Smart boy, snow caves are warmer than tents.  A 4 season tent means it can take the harsh weather of winter.  It offers no creature comforts.  There are a few features of the 4 season to reduce the moisture buildup inside the tent due to warm breath and may add a few degrees of heat retention, but I still prefer the snow caves or meadow crashing in the winter.  Be careful with the 2' of snow forecast when you meadow crash.  :) 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stosh. Pounds... Like the British currency. Not lbs.

I didn't either I had to google it, then cut and paste.  It was just too funny to let pass.

I like my REI quarter dome, fairly lightweight and airy although it's fairly new so not sure about durability. I like it a lot better than the old Kelty it replaced.... not that Kelty is bad in any

Smart boy, snow caves are warmer than tents.  A 4 season tent means it can take the harsh weather of winter.  It offers no creature comforts.  There are a few features of the 4 season to reduce the moisture buildup inside the tent due to warm breath and may add a few degrees of heat retention, but I still prefer the snow caves or meadow crashing in the winter.  Be careful with the 2' of snow forecast when you meadow crash.  :)

I'd be fine with a snow cave or quinzie, but he choose his warm bed in the heated house.  As far as I can tell from my research, the main difference in the 4 season tent is that the poles and design are stronger to support the weight of heavy snow on the tent.  

I forgot to add the lightweight $14  that my son and I used to sleep on for our Order of the Arrow Ordeal (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DUKKVR8) - nothing  like sleeping under the stars.

I'd be fine with a snow cave or quinzie, but he choose his warm bed in the heated house.  As far as I can tell from my research, the main difference in the 4 season tent is that the poles and design are stronger to support the weight of heavy snow on the tent.  

I forgot to add the lightweight $14  that my son and I used to sleep on for our Order of the Arrow Ordeal (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DUKKVR8) - nothing  like sleeping under the stars.

Yep, forgot that, the poles are able to hold the weight of the snow, but the big difference is the liner that collects the frost on the inside of the tent rather than on the walls themselves.  I think the walls of the tent are of a heavier mil nylon, too.  It's just made to hold up under the brutal wind, cold and snow offered up by the northern climates.

meadow crashing?

Sleeping out under the stars.  No tent, no snow cave, no shelter of any sort.  It's nice in the winter time.  One doesn't need to worry about bug netting.  :)