What's it going to take to make the perfect UC?

So a UC does the work that a DE should, but for no pay?

Sounds like BS    A.

Yup, we were the DE's volunteer henchmen.  Every district problem: FOS, membership, etc. was brought up at commissioner meetings.  I think some councils (Cradle of Liberty is one) started assigning Quality Unit Executives to districts to act as paid commissioners, I guess freeing the actual DE up for fundraising and boy talks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can dress up a pig but it's still a pig.   If someone knows what they're talking about, has experience, is humble, and someone else is interested in what they have to say, then all will be fine.

Maybe I'm just slow and stupid but none of the training I've seen clicked with me. This forum, and all the arguments and discussions, has been worth much more. The training seems to assume you have a

As the first course director in our district of Scoutmaster Specifics in 2001, I had to spend a lot of time trying to make the whole syllabus flow because some information contradicted itself in other

Maybe ... A change in uniform. Maybe UCs should only wear BSA dress (blue blazers) when fulfilling their duties. Keep them them from walking into the room with a row of knots and WB beads and a commish patch.

So, they enter the room looking very clearly like they are not an integral part of troop life. They look like service people not field people. They aren't a unit's "spare SM". They shouldn't look anything like one.

That's not a bad idea.  I already mentioned being a commissioner to a pack and a troop.  The troop's SM and ASM wore the Expedition Hat ("Indiana Jones") for "undress" occasions (regular meetings and outings) but had bought campaign hats to wear to Courts of Honor.  "Cool," I thought and got a used one off of ebay.  Wore it to the pack's Blue and Gold dinner.  Word got back to me third hand that maybe that was a little over the top.

That's not a bad idea.  I already mentioned being a commissioner to a pack and a troop.  The troop's SM and ASM wore the Expedition Hat ("Indiana Jones") for "undress" occasions (regular meetings and outings) but had bought campaign hats to wear to Courts of Honor.  "Cool," I thought and got a used one off of ebay.  Wore it to the pack's Blue and Gold dinner.  Word got back to me third hand that maybe that was a little over the top.

And word got out that a campaign hat worn by scouts and scouters is a long standing tradition that has been around for maybe over a hundred years now.  Last week I wore my expedition hat, this week I wore the campaign hat, next weekend we'll be outdoors so I'll wear a stocking cap.  If I spent any amount of time worrying about what others think, I wouldn't get anything done. 

On the other hand last week I wore a red turtle-neck under my uniform because it's cold outside.  This week I wore a black one.  Do you think black is a bit too formal?  A bit over the top?  With a campaign hat?  AND A FULL UNIFORM WITH BELT AND SOCKS!  OMG!  I just put the fashion police into at least 6 months of therapy!  What's the world coming to?  As a side note, I forgot to wear my beads tonight.... I felt totally naked!

Maybe ... A change in uniform. Maybe UCs should only wear BSA dress (blue blazers) when fulfilling their duties. Keep them them from walking into the room with a row of knots and WB beads and a commish patch.

So, they enter the room looking very clearly like they are not an integral part of troop life. They look like service people not field people. They aren't a unit's "spare SM". They shouldn't look anything like one.

don't know about that.... a sports coat uniform would make him look like a know nothing office person (nothing about scoutcraft I mean)  wouldn't carry much weight I think.

In regards to the professional uniform and commissioners:

(in best whiney Darth Vader voice in SWRotS voice)

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I've found that with some folks, wearing the field uniform helps new leaders get comfortable with some of the advice and help we give. And for some new leaders, they may not know what all the knots mean, but they do understand I've been there, done that, and have probably encountered the issues they are dealing with.

And yes, there are some who, no matter how you try and help them, they will ignore you, tell you and the Scouting program needs to change with the times, etc.

LOL, Krampus!!

In regards to the professional uniform and commissioners:

(in best whiney Darth Vader voice in SWRotS voice)

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I've found that with some folks, wearing the field uniform helps new leaders get comfortable with some of the advice and help we give. And for some new leaders, they may not know what all the knots mean, but they do understand I've been there, done that, and have probably encountered the issues they are dealing with.

And yes, there are some who, no matter how you try and help them, they will ignore you, tell you and the Scouting program needs to change with the times, etc.

yep, I totally agree, and that was my point before.  I WAS that new guy and still believe that this is true - the uniform, knots, and other patches serve a good purpose

but there is a point of ridiculousness with the knots, that hits someplace in between two rows of them and six, seven, eight rows,...?

Even as a brand new scouter, I as you said knew intuitively that they meant the guy had been around

...but just because a guys been around, doesn't mean he's good..... and just like as you would with a bad toupe, you've gotta wonder...

Not judging, just stating the impression it can give... each person I suppose has to consult the Uniform Guidelines, look at how much space they have on their shirt.... and then choose for themselves what's right.

You can dress up a pig but it's still a pig.

If someone knows what they're talking about, has experience, is humble, and someone else is interested in what they have to say, then all will be fine. Clothing doesn't matter. Respect does, and that comes from the UC helping a unit leader get results.

I think the bigger issue is having a common idea of what a unit should look like. JTE was supposed to cover that, but .... Every SM will tell you their troop is boy led but ....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think the bigger issue is having a common idea of what a unit should look like. JTE was supposed to cover that, but .... Every SM will tell you their troop is boy led but ....

JTE is an interesting concept. It appears to be quantitative in their measurement (e.g. Have an SM and TC of three members), but the measurements seem to measure the existence of things, not how well they are functioning. Seems to me it would be better to measure the quality of how things are done. BSA is simply measuring the wrong things.

Take the volunteer leadership section which has two parts. The first confirms the existence of the SM and TC. To get from Bronze to Gold you simply need to hold 2-3 COHs to review the "troop plan" with parents. This measurement does nothing to address the quality of how that's done. Even the section on "Program" simply measures how many times camping, summer camp and service projects are done. Again the quality with which these programs are done is missing.

If UC's could proactively and consistently aid units in such measurements, AND help with how to FIX any short comings during the program planning phases, THAT would be a huge help to units. As it is now (at least in my district) the district program plan is completed in Aug/Sept...2-3 months AFTER nearly all units are done with their planning. How can the two possibly hope to benefit each other?

JTE does consider recruiting and retention, which I think is the most important consideration as a measure of how well things are functioning... most important thing for them that is.

• Upvote 1

JTE does consider recruiting and retention, which I think is the most important consideration as a measure of how well things are functioning... most important thing for them that is.

Recruiting tells you how many scouts you are getting and losing. It does not measure the quality of the program or health of the unit. I have seen HUGE troops that were toxic places. They churned out Eagles, but the program did not resemble at any level what BSA says they want. It was adult-driven and broke just about every rule of the patrol method and boy-led. The district loved them because their numbers were always impressive (service projects. camp outs, camporee, etc). But their kids were worthless as leaders.

• Upvote 2