Your information is registered at the "Scout Office" and or your information is at Scouting.org where you did some of your online training.  You can also keep up with all that information there once you put in your BSA number, all your training will be available.

Have Council make a hard copy of your record for you to keep.

Records disappear or get messed up.  My oldest council has records showing I completed SM training in 1910 (which would make me at least 126) and was a District Chairman in 1932-1934 (before I was alive or that district existed) .  Everything they have on me before 2004 is inaccurate.  It's down to, "Tell us what we should put in your file."

Edited by TAHAWK
  • 2 weeks later...

Is changing Councils not as simple as editing your profile on Myscouting.org? It looks like you can change Councils with a drop down box and keep the same id. As long as that was followed up with a paper application to a position in a new Council

In answer to the original question in bold, have you considered being a Unit Commissioner for a Pack that is struggling? Your training and knowledge could be put to great use. 

Yeah, I know, I lit the UC fuse on a thread about jumbled record keeping.

• Upvote 1

@@tonkatim

I haven't thought of that Unit Commish idea.  Actually a good idea.  I offered to do this more or less for our upcoming new CM, just informally.

Anyway, I don't know much about what a good UC does since I've never had a good one, but I'd bet it's mostly a sounding board and advice resource for other units.  Maybe attend meetings once in a long while, a few phone calls or emails now and then....

Others have suggested continuing with the pack.... which I might still do down the road, but I have to admit my heart isn't into the pack all that much right now, and besides I think they'd be better served with active parents in the key positions, or at least most of them.

(the one exception would be the Tiger DL, for the right person.... but I'm not that person that would be the best fit for that.  

The UC seems like something for folks like me to consider.

Here's part of what National thinks a UC does, http://www.scouting.org/Home/Commissioners/orientation.aspx.  I've recently signed on as a UC.  My understanding is the expectation of at least 6 unit contacts a year plus a detailed assessment and help with JTE and recharter as required.  Plus any ad hoc requests that come up.  Multiplied by 2 or 3 units.

yeah, the other currently running thread about UC has me second guessing my statement about it being something to consider.

Based only on that discussion, it seems that an expectation is to get knee deep into politics, maybe act as a dispute mediator, push fund raising, etc...

No Thanks!

If it was about helping new scouters get up to speed, brainstorming program with them for an improved unit, etc..., then I could see a glimmer of appeal.

I'm thinking a lot of the UC's job is handing the petty politics that the DE's don't want to deal with unless they have to.  A good UC will also be a source of knowledge of resources available to actually helping units.  As dysfunctional as the UC position is in today's real world, it's rretty much whatever one want to make of it.  I don't remember anyone getting fired from the position.  :)