We are working to bring back patrol flags with our troop. I was wondering if you could help me out. We are thinking we are going to give them the "flag" - the size, shape, color as determined by the PLC) and let them come up with the design that goes on their canvas.

1. Materials? - Polyester, cotton, nylon or something else

2. What is the best way to transfer a design to the flag?

3. Grommets or sleeve?

4. What else do we need to know?

We are going to build a flag holder where the flags will rest next to the troop flag. Then have them use their patrol flags when they line up for opening, closing and when we head to campouts. I am also thinking about a Webelos flag so that when we have visitors they can get in on the fun.

Thank you for any thoughts and suggestions you can help us out with.

I have seen the traditional bullet type pendant flag, and the totally home-made from scratch flags.

WE didn't suggest anything, but in order to have any of their patrol members get beyond the Scout rank, they needed a flag.  Not my problem, the PL and his crew were responsible for coming up with something on their own.  The troop provided the 6' closet rod patrol flag pole for the boys to put it on.

Computer generated iron-on transfers of the patrol patches are pretty polished looking and hold up pretty good.  They were put on traditional sized pendant shaped patrol flags.

In one of my former troops, they didn't do the patrol-method, but grouped boys together to insure troop wins in the competitions.  One "patrol" had a towel on a stick and that got them approved by the judges.  If the boys don't care, why should the adults.

I'm kinda partial to anything the boys can be truly proud of for a patrol pendant.

From my days as a PL ...

Material: used pillow case.

Medium: spray paint.

Method: stencil. Cut from a paper bag.

Case slips over staff sews tight. On tac on the bottom, tapped in with back of pen knife.

Done at summer camp, day 1.

Do differently,: turn in spray can to SM. Scouts like to make flame-throwers.

Went down South for the holidays, stopped at a Walmart and was surprised to see ALL the cans of spray paint were under lock and key, the same as with the firearm ammunition.  :)  That was a first for me.  Maybe it'll make it to G2SS after all.  I do know that the summer camps up here all prohibit aerosol cans of any sort for just that reason.

Our Troop provided the blank material with grommets installed.  I found "duck cloth" on sale.  It is a heavy duty, coarse cotton.  The Patrols did the rest.  One painted their designed.  I'm not sure what type of paint but it doesn't run when wet.  The other Patrol used a combination of gluing materials on & markers.

Both decided on hanging banner style.

Here's a pic of one.

WF12nsE.jpg

Tenderfoot requirement:

#8.  Know your patrol name, give the patrol yell, and describe your patrol flag.

If it's the responsibility of the PL to take care of his boys, any boy wishing to get his Tenderfoot requirements filled will need to describe his patrol flag.  The PL better have one to describe.  The troop does not provide the arts and craft supplies for such activity.  PL leadership is what is used to figure it out and to-date, the PL's have all done a really good job on their own using their own resources.

Somewhere, in somebody's basement or attic or garage, is the EAGLE Patrol plaque I carved for my Woodcarving Merit Badge. It hung over the Patrol campsite gateway and went to many a Camporee.   When I graduated, it was passed down to the next Patrol Leader.   Wish I had it now.....

Made a good parade banner type of thing too, on occasion, as I remember.

As to Patrol Flag,  I agree, let the boys decide how much "worth" they put into it. 

Tenderfoot requirement:

#8.  Know your patrol name, give the patrol yell, and describe your patrol flag.

If it's the responsibility of the PL to take care of his boys, any boy wishing to get his Tenderfoot requirements filled will need to describe his patrol flag.  The PL better have one to describe.  The troop does not provide the arts and craft supplies for such activity.  PL leadership is what is used to figure it out and to-date, the PL's have all done a really good job on their own using their own resources.

Oh, I'll bet that one has been danced around more than just a few times.

I can almost picture my soon to be 10year old boy scout, in a patrol without a flag, sitting down with his 12 or 13 year old patrol leader to get signed off on that one....

"Describe your patrol flag."

"Ahhh, it's tied to the top of a big stick...it flaps in the breeze.... and the best part, it's invisible!"

as they both giggle over that one, the signature goes into the book.

Oh, I'll bet that one has been danced around more than just a few times.

I can almost picture my soon to be 10year old boy scout, in a patrol without a flag, sitting down with his 12 or 13 year old patrol leader to get signed off on that one....

"Describe your patrol flag."

"Ahhh, it's tied to the top of a big stick...it flaps in the breeze.... and the best part, it's invisible!"

as they both giggle over that one, the signature goes into the book.

:) and I'd be looking for a patrol-method troop the very next week. 

Back in the day, my troop used semaphore flags as patrol flags. Two of the three flags when I joined were the original 2 patrols in the troop, with the Leadership Corps flag coming in a few years after the troop was formed. When we added a 3rd patrol, we initially were given a name, and that patrol's flag came out of retirement.

After about 2 months, we decided to change our name. That meant that the current patrol flag would be retired, all the ribbons would go with that flag, etc. We had to make a new flag. Only "requirement" we had was that we needed to have a troop patch somewhere on the flag.  Instead of red and white material, we decided to use red and blue. Not only to be different, but also that was what I could find for free.