I got stopped by the police yesterday

Hi all

I stopped to get gas and as I was leaving the gas pump, I had to move awkwardly into the corner of the lot to get out of the way of a police car I was blocking. No big deal, but as I was driving home just a couple blocks away, the officer stopped me. He was from a nearby town and I wasn't speeding, so I didn't have a clue why I was stopped. He came over to my car said, "do you remember me? I'm Eric!".

That was fun, our troop has such great scouts.

You never know when you will run into one of your past scouts and moments like these remind me that we must have had some influence in their life for them to go out of their way just to say hello. 

My biggest challenge at my age is trying to put the face of the man on the memory of the boy. Eric must have put on 75 lbs. LOL

Ah, I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

• Upvote 3

A "well seasoned" scouter stopped in to our meeting this week to help an older scout on his MB. It happened to be when the AoL den was visiting the troop. Turns out one of the cub dads was a scout in the troop when that scouter was SM!

Names to faces ... I think that's the hardest thing about this gig. :excl:

Really?  My problem is I do remember the names and faces.....  

Had a busy summer last year.  My step-daughter's weddingin Seattle, another step-daughter's wedding in San Francisco, and an Eagle scout's wedding in Tulsa.  Kinda hard to distinguish between step children and scouts.... :)

It's a good thing to be retired so I don't miss any of them.  :)

A couple of years ago I went to a gig and on the way in as I was putting my coat in I heard someone calling my name. Turned round and there was a familiar looking face, about 19-20 years old at a guess, clearly a member of staff at the venue.

Then it clicked, he was one of my old cubs from my cub leading days! He had a job working the door at the venue to save money before going to university and had seen me and Mrs Cambridgeskip come in. We had a chat and he insisted on getting us both a beer on the house (he wasn't allowed one as he was working), moments like that are ones to cherish :)

The Cub that gave me the most trouble is now a policeman in my town.

At den meetings, we passed a stick around and only the holder could speak. He hated that. Somehow I see him holding the stick and doing all the talking if and when I get pulled over. :eek:

I have a former Venturing Crew member who I had stand toe to toe with me one day and insist he would never be a leader, never wanted to be a leader and that I should get off his case about leadership. 

Eventually he lead a company of reenactors on the battlefield of a national event at Gettysburg, was squad leader during his ROTC years, and is now a Deputy Sheriff for the county.  Every now and then he pulls me over "to chat".  The conversation is always the same, "When are you going to become the sheriff?"  :)

It still scares the cajeebies out me when he hits that siren behind me.

I was not an Arrowman as a youth. When I did my ordeal as an adult, an elderly man approached me after the ceremony. "You don't recognize me, do you?" he asked. Turns out he was my Assistant Scoutmaster from 35 years prior. I was in my forties at the time of the ordeal. I have no idea how he recognized me as I was only a scout for a few years, in a different council.