Scouting Commercials

Recently I've seen commercials promoting the values of Girl Scouting in my area. My son has been involved in scouting for about 7 years in two different parts of the country and I have never seen a commercial promoting Cub or Boy Scouts. Is this normal for Cub and Boy Scouting?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a family that is full of techies. One family has a video producer. They do our annual recruiting videos...the boys, not the adults. The adults assist, provide technology and insights but the b

Good question. Poor management, fixation on political issues, lack of direction, inability to develop successful solutions to key problems.   In a word, leadership. See Gates thread.

+1   Additional thought:   it's probably just as well that the BSA doesn't pursue commercials on a national level.   Like everything else Irving does, the effort would probably make the entire scout

I have no memory of ever seeing one either.

and the stuff I have seen, like promotional and training videos from their website, aren't what i would call very effective.

A while back somebody posted some scouting commercials from some other country that were quite good.

I thought that TV program (tougher than a Boy Scout) was good. To bad they took it off the air.

In this day and age of YouTube and social media, the fact BSA is not focusing on using those channels is telling.

Edited by Krampus
... A while back somebody posted some scouting commercials from some other country that were quite good.

You mean this one from Scouts South Africa?

Or was it this one from Scouts UK?

Or this home-grown "Happy Scouts" challenge from Slovenia?

(Seriously, if you're having a bad day, take a moment to search the YouTube for "Happy Scouts".)

Regarding BSA on network TV, your local council would have to pay to run the spot, and here's the collection they have to choose from:

http://www.scouting.org/Home/Marketing/Brand/PFL_Videos.aspx

Edited by qwazse

that South African spot was one of the ones I was referring to.

some good ads there...

My opinion is that good TV ads would be a good thing of course, but I don't think people watch commercials like they used to.  DVR's allow fast forwarding to skip them (what I do).  

Also a lot of folks are cutting the cable and going back to broadcast tv, but cable is still big & I'll bet more folks are watching cable than they are local channels.....but even worse against TV commercials is that  I think a lot of it especially kids, is watching streaming stuff (youtube, netflix, etc...)

I think the money would be better spent to produce a good TV show.  Yeah, i know... a lot more expensive, but maybe BSA could partner with some outdoor gear manufacturing companies or something....

I'm thinking something better than taht Tougher than a Boy Scout thing.... I saw one episode of that, it was ok but not exactly grabbing.  I think a scout executive type like bear grylls doing some really high adventure stuff with some young scouts each week, in a format that really teaches a viewer some woodcraft stuff and entertains at the same time

I think a scout executive type like bear grylls doing some really high adventure stuff with some young scouts each week, in a format that really teaches a viewer some woodcraft stuff and entertains at the same time

ROFL....

well, yeah of course.  I never figured they'd produce his stuff always at extreme risk.... or extremely remote locations always.  Sometimes it prob is.  Especially his latest show where he's going out with famous actors and such...

I saw one where he had some actor repelling down a pretty seriously high cliff.  Even if they played camera tricks, it was still cool... that's what i meant.... repelling out of copters, and cool flashy stuff might really grab a boys attention... and maybe encourage the venture scouting movement to boot!

Now I used to like watching Les Stroud's show.  As I understand it taht was the real deal.

Now I used to like watching Les Stroud's show.  As I understand it taht was the real deal.

Les is the real deal. BSA should work with him. Imagine him and some kids doing a show where he teaches them skills. Troops picked at random. Kids would watch that.

Thanks for all of the replies. There are people out there that doesn't know that scouting still exists. When I make a stop with my son before or after troop meetings you would be surprised at how many people say that they didn't know there were boy scouts in the area.  

Any one remember 'Follow the rugged road" ads in the late '60s? Not sure if they were a national ad program or just a local one. Nor do I know if they had much impact on membership numbers, but they sure made me (at nine or ten)want to grab a canoe, some beans and bacon, and head for the backcountry rivers

Edited by Oldscout448