2015's best compliment(s) from a youth ...

Happy New Year!

I thought it would be fun for us scouters to reflect on last year by relaying the best thing some youth said about each of us. I'm not necessarily talking about some speech at an awards ceremony ... but an out-of-the-mouths-of-babes one-liner that pretty much sums it up for you:

Mine came via a note at the tail end of the year from the family we had taken canoeing two days earlier. They were hiking and their dad told them to stay on the path.

One of my great-nieces replied, "If we were with Uncle @Qwazse, he would take us off the path to show us things!" :wub:

The shoe fits. I'm wearing it. :rolleyes:

Edited by qwazse

At the first  PLC of the season.   The SM has suggested some stuff to do, but no one is jumping in to decide.... The SM keeps saying , "What do YOU want to do, Randy?"   The new SPL  gets wide eyed and finally says , "you mean I can DO that?".

The Troop had a very good year after that.  

• Upvote 2

One of my jobs is as a Webelos Coach.  I do not do Den Meeting, but I do invite the Webelos to join me on some camping trips every year; and do joint activities (camping and field trips) with the troop.  One of my favorite Webelos told his parents this Fall, he would quit scouts if it was not for Mr. Troop 185 trips!

• Upvote 1

"We've got this Mr. Hedgehog" - SPL, frequently

"It was AWESOME" - New crossover after his mom asked him about his first campout

"IT'S MR. HEDGEHOG!!!" - Several senior scouts screaming with joy at my arrival at summer camp midweek

"That was the longest hike I've ever done" - A first year after six miles

"I can't believe I made it." - A 12 year old after backpacking 50 miles

"Leadership is a lot of work" - My son after his first campout as APL

"We need to work together more as patrols." - Several boys during stop, start and continue after our last campout

• Upvote 1

"I get what Memorial Day is about now" - a 1st year Scout to his Mom after a Memorial Day event/camp out

"Mr D., we're ready to go" - PL to me as the Patrol walks past the adult camp site to the swimming hole.  We (the adults) weren't; I had to play catch up.

"Grandpa would be proud of me" - a 1st year Scout to his Dad during pickup after a flag retirement ceremony the night before.

• Upvote 1