New BSA Partnership

That press release is so vague and has so many marketing buzzwords that I can't even figure out what this is all about. I don't think I have ever read or heard of the term "category influencers" before. I'm not even convinced that "influencers" is a real word. (I do know that the spellcheck on this system thinks its a typo.)

Nitpicking aside, I don't understand who is supposed to be doing what in this "partnership". Can anyone translate this into English?

• Upvote 1

Sounds like they want scouters to feed them buzz words to teach sporting goods store sales personnel how to sell more product.  It is also marketing research to find out what stuff scouters buy so they can stock more of it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and I'm thinking that BSA isn't making scout registration information available for free either.

"You've been chosen to participate in an exclusive scout survey on various sporting goods equipment."  Oh, golly, gee, how lucky can I get?

Edited by Stosh

That press release is so vague and has so many marketing buzzwords that I can't even figure out what this is all about. I don't think I have ever read or heard of the term "category influencers" before. I'm not even convinced that "influencers" is a real word. (I do know that the spellcheck on this system thinks its a typo.)

Nitpicking aside, I don't understand who is supposed to be doing what in this "partnership". Can anyone translate this into English?

Well, I can tell you that Experticity main business is to use the latest marketing crappola to connect brands with sales chains, through sales people to the end user. In other words, they work with, say REI, to train their sales people to be better educated to push certain products. Ever wonder if the REI associate REALLY has used every backpack? Or are they just pushing what the back office tells them to? There's your answer.

Now, the question arises 1) Is Scouting working with them to connect scouts with brands that are needed to fulfill the scouting mission (e.g., get camelbacks and osprey packs in the hands of kids who may be buying Kmart stuff). Or 2) Is Scouting working with them to take a deep dive in to their own brand to see how to better equip Scouts?

Coming from 20 years in consulting I'd have to agree, there's so much double-speak and marketing jargon I had to check to make sure my own company didn't write this release.

I will say this, The quote below seemed to indicate that BSA was going to work with this company to give some of us access to brands, special deals, etc., that might help us direct kids/adults to purchase better gear. For example, maybe we get access to a discounts portal from Cabelas, Bass, Osprey, Kelty that tells us when things go on sale, what packs are best for Philmont, etc. We can then in turn recommend these to our units.

Scouting experts will be given insider access to key brands that includes information about the latest products and discounts to encourage firsthand experiences that drive more informed product recommendations.

"Ever wonder if the REI associate REALLY has used every backpack? Or are they just pushing what the back office tells them to? There's your answer."

I would hope they would be honest.

I know from my supply division days, if I didn't use it, I would not recommend it. If a friend of mine used a product, I would state what they thought to my customers.  If I didn't like a product I would discourage someone from buying it. Badge Bond comes immediately to mind.

Did I get in trouble a time or two. Yes.  But as Scout is TRUSTWORTHY. Besides, the boss left me alone when, after spending 30-45 minutes on how to select gear for a new Scout's parent, and even advising to shop around, the parent left, and 20 minutes later showed up with son in tow. We outfitted him with gear he would use and grow into. Nice sale for the store, and we got a new Scout outfitted for adventure.

I will say this, The quote below seemed to indicate that BSA was going to work with this company to give some of us access to brands, special deals, etc., that might help us direct kids/adults to purchase better gear. For example, maybe we get access to a discounts portal from Cabelas, Bass, Osprey, Kelty that tells us when things go on sale, what packs are best for Philmont, etc. We can then in turn recommend these to our units.

Ah. So in other words, "Johnny, I think you should buy the XYZ Co. Model 600 backpack. The fact that I am getting a kickback, um, I mean "access to special deals" in order to say that, has nothing to do with my opinion."

Am I on the right track?

Edited by NJCubScouter
Fix typo
  • Upvote 1

Category Influencer?  Ok - I understand that - (Yes, influencer is a word, it can be found in Webster's Unabridged and in the OED, but it is mainly used in marketing so it is considered job-specific jargon rather than being a word in common usage - most jobs have them - in this case, it identifies a person who wields influnce).  An example of a category influencer would be a famous chef recommending a particular brand of chef's knife and it could be a formal recommendation as part of an ad campaign or an informal recommendation (I think most of us have seen or read news stories where the person being interviewed mentions some product, or the interviewer mentions something seen in someone's home as a way of adding color to the story and in the next week, that item becomes a hot buy).  Oprah, with her book club, is a category influencer.

My biggest question is who qualifies to be an expert?  Do you have to be in Scouting for a certain length of time?  Is it based on how many camping trips you take in a year?  What's the criteria?  Otherwise, this might turn out to be a good thing.  We have folks asking our advice on gear all the time in here - in fact, there is a current discussion about a replacement tent.  Just recently, we had a discussion about lights that generated a lot of opinions.  We're already providing our opinions on gear - in a lot of ways, we're already category influencers - but our reach is limited - and there are a lot of experienced Scouters who may have some other really good suggestions but are just not participating here.  And ok, I get it, we're cynical - but I would venture to suggest that we are cynical because we're experienced - we can walk in to an REI, or Cabelas, or Bass Pro, or Dick's and know what we're looking for and what we're looking at.  Most folks new to Scouting don't have that experience so maybe this will turn out to be helpful if the sales folks are basing their recommendations of recommendations by experienced scouters - I don't know about anyone else, but I've seen enough new Scouts coming to their first campout with a new sleeping bag just not appropriate for conditions to last a lifetime.

My biggest complaint - and one I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet...SCOUTfitters?  Really?  Really???? 

My biggest complaint - and one I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet...SCOUTfitters?  Really?  Really???? 

@@Cambridgeskip, correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the Scout Association in the UK turned their supply stores more into outfitters. I remember the one I went too didn't look like a BSA scout shop on the first floor at all. More like REI or Gander Mountain.  It was when you got to the wall at the end of the first floor, where the stairs were at, and saw all the Scout patches from all over the world, that you realized it was a Scout Shop.  Always wished BSA would go more that route.

@@Cambridgeskip, correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the Scout Association in the UK turned their supply stores more into outfitters. I remember the one I went too didn't look like a BSA scout shop on the first floor at all. More like REI or Gander Mountain.  It was when you got to the wall at the end of the first floor, where the stairs were at, and saw all the Scout patches from all over the world, that you realized it was a Scout Shop.  Always wished BSA would go more that route.

They did and it didn't really work! The scout shops run by national HQ were sold off entirely some years ago. It's now an online shop

Some districts and counties run their own shop which vary. My own local one is very much about uniforms and badges although there is some outdoor kit as well. Glasgow scout shop has an online presence where you can see what one looks like in terms of stock. 

Ah. So in other words, "Johnny, I think you should buy the XYZ Co. Model 600 backpack. The fact that I am getting a kickback, um, I mean "access to special deals" in order to say that, has nothing to do with my opinion."

Am I on the right track?

I *think* that's what they (BSA) intend.

• 10 months later...

I have purchased items through Expertcity before due to my occupation.  

Basically Expertcity works with vendors to offer discounts to people working or participating in certain occupations.  People working in law enforcement, military, search and rescue, park rangers, etc... have the opportunity to purchase equipment through Expertcity.  The idea is that other people will look at the gear, (eg tent, boots, lantern etc.) and say "That brand of gear is good enough for those guys, that's what I want".  That is all there is to it.   You do not actively talk people into a certain brand.      I don't know how Expertcity will verify BSA membership (maybe the honor system?).

It does not cost anything to sign up and the discounts can (not always) be pretty good. I still shop around as sometimes I can find the same items from Amazon for the same price with 2 day shipping so not all the discounts are that good.

There is a local sporting goods store chain in my area that gives scouts 10% off (no ID, just tell the clerk).  As a result, that store gets a lot of business from the scouting community.   In my eyes this is the same idea.