New Scout Camp near Houston

I think my local camp is down to 3 sessions for summer camp, can't get enough units to fill the sites.  They are now renting out to other organizations for summer camp, i.e. churches, to help pay the bills.

So,  you don't let the camp stand idle just because of "Scout Pride".  Why not rent to Church groups?  If you have a nice retreat type place, do it!   Outdoor Education is the latest fad in public schools here abouts.   Council works with county schools to utilize the space.   I know a Girl Scout camp that does selective logging!  Lots of possibilities, just don't let 'em make a golf course out of them.

So,  you don't let the camp stand idle just because of "Scout Pride".  Why not rent to Church groups?  If you have a nice retreat type place, do it!   Outdoor Education is the latest fad in public schools here abouts.   Council works with county schools to utilize the space.   I know a Girl Scout camp that does selective logging!  Lots of possibilities, just don't let 'em make a golf course out of them.

I council has resorted to this.  Last year one week of camp was a church group coming in and doing their thing.  It took many volunteers many hours afterwards to clean up and make repairs to get the camp back in order.  Plan accordingly and make sure the visiting group who has no ownership in the process pays enough in deposit to cover the cost of repairs.

• Upvote 1

If you put on a first rate program, and have quality facilities, people will come.

If you have a second rate program and facilities...

Very true. Despite it being un-godly hot in Texas during the summer, Sid Richardson does a GREAT water program and they are ALWAYS booked early. Constantine does a so-so program (with shoddy facilities) and they struggle.

Our council camp has a brand new dining hall, refurbished old dining hall, new training center, newer pool, climbing tower, new archery/rifle/shotgun ranges and they are having trouble filling 3 weeks of campers.  Good staff and program is better than nice facilities. 

Our council camp has a brand new dining hall, refurbished old dining hall, new training center, newer pool, climbing tower, new archery/rifle/shotgun ranges and they are having trouble filling 3 weeks of campers.  Good staff and program is better than nice facilities. 

Here Here!  You're exactly right!

If you put on a first rate program, and have quality facilities, ...

Stosh,

There's a reason I ordered them program, then facilities.

First rate also does not mean "new".  It means functional, safe, conforming with code, conforming with best practices.

If the reefer and the freezer at the commissary/dining hall are not maintaining temperature, there's a risk of food poisoning, and thus a risk of campers being ill.  That's not first rate.

If the filter on the pool is not working to standard, and the pool has to close for contaminated water, that's not first rate.

If the National Camp Visit decertifies the COPE tower for safety issues, that's not first rate...

Get my drift?

Edited by John-in-KC