transport for a week.

Jambo: $6k for two people to sleep in tents, eat camp food, etc.

Well, but you're talking about one week at Disney vs. more than two weeks at the Jamboree, including related touring, etc. Even if you figure a "discount" for the more rustic accommodations, you have to balance that with the fact that it's a Scouting event (for which we always pay extra, usually willingly), and an event that only happens once every four years.

The 2013 Jambo cost was around $900 IIRC, my council in Illinois charged $1500.  That included the Jambo fee, bus transport out and back, a few camp outs and outings along the way, t-shirts, hats, backpacks, bolos, patches, trading coins, something simulating per diem for the road meals, etc.  The fee was the same for leaders and scouts.  I think they're asking $1650 or something this time.  The 2010 Jamboree from our council included a few days in DC but the cost was significantly higher around $2500 I think.

Well, but you're talking about one week at Disney vs. more than two weeks at the Jamboree, including related touring, etc. Even if you figure a "discount" for the more rustic accommodations, you have to balance that with the fact that it's a Scouting event (for which we always pay extra, usually willingly), and an event that only happens once every four years.

For my council it is 9 days; a week at jambo and the rest travel/sightseeing.

For my Disney comparison it was 7 days there plus 4 days travel (and sightseeing).

For my council it is 9 days; a week at jambo and the rest travel/sightseeing.

For my Disney comparison it was 7 days there plus 4 days travel (and sightseeing).

I was going by the original poster's estimate of 16 days.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to do and how much money is available to do it. I myself have never been to either Disney World or a national (or world) Jamboree.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to do and how much money is available to do it. I myself have never been to either Disney World or a national (or world) Jamboree.

Been to both (MoreRain SP 1977). I left the decision (twice) to my scout, he picked Disney both times. ;)

My folks took each of the grandchildren to Disney World when they turned 6.

My folks were well off.

I could buy my house with the money it would take to do that for my grandkids.  They're going to have to settle for a Yellowstone trip when they're 6.  My senior pass gets us in for free!  :)