Recruiting and Retention Ideas..Plan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 3rd Grade teacher taught me to break things down to a word problem:   "Mr. Tahawk bought 63 bags of mulch from his local Cub Scout Pack. Each bag weighs 50 lbs. The average Cub Scout weighs 64 lb

I hate the fund raising, too. My solution to the situation is to have a meeting upfront with the parents and let them know that IF they want to pay for their son's scouting on their own, they may do s

You're not kidding. Reminds me of the local middle school ice hockey team I heard about where they ended up having to make a rule that in order to attend the games, the parents had to attend an anger

Why not?    Bags open.  Wagons hold movable amounts.  Shovels move shovels-full.  The patrols probably included at least some members over 97 lb.

My 3rd Grade teacher taught me to break things down to a word problem:

"Mr. Tahawk bought 63 bags of mulch from his local Cub Scout Pack. Each bag weighs 50 lbs. The average Cub Scout weighs 64 lbs. There are 12 boys unloading the trailer.

How long will it take to unload the trailer when it stops at Mr. Tahawk's house? How many bags will the lightest boy unload? How many bags will the heaviest boy unload? How many boys will sit down and refuse to do work because it is 'too hard' or the bags are 'too heavy'? How long until the first adult has an aneurysm because it is taking too long?"

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 2

My 3rd Grade teacher taught me to break things down to a word problem:

"Mr. Tahawk bought 63 bags of mulch from his local Cub Scout Pack. Each bag weighs 50 lbs. The average Cub Scout weighs 64 lbs. There are 12 boys unloading the trailer.

How long will it take to unload the trailer when it stops at Mr. Tahawk's house? How many bags will the lightest boy unload? How many bags will the heaviest boy unload? How many boys will sit down and refuse to do work because it is 'too hard' or the bags are 'too heavy'? How long until the first adult has an aneurysm because it is taking too long?"

Did she not teach reading?  :p  He said former Cub Scout. So your word problem is flawed from the first sentence. 

one comment on the fundraising thing, and parents or scouts doing it.

A few years back, I bought some mulch form one of our former cub scouts, delivery included.

When it came time for delivery, I was surprised when one of the leaders pulled up with his truck and huge trailer and a bunch of the adult leaders piled out to do the unloading and toting to the top of my driveway.   Silly me, I was expecting a bunch of Scouts.

I would expect a team of Scouts and adult leaders. When I was a Scout, I would have wanted to be part of the delivery teams, and when I say "part of" I really mean leading the delivery teams. Just takes away another opportunity for the Scouts to do and lead in the name of adult convenience. 

Can a 95 pound 1st year Scout move all that mulch himself? Of course not. Can a whole patrol? Maybe. What about two patrols? a Troop is a team. Boy Scouts can't sell Christmas trees or do cook whole spaghetti dinners without help either, I don't see the difference here. 

Seriously???? You were expecting some Tiger Cub to drag a 50# bag of mulch up your driveway?

Upon further reading.... FORMER Cub Scout.  So I'll rephrase that, You were expecting some 97# Webelos cross-over to drag a 50# bag of mulch up your driveway?  :)

ummm.... yep

along with a few 15-17 year olds and a few adults

maybe with some carts, wheel barrows, or dollies....

Some of those young guys are almost my size!

Did the Scouts plan this?  Were they guided in considering what resources  might be needed?

Let us say that the exercise is a failure.  So what?  Boy Scouting does not exist to execute efficient mulch spreading.

“t can be a very messy business, and painful to watch. Meetings where the boy leaders are in charge can be very chaotic. And it can be very tempting for adults to jump in and sort things out, because that is what adults do. But we have to remember that that is the process of Scouting. That is how they learn—even from disorganization and failure.â€

I used to umpire youth baseball - Little League through high school.  It was amazing how many adults acted as if the failure of a boy was their failure - think  "aneurysm" 

At least in youth baseball, you didn't have adults taking the mound or striding to the plate, bat in hand.  But that is exactly what I constantly see in troops.
  • Upvote 1

Did the Scouts plan this?  Were they guided in considering what resources  might be needed?

Let us say that the exercise is a failure.  So what?  Boy Scouting does not exist to execute efficient mulch spreading.

I used to umpire youth baseball - Little League through high school.  It was amazing how many adults acted as if the failure of a boy was their failure - think  "aneurysm" 

At least in youth baseball, you didn't have adults taking the mound or striding to the plate, bat in hand.  But that is exactly what I constantly see in troops.

Well stated.  

They would if they could. ;)

You're not kidding. Reminds me of the local middle school ice hockey team I heard about where they ended up having to make a rule that in order to attend the games, the parents had to attend an anger management/sportsmanship class. Not the kids, the parents. I am sure some of the dads would gladly have gotten onto the ice to show the opposing dads a lesson.

• Upvote 2

No wheelbarrows, I think those are prohibited by G2SS now. :)

yeah, right! Forgot about that one...

Hey, what about those new two wheeled wheel barrows?  They look to be much more stable...

yeah, right! Forgot about that one...

Hey, what about those new two wheeled wheel barrows?  They look to be much more stable...

Only as stable as the scouts' ability to avoid any mention of "chariot" and "race." :eek:

• Upvote 1

Only as stable as the scouts' ability to avoid any mention of "chariot" and "race." :eek:

Gee Mr. Smith, the little handle grippy things just came off and little Billy was in the wheelbarrow.  See those trees down at the bottom of the hill by the river next to the cliff?  The rest of the boys are down there looking for him right now. :rolleyes: 

Gee Mr. Smith, the little handle grippy things just came off and little Billy was in the wheelbarrow.  See those trees down at the bottom of the hill by the river next to the cliff?  The rest of the boys are down there looking for him right now. :rolleyes:

As you know, they can do that sort of thing without wheels.  0___0