So my trusty Vango Hydra has finally bitten the dust after 12 years of sterling service. It's now leaking like a sieve and no amount of reproofing seems to be stopping it. To be fair I have persistently thrashed it in that time.

So I'm after something new. I'd happily buy another one but it's no longer made!

I'm looking for recommendations for a two man tent. I'm most concerned with robustness and staying dry than space and comfort although a large porch area would be a bonus. Hoping to come in at less than £250 ($375 ish I think).

here in the UK I normally head towards Vango when looking at tents but just wondering if you chaps have any other brands I might not be aware of?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stosh. Pounds... Like the British currency. Not lbs.

I didn't either I had to google it, then cut and paste.  It was just too funny to let pass.

I like my REI quarter dome, fairly lightweight and airy although it's fairly new so not sure about durability. I like it a lot better than the old Kelty it replaced.... not that Kelty is bad in any

My old 3 man Kelty has seen some rough service and does well.  My brand new 4 man Kelty is luxury.  Qwazes' correct in that old fashioned canvas or nylon tarps do just fine.  I'm 65 years old and still sleep a lot under real canvas

ALPS Mountaineer has a discount program via hikerdirect.com . Don't  know how much the shipping would be, but the MYSTIQUE 2 is $113.06 which is approx. 86 pounds.

OMG! @@Eagle94-A1 who in the world would want to drag a 86 pound tent around on a camping trip!?!?  Shipping for that circus tent would be more than the cost of the tent!

Why can't he get REI in the UK?  It might cost a bit for shipping, but it might be worth it in the long run.

I was talking about having an REI store in the UK. You could always ship, but then you need to pay ~$50 for that which you could apply toward a better tent. However, I suspect since everything is more expensive in the UK that $50 in shipping may be worth it.

ALPS Mountaineer has a discount program via hikerdirect.com . Don't  know how much the shipping would be, but the MYSTIQUE 2 is $113.06 which is approx. 86 pounds.

Those are good, rugged tents. Our unit has used them for at least 15 years. Imagine surviving 10-12 camp outs a year, being used by boys who (at times) may not be the best at keeping gear proper. ;) That's a good tent. ;)

Really? I wudda thunk them there Brits would know how to  £  on their keyboards.  ;)

If they were Yanks they could always # on the keyboard if they wanted to make themselves understood.  

They haven't been doing well with English either, can't make out half the words when they talk funny like that.

By the way: "Pound symbol £ is a currency sign used in UK. It derives from a capital "L", representing libra, the basic unit of weight in the Roman Empire." so you can see why a fella would be misled.

Edited by Stosh

OMG! @@Eagle94-A1 who in the world would want to drag a 86 pound tent around on a camping trip!?!?  Shipping for that circus tent would be more than the cost of the tent!

ROTFL

And I don't know how to do the pound sterling symbol. And i though  using # people would think weight.

I love me some ALPS.  But  I've been on a USGI surplus kick of late as that is way cheaper, even with the hiker direct program.

I like my REI quarter dome, fairly lightweight and airy

although it's fairly new so not sure about durability.

I like it a lot better than the old Kelty it replaced.... not that Kelty is bad in any way..... just a feature thing.

But I'm guessing in the UK you're not likely to be as interested as I am in ventilation, probably more so in continued rain protection....

• Upvote 1

Nearly every state in the US has a Surplus Property Program.  Scout troops can get military surplus tents, sleeping bags, and all types of gear for next to nothing.  Stuff like this for $20 or so:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EUREKA-TWO-PERSON-COMBAT-TENT-USMC-ISSUE-COMPLETE-EXC-CONDITION-/272101296679?hash=item3f5a804a27:g:CO0AAOSw5dNWks91

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-Modular-Sleep-System-sleeping-bag-military-surplus-/272106080879?hash=item3f5ac94a6f:g:0qkAAOxy0x1TRFYn