Recruiting and Retention Ideas..Plan

Ok so I attended a round-table meeting last week with the district. 

I quickly noticed a few things that I need to address within my troop. 

The list is as follows:

1)Committee positions need to be filled.

2)Recruitment of new boys

3)Retention of the scouts

1)

Right now we have 2 people on the committee. This has to change. I cant effectively do my job as a SM if I dont have a committee behind me. Ill be spread to thin and the burn out and etc... will follow. I am setting up fundraisers, getting permits etc... I can keep doing it, but Id rather we get back to the committee way.

Suggestions, ideas?

2)

We have 7 boys right now. 2 are getting ready to tap out as Eagles. 

The rest are (1)Star (1)First Class (2) Second Class (1) Scout

I have 2 that will be crossing over from the "feeder" cub scout den. (We have a cub scout group with 30 boys, meets same place same Troop number) They wont be crossing over until May.

Ideas on gaining new members. Essentially I need to get the parents involved. They will be the deciding factor in joining.

3)

I had one boy leave. I am getting the entire story on him. I am going to try and sit down and see if I can get him back.

I have another who sporadically comes.

I am debating on have a sit down with all scouting parents. I guess you would call it an open forum, get to know you meeting. Try to get everyone on the same page, introduce myself, etc...

Good/Bad idea suggestions?

Edited by htusa31
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 3rd Grade teacher taught me to break things down to a word problem:   "Mr. Tahawk bought 63 bags of mulch from his local Cub Scout Pack. Each bag weighs 50 lbs. The average Cub Scout weighs 64 lb

I hate the fund raising, too. My solution to the situation is to have a meeting upfront with the parents and let them know that IF they want to pay for their son's scouting on their own, they may do s

You're not kidding. Reminds me of the local middle school ice hockey team I heard about where they ended up having to make a rule that in order to attend the games, the parents had to attend an anger

You have an "established" troop with a blend of ages.  One patrol.

First of all are you two older boys "tapping" out or aging out?  Big difference if you have experienced 16 year olds getting their Eagle and quitting and experienced 16 year olds getting Eagle and going to use those skills to help the troop/patrol.

What, if anything, is being done to "groom" the 2 potential Webelos boys?  That should be a very high priority at this point.  They can walk away in a heartbeat leaving you with yet another year of dwindling numbers.

What about friends of the boys you already have?  Anything done there?

What about direct contact recruiting in the middle school every year to generate potential new boys.  Remember boys don't need Cubbing to be a Boy Scout.  Your biggest "FEEDER PACK" is really your middle school.  Most council do well with recruiting Cub Scouts and recruiting Boy Scouts is non-existent.  That has to change if scouting is to survive.

What about once a month setting up a recruiting table outside Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Dicks, Sheel's, anyplace where sporting good are sold, canoe/kayak shops, even Walmart sporting good section if allowed?  Keep that up until you have too many boys.  It's one thing to watch Bear do his thing on TV and quite another to live the adventure oneself.

BSA scouting is now competing on a national market and needs to change.  National doesn't seem to be in a hurry, but according to your numbers you need to...now!

I'm at 2 active boys right now, we hosted 6 Webelos boys at our winter campout, there's a potential of 34 more in our feeder packs and we are making plans to recruit in the schools in the area AND we've been hounding our council for BSA recruiting material for hitting the local sporting goods stores.

We talked with one of the feeder packs and suggested they be sponsored by our CO, they were having problems with their CO.  They are now with our CO.  The meet at the same time same night, at the same place and the 2 Boy Scouts are working with the Webelos DL to get the boys in that pack their AOL.  Because we were doing it for the one pack, the other two packs are invited to come and get their AOL as well.  The biggest group comes from a pack that didn't do dens!!!! they had a pack meeting and an activity once a month instead of den meetings.  They are EXTREMELY interested in coming over and getting their boys the AOL.  Do ya think they might be appreciative enough to join our troop with their 19 boys?  Hopin' so!  

Don't focus just on what's happening in your troop.  Find out what's going on in the world around you and tap into it for your boys.

All's fair in love and war.

Ok so I attended a round-table meeting last week with the district. 

I quickly noticed a few things that I need to address within my troop. 

The list is as follows:

1)Committee positions need to be filled.

2)Recruitment of new boys

3)Retention of the scouts

1)

Right now we have 2 people on the committee. This has to change. I cant effectively do my job as a SM if I dont have a committee behind me. Ill be spread to thin and the burn out and etc... will follow. I am setting up fundraisers, getting permits etc... I can keep doing it, but Id rather we get back to the committee way.

Suggestions, ideas?

2)

We have 7 boys right now. 2 are getting ready to tap out as Eagles. 

The rest are (1)Star (1)First Class (2) Second Class (1) Scout

I have 2 that will be crossing over from the "feeder" cub scout den. (We have a cub scout group with 30 boys, meets same place same Troop number) They wont be crossing over until May.

Ideas on gaining new members. Essentially I need to get the parents involved. They will be the deciding factor in joining.

3)

I had one boy leave. I am getting the entire story on him. I am going to try and sit down and see if I can get him back.

I have another who sporadically comes.

I am debating on have a sit down with all scouting parents. I guess you would call it an open forum, get to know you meeting. Try to get everyone on the same page, introduce myself, etc...

Good/Bad idea suggestions?

you are oh so right there!  As CM, I didn't have a really functioning committee supporting the pack.  Definitely no way to work!

as far as suggestions.... sorry, I tried everything but had no luck.  Did a lot of reading, and even took a course at our University of Scouting.  All advice is to ask directly/approach specific people for a specific job...."Hi Joe, I've been thinking & YOU would be the perfect person for XYZ"

to have an honest job description

and be honest about how much time it will take.

I think having the job descriptions handy is probably the best thing to do.  You'll be right in the middle of something, adn someone will pull you aside and tell you that they would like to help..... then if you're not prepared you might miss an opportunity.  Much better to pull a list out of you"back pocket" right then and there..... with all the details mapped out.

BUT

my biggest advice is this.  Don't take on jobs that are not yours... and Recruiting the committee is not your job as SM.

#2) 

seems to me the single best recruiting tool is your scouts themselves.  They need to be asking their friends to join, and otherwise telling stories about what they did last weekend that will make the other boys say, "wow, sign me up!"  So that means encourage your scouts to have a fun and active program.

#3)

I'm not sure.  Maybe not a bad idea.

Again, cubs not scouts... but as a comparison...Along with our CC, we tried to have a parent meeting like this a time or two.  They weren't attended well at all.

We did have a few committee meetings where the parents had to bring their kid(s) along... maybe the spouse was working or whatever...

That was less than ideal.  The adult discussions sometimes would have been best left apart from the scouts ears I think.  Probably easier with the older boys in the troop, you could send them outside or to another room

Great. Roundtables should be a time for you to refresh and touch base with other scouters. Not much different than your coach's clinics in your soccer league. If you can't make one, send a committee member or ASM in your stead.

1) Have your committee chair and charter org rep call a "parent meeting".  It may start during the troop meeting. If these are decent boys, you and the SA's can step away while they are occupied working on skills.

- If some of the boys have had the SM conference, they could conduct one or two boards of review. Then invite you, and maybe your oldest scout, to "drop in."

- The goal is to let them know what the boys would like to do, what needs to be done and where you think you need their help.

- Then you excuse yourself to attend to the boys, while the CC keeps the conversation going.

- Make sure you all are reasonable with the positions that need to be filled. Focus on the urgent not on filling in blanks.

- Some things, like fundraisers, might turn out to be better managed by one of the boys.

- Committee chair cheerfully closes saying he'll be in touch and would like to have another "parent meeting" in a month.

- Repeat until parents enjoy each other's company so much they apologize for missing a meeting. Give the ones who apologize a committee member patch.

2) Nobody should "Tap out" as Eagles. If they ain't 18, they can work on Palms. When they turn 18, have the CC give them an Adult Application and invite them to be ASM ... at least until they go to college or boot camp.

- You have one patrol. You do not have an SPL or ASPL, even if a boy is wearing that patch. One boy is the PL and the other is assistant (probably the two Life scouts). And other 1st Class and up scouts have specific skills (from the outside, some may call them obsessions) which keep the patrol running and full of good humor.

- Sometimes, in patrols like these, the 2nd class scout gets elected PL so the other guys can "coast" ... often times they aren't really slacking, they are doing whatever needs to get done, but would rather not have the "official" name attached. The best way to figure out what you really have is to observe these primates in the wild.

- Ask the younger scouts if they've ever talked to their friends about what the troop does. Ask the older scouts if they've ever though of visiting the local middle school with an adult to promote the troop to 6th graders. Have the CC contact your DE about scheduling a "boy talk" at middle school.

- Ask your charter org rep if every boy in the organization has been invited to join the troop.

- Parades ... participate in them. If the boys can run a booth and sell hot-dogs during a community day, or give out water during a 5k or whatever other event is big over there, fit it in the schedule.

3) It's always good to try to fit in "exit interviews" with boys who drop off in attendance or quit. Depending on the boy this could be you or it could be a senior scout.

- This is a short conversation ... just to make sure you conveyed that they meant a lot to the troop and you want to seem them do well in the world and maybe come back to visit for a spell.

- That parent sit-down? See my reply in "#1". Lean on your CC to herd parents. Lord knows you'll hear from them soon enough without any effort on your part.

- At most you're dealing with 7 families. That's possibly 14 parents -- probably less. If just a couple more work with the CC, you're doing good.

- The real "sit down" will be with those two webelos parents. The boys should be visiting your troop soon, possibly joining in on activity with them. While that happens take the parents aside and introduce them to your other adults and maybe that SPL.

@@qwazse 's idea of exit interviews is something we as a UC Corps are going to focus on to help with retention in our district.  As one of the UC's of the district, I'm going to use it to focus on why boys are leaving Cub Scouts and going back to try and draw them into Boy Scouts if their reasons for quitting Cubs is legitimate.  Never had fun, DL wasn't organized, didn't go anywhere, bored, etc.  We might be able to resurrect them if the Boy Scout program is a good one in their area.  If they've moved, as UC I can get another unit nearby to make a contact.

Edited by Stosh

#1:   Your Committee need not be limited to ONLY Scout family.  Ask your CO for help here.  Grandparents of ex-Scouts,  (parents! of ex-Scouts!),  any good responsible adult can be tapped for Committee or ASM support.   Ask your local Service Clubs: Lions, Kiwanis, Rotary, etc. 

#2:   Recruitment is important. Basically, if the boy doesn't know you are there, he can't join.   Ask your CO about (if appropriate) a sign utside your meeting place. Contact the Guidance Counselor at the local Middle schools and make sure they know you are there.   PTAs.   If you are doing a service project (Eagle or other)  make sure you have some publicity : contact local TV, Papers,  put up a sign!   Philmont/Summit trip?   Get a notice in the paper!   Your Scouts can earn the Recruiter strip for inviting their buds to join.   'Course now, all these ideas are for your COMMITTEE to pursue... Encourage your boys to wear the uni to school, all on the same day for support, and don't you be afraid to wear even a Scout hat or belt with your civies. Start the conversation.

#3  Occupational hazard.   Eagles get older. If the older Scouts like the idea of forming a Venture Patrol to go do "big boy " things, and be the Mentors to the younger Scouts, that can be a draw for them to hang around.   (!!)  Get some "Instructor " shoulder patches and promote the older Scouts to those PORs!

Good Scouting to you!

I just realized my big laundry list might undermine @@TAHAWK's emphasis.  The only reason I gave you a list of ideas is because it sounds you've got good people supporting you.

Worst case scenario: parent's don't come on board, your CC can put in the hours, ASM's ditch you. Your #1 priority is to guide these boys in making achievable goals that they can implement within a year or so. (E.g., six inexpensive weekends in as many months. A community service project. Something with the Pack. A public event. A fundraiser that they can manage from soup to nuts. With a court of honor thrown in to recognize it all.)

In other words, the guys in your troop need to be a patrol. They need to love each other. They need to feel proud doing it. That's where you come in. Do that. Let the laundry list fall by the wayside. If that happens. Parents will start talking about you all. The boys will start talking about it. Growth will happen. You can pick up your laundry list again when you've got the right adults standing by you.

#1:   Your Committee need not be limited to ONLY Scout family.  Ask your CO for help here.  Grandparents of ex-Scouts,  (parents! of ex-Scouts!),  any good responsible adult can be tapped for Committee or ASM support.   Ask your local Service Clubs: Lions, Kiwanis, Rotary, etc. 

agreed, good suggestion SSSCout!

In the cubs, I asked the families and boys often if they had any grandparents that lived in the area that might be interested in helping.  I always figured it would be a win win win

a retired grandparent has time, wants to spend more time with their grandson, and some are likely old scouters or scouts themselves so they like doing what scouts do.

I also reached out to our Knights of Columbus (Catholic CO), knowing that there are a lot of older guys there taht might fit into that mold... even though they might not have blood in the pack, they still might like the game of scouting... and they already have shown a tendency to volunteer, etc...  Also it could be good to have an impartial person involved once in a while, for a different perspective on things.

I never had any luck.... but that doesn't mean it's not a great suggestion!

I find that neighborhood visibility is always a good sell.

Popcorn sales isn't as much an activity as much as it is an opportunity for the neighborhood to see uniforms they haven't seen for a long time.

Neighborhood clean up isn't as much a service project in as much as it is an opportunity for the neighborhood to see uniforms going up and down the street picking up littler.

Salvation Army bell ringing in uniform at the neighborhood grocery store.

A lot of units don't realize that for the most part the potential scouts out there don't know there's a scout unit within 2-3 blocks of their home.

I found out that one of the Webelos boys visiting this past weekend goes to school 4 miles from the CO meeting place, but lives within a block.  He didn't know there was a Boy Scout troop there.

• Upvote 1

Ok so quick update.

Committee is now full. Something that was resolved and handled without me doing a thing. :D

They have still left fundraising in my hands. Im not too happy with it but whatever... Ill work on getting it transferred. 

We have school meeting setup and scheduled. 

We have a parent meeting tonight with 5-7 of the boys/parents not coming back, because they were bored.

The Weblos crossers are coming tonight as well.

My meeting tonight is it get to know the new SM. ( I wouldnt want my kids going out with someone I havent met.)

Im going to be explaining the rest of the years schedule and plans for possible summer trips, depending on what the boys agree to.

Hopefully the boys who left will find it fun and exciting and want to return. 

• Upvote 1

Ok so quick update.

Committee is now full. Something that was resolved and handled without me doing a thing. :D

They have still left fundraising in my hands. Im not too happy with it but whatever... Ill work on getting it transferred. 

We have school meeting setup and scheduled. 

We have a parent meeting tonight with 5-7 of the boys/parents not coming back, because they were bored.

The Weblos crossers are coming tonight as well.

My meeting tonight is it get to know the new SM. ( I wouldnt want my kids going out with someone I havent met.)

Im going to be explaining the rest of the years schedule and plans for possible summer trips, depending on what the boys agree to.

Hopefully the boys who left will find it fun and exciting and want to return. 

Nice.

It's good that folks want to give you a listen. Keep in mind, if fundraising (or any other project) gets tossed back to you ... it's you and the boys. They can take as much responsibility as you need them to (probably all of it with your oversight). Salesmanship is still a merit badge.

Before the meeting actually starts, challenge the PL to have an opening activity for for the boys. He might have a favorite, or provide two 5 gallon buckets, a length of bull rope and boys challenge each other two at a time to pull each other off their respective bucket.

This will give you time to introduce yourself to the parents one-on-one as they arrive.

As far as the meeting, my strategy with small groups of boys is to unfold a road map or state trail map, and have them discuss the where, when, and how. Hopefully once you start they can keep it going on their own and get back to chatting with adults.

As a parent, my trust grows as I meet leaders and watch them interact with my kids. So, you want to show a little of each in the meeting.

:)  I hate the fund raising, too. My solution to the situation is to have a meeting upfront with the parents and let them know that IF they want to pay for their son's scouting on their own, they may do so, but if THEY wish to cut the cost of some of these activities, THEY can hold fund raising activities to defray those costs.  It makes no difference to me what they decide.  Under those circumstances, the parents have always shouldered the fund raising efforts for the boys.  I do tell the parents that the boys going on any activity will need to pay some of the cost.  This way, the boys have a bit of skin in the game.  They will need to work at raising some money of their own, on their own.  Every year with my new troop we have had very successful fund raisers, but the boys still have to pay $50 out of their own pockets to go to summer camp.  It works well for us, your mileage may vary.

• Upvote 2

one comment on the fundraising thing, and parents or scouts doing it.

A few years back, I bought some mulch form one of our former cub scouts, delivery included.

When it came time for delivery, I was surprised when one of the leaders pulled up with his truck and huge trailer and a bunch of the adult leaders piled out to do the unloading and toting to the top of my driveway.   Silly me, I was expecting a bunch of Scouts.

one comment on the fundraising thing, and parents or scouts doing it.

A few years back, I bought some mulch form one of our former cub scouts, delivery included.

When it came time for delivery, I was surprised when one of the leaders pulled up with his truck and huge trailer and a bunch of the adult leaders piled out to do the unloading and toting to the top of my driveway.   Silly me, I was expecting a bunch of Scouts.

Seriously???? You were expecting some Tiger Cub to drag a 50# bag of mulch up your driveway?

Upon further reading.... FORMER Cub Scout.  So I'll rephrase that, You were expecting some 97# Webelos cross-over to drag a 50# bag of mulch up your driveway?  :)

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1