Breaking Bad ... Scouters

The whole idea behind conceal carry is that no one should know whether the person is armed or not.

After all, anyone wearing a fixed blade sheath knife under his/her coat is conceal carrying.  In our state open carry doesn't need a permit, only conceal carry.  By law, any boy preparing food using a knife longer than a paring knife is covered by open-carry. 

If one doesn't think that illustration applies, there are plenty of people who have had sharp knives in their picnic baskets that have been arrested.  It all depends on the mood of the arresting officer.

There are some people out there that are scouters who are by federal law required to conceal carry at all times. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There may only be on average three bear fatalities are year, HOWEVER, there are HUNDREDS of bear attacks every year. Bear protocols should ALWAYS be followed in the back country, and not just because

Because FREEDOM happens in odd places.

Wow!   Finally a scouter who dumps his life on something other than sexual abuse......   I'm tempted to make a joke about a Jihad ScoutMaster, but maybe it wouldn't turn out to be a joke.... (knoc

Krampus,

Law enforcement are allowed to carry at BSA functions. The ASM in my troop works in law enforcement, and is regularly called out from meetings and camp outs as part of his duties.

Exactly where is this written? We have law enforcement guys in our unit but they all put their side arms in a secure, vehicle-based lock box (unlike some secret service guys recently in the news who think Jeep Wrangler glove boxes are secure) and never touch them. If we go in to a state park (where weapons are not allowed) they have to fill out oodles of paperwork with the ranger.

I have just never seen a BSA policy that allows for guns to be carried by off-duty personnel regardless of their job function. If they are off-duty they abide by the same rules I do.

Exactly where is this written? We have law enforcement guys in our unit but they all put their side arms in a secure, vehicle-based lock box (unlike some secret service guys recently in the news who think Jeep Wrangler glove boxes are secure) and never touch them. If we go in to a state park (where weapons are not allowed) they have to fill out oodles of paperwork with the ranger.

I have just never seen a BSA policy that allows for guns to be carried by off-duty personnel regardless of their job function. If they are off-duty they abide by the same rules I do.

Bullet 14 in the Unauthorized Activities section of the G2SS:

Except for law enforcement officers required to carry firearms within their jurisdiction, firearms shall not be brought on camping, hiking, backpacking, or other Scouting activities except those specifically planned for target shooting under the supervision of a currently certified BSA national shooting sports director or National Rifle Association firearms instructor.

My brother put in 30 years in the Federal Bureau of Prisons. He make it very clear that the prison populace was 99% on either end of the Bell Curve.  They were either extremely intelligent or flat out idiots.  The super intelligent (very small minority) were especially scary and one couldn't turn your back on them for one second.  From what is in the article, this gentleman isn't in that group.

LOL, that makes it more of a 'Dumbell Curve', doesn't it?

• Upvote 1

Bullet 14 in the Unauthorized Activities section of the G2SS:

Except for law enforcement officers required to carry firearms within their jurisdiction, firearms shall not be brought on camping, hiking, backpacking, or other Scouting activities except those specifically planned for target shooting under the supervision of a currently certified BSA national shooting sports director or National Rifle Association firearms instructor.

So how often are law enforcement officers required to carry firearms off-duty? The answer we get from our such ASMs, "Not often...if ever."

I suspect most of these guys like to carry them, not *have* to carry them.

Federal Bureau of Prisons retirees.  They are prime targets for any released prisoners with a grudge and are required to conceal carry.  I don't know of any other service that requires it unless state prison guards are as well.  There's a whole set of regs for these people such as if they have to report every time they meet a known felon regardless of how long they have been retired.

9/11 changed that.

https://leb.fbi.gov/2011/january/off-duty-officers-and-firearms

Federal law, Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act 2004 (amended twice ) has changed off-duty carry policies. In the past year, states are now allowing off-duty officers to carry on school ("gun free zones") grounds (I don't think they have much choice legally or from a PR perspective). The BSA will probably update their GSS or be ignored by off-duty officers.

But what does this have to do with a scouter making and selling meth?

Edited by RememberSchiff

Our teachers used to know that there's little chance they will need any weapon while teaching in a classroom, too.  :)   We live in a whole new world now.

It's kinda strange that federal BOP employees still carry a BOP ID even after they retire......  I wonder why that is?

In our Pack, there are a couple of Mobile Reserve Officers that are really never "off duty" even when they are off duty. On campouts they keep their mandatory firearms locked in safe boxes in their trunks. The radios that they carry; even when turned down very low are a real pain.

That is Cub camping and they have to go or their Cub cannot go.

I will never forget the Instructors face when one of them walked in to Protecting Gods Children class rushing to make the start time still completely decked out in riot gear.

• Upvote 1

Except for Tonkatim's example of a grand entrance, most people have no idea who is concealing a weapon.  Unless one is familiar with their employment situation, they are only guessing whether that person is armed or not.

While the need to carry is very minimal out in the woods somewhere, not all scouting activities are limited to isolated places.

It's part of our state's conceal carry training that if someone knows that one is carrying a weapon, it isn't concealed.

In our state one can be arrested for carrying on k-12 school grounds. or within so many feet of school grounds, unless you own that ground, then it's okay.

If your employer has a no-weapons policy in their building where you work, if they know you carry you will be fired.

If you carry in a no-weapons zone if they find out they only have the right to have you leave.

It all depends on the state laws.

Federal laws override all state laws.