Recruiting and Retention Ideas..Plan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 3rd Grade teacher taught me to break things down to a word problem:   "Mr. Tahawk bought 63 bags of mulch from his local Cub Scout Pack. Each bag weighs 50 lbs. The average Cub Scout weighs 64 lb

I hate the fund raising, too. My solution to the situation is to have a meeting upfront with the parents and let them know that IF they want to pay for their son's scouting on their own, they may do s

You're not kidding. Reminds me of the local middle school ice hockey team I heard about where they ended up having to make a rule that in order to attend the games, the parents had to attend an anger

Ok so meeting was good but kinda disappointing.

I only had 4 parents show up.  :mellow:

Anyhoo, 2 of the parents that filled the committee were there. I appointed one of them as fundraising chair person. Just said I cant handle it. I will get info on fundraising but I want you to check into it. I then handed her 4 different fundraisers info sheets. (some from me, some from the council). She said awesome I was hoping you would give it to me and she didnt say it sarcastically.  :cool: She has already setup the pancake breakfast at Applebees. Just need to make the deposits to hold the spots.

I took Stosh's advice and said we can defray some cost with fundraising but some will need to be paid in cash/check for each trip. I told them I cant commit to week long trips yet with my younger kids, but I am here to try and do more fun activities but I need parents help to do so. I cant do it alone. I told them of potential trips we are thinking about and I think I got the attention for help. I also said any trips that we do are family invited. So if you want the entire family to go just let me know. I encourage families to go on any and all trips we take. I said I will more than likely bring my family as well. Scouting is more than just boy, its family.

My other ASM took the new Weblos parents and told them about out Troop. He got two parents to commit to ASM once the boys cross over. (April and August)

I got my troop boys together before the meeting and told them that we have potential new recruits and to remember that feeling of being new. The SPL got the idea and quickly got on top of things. They went over the Scout ranking. Also taught or retaught them the square knot. They went over their favorite merit badges and what they liked about them. I asked them about some potential trips (ideas for NASA space museum, caving, etc..) They took it from there rehashing the fun they all had. 

We also started doing the Citizen in the World merit badge. While it was not persay "fun" it was part of our normal meetings. 

We then had a knot relay, split into two teams of three. The Webols tied the square knot, while the older boys tied the taut line and two half hitches. Winner only received bragging rights but they enjoyed it. 

I had a guy that was entering scouts after I was leaving. He came back and signed up to be an ASM. So I have more help on that front as well. 

I think with my joining I have pumped some new life into the troop and we are on our way back to having fun.

Thanks for the help. Ill keep everyone updated.

I train my venturers to never count what didn't happen, That's the path to discouragement.

Four adults wanted to hear from you. Huzzah! One who will be the boy's sales coach? Ka-Ching!

ASMs ... tell your CC his job #1 is to get them trained. Especially about boy-led.

You are young enough to remember the times that adults breathing down the back of your neck made you unhappy or adults doing things for you made you lazy. 'Nuff said.

Some here are gonna throw red flags ...

• about the family camping. It's a compromise you are willing to make. Just remember the boys didn't sign on to be babysitters. Many of them did sign on to get out from under the 'rents! Make sure they set up camp far away (as in football field or the next hollow over) from your family site. This may mean having to reserve two sites if you are going to a standard boy scout camp. Talk to your rangers and ask them what they think would work best. Maybe everyone meets for morning flags and reveille, but that's about it.
  • about MB classes during meetings. Keep those to a minimum and only if the boys ask to do one. Make sure they can't get signed off all at once at the last class. They can get the counselor's phone # and meet with him/her on their own time (our troop allows that to be a break-out session during our meeting) to wrap things up. All those "tell","explain","do" requirements should be done no more than a couple of boys at a time with a counselor. Less worksheets = more fun. The reason you discuss an MB during the meeting is to plan an activity related to the badge (e.g., skype with a scout in another country).

Good scouting to you. And really, you're gonna owe the Mrs. big time. So put aside $$! ;)

Anyhoo, 2 of the parents that filled the committee were there. I appointed one of them as fundraising chair person. Just said I cant handle it. I will get info on fundraising but I want you to check into it. I then handed her 4 different fundraisers info sheets. (some from me, some from the council). She said awesome I was hoping you would give it to me and she didnt say it sarcastically.  :cool: She has already setup the pancake breakfast at Applebees. Just need to make the deposits to hold the spots.

Word of advice from someone that's been there: understand the difference between what the committee does and the SM/ASMs. Sounds like you're getting sucked into doing the committee's job. Fundraising is not your domain, nor is rechartering, advancement records, collecting money for summer camp, .... I used to do all that and finally said no more.

• Upvote 1

Word of advice from someone that's been there: understand the difference between what the committee does and the SM/ASMs. Sounds like you're getting sucked into doing the committee's job. Fundraising is not your domain, nor is rechartering, advancement records, collecting money for summer camp, .... I used to do all that and finally said no more.

+5 (if I could). Remember what Yoda said...

• Upvote 1

yeah, right! Forgot about that one...

Hey, what about those new two wheeled wheel barrows?  They look to be much more stable...

Alas the G2SS states that no one wheel, two wheel, or four wheel carrying devices can be used by those under 14.

HOWEVER nothing in the G2SS states anything about 3 wheeled carrying devices. :) 

• Upvote 2

I've found the best retention and recruiting tool is an active program. One that camps nearly every month. And if you don't go camping, you need some type of activity instead.

My troop growing up kept folks active until 18 and a lot stayed on as ASMs.  If they did quit, it was for one of the following reasons:

1)  Didn't like camping.

2)  School/ Sports

3) Perfume

4) Car fumes

5) Job ( to support their perfume and car fume habit).

6) college/ military

My son's troop isn't focused on advancement. We are not as organized as some troops, both the adult  organized and youth organized ones. His troop focuses on putting the "OUTING in ScOUTING." They camp 11 times a year, with a lock in the 12th time. When we had to cancel a trip due to too many Scouts not being able to attend due to school, we postponed it and did 2 trips in one month.

My troop didn't have a feeder pack until I turned 17. We recruited by word of mouth. We also had a great program we used; Wilderness Survival.

Alas the G2SS states that no one wheel, two wheel, or four wheel carrying devices can be used by those under 14.

HOWEVER nothing in the G2SS states anything about 3 wheeled carrying devices. :)

So three and six wheel carts are clearly okay...

image1-300x214.jpg

• Upvote 1

I find nothing about where or how a third wheel would be attached to change the vehicle from a 1/2/4 to a 3.    :cool: