Merit Badge Sashes ... Who qualifies to wear one?

Go to solution Solved by scoutldr,

Perhaps I missed it, but I have found no BSA documentation stating that a scout MUST wear MB's on a sash, sleeve, or anywhere else? Could a scout just keep his merit badges in a box and skip the sash?

There is no Mandatory Rule...

However if your troop Does "uniform" inspections ....You would lose 5 Points in the Insignia Section because you were not wearing a Sash.

A Boy Scout could toss Merit Badges in the trash right away if they wanted to after receiving it..or tell troop save ya money.

There is no "Law" that you have to have a Boy Scout Collection of Memorabilia to pass down when you die. 

Some things are just tradition...Such as Wearing the First 6 Merit Badges on the right sleeve. Just off the Cuff...and the 7th and beyond on a Sash..

Now Days with so Many "earned" every Merit Badge but retain no knowledge Days I am surprised they have not gone to a Digital Sash..or made special Eagles to fit all the Palms

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only rule I can find from the BSA on merit badge sashes is that they can only be worn by Boy Scouts and Venturers earning advancement.   There are no rules saying that can only be worn by Scouts

That's because BSA has over-blinged stuff these days. Back in the day there were no or few knots, no mentor pins, no adult patrol patches, no JTE patches, no world crest rings, no jambo patches from 1

Or a belt sash.

There is no Mandatory Rule...

However if your troop Does "uniform" inspections ....You would lose 5 Points in the Insignia Section because you were not wearing a Sash....

No, you wouldn't. The sheet clearly states "if worn" what should be placed on it. You lose points only if inappropriate insignia are on the patch. If the sash is not worn (presumably because you haven't earned the badges), you get the full five points.

Digital sashes... More of my scouts regularly carry smartphones than pocketknives or anything else. I could see a Merit Badge Sash app or a Uniform app which could display his earned badges. Weird but it might be the future and make uniform police disappear. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

My son is the only scout I've ever seen that wears pathes ont he back of his merit badge sash.  He has 4 so far, His OA section patch, the OA NOAC Section patch, his NOAC standard participant patch, and a patch representing our district.  He's putting a lot of thought into what the next two should be.  He may want to contine the OA theme, but also, he is pretty proud of NYLT.  As the one that sews, I've only asked him to stick with his decision, because if he wants to replace one, I'll let him do the sewing!

Actually, the official red wool Jac-shirt is not for that purpose, either.  Or polyester or whatever it is now.

Really? I've always seen them with patches galore. Is there a BSA uniform guideline that says we cannot use the jac for that?

Yeah I saw that. Read this too. Checked the Guide to Awards and Insignia and got nothing. Checked the Scouting Magazine archive, also nothing.

So I just sent a note to the Ask the Expert page on Scouting Magazine. Figured I would share what I get, but so far I don't see any written guidelines baring you from wearing more than one patch on your red jacket.

The Jac-Shirt is not part of the BSA official uniform, any more than the BSA blue jeans sold in the catalog.  There's a lot of clothing items sold that aren't part of the BSA official uniform.  One can sew hundreds of patches on their class-b uniforms because there is no such thing as a class-b uniform.  The only restrictions are what goes on the official uniform which very few wear appropriately anyway.

• Upvote 1

The Jac-Shirt is not part of the BSA official uniform, any more than the BSA blue jeans sold in the catalog.  There's a lot of clothing items sold that aren't part of the BSA official uniform.  One can sew hundreds of patches on their class-b uniforms because there is no such thing as a class-b uniform.  The only restrictions are what goes on the official uniform which very few wear appropriately anyway.

And yet it is mentioned in the uniform and insignia guide. ;)

I might get me a Jac-Shirt one of these days.  I'm not sure what I'll sew onto it though.  A philmont bull for sure, and probably an OA back patch, maybe the one from my youth. 

I've seen some that do the sleeves just like their scout uniform, CSP, Unit #, Position etc.  I actually think that looks like of weird, but I get it at the same time.

Until I drop the cash on a Jac-Shirt, I'll live with my red lodge fleece.  haven't sewn any patches on it ... yet ... strongly considering it.