First I guess yea its 4 years away BUT still some have to save for 2 of those.  So here is the beginning of the Thread

WHO

WHAT

WHY

WHERE

WHEN

The Who:  Boy Scouts from All over the World

The What:  2019 World Jamboree

They Why: Because it occurs every 4 years, and its SCOUTING.  Last time was 1967

The Where: @ Summit Bechtel

The When: July 22nd-Aug 2nd of 2019

Guys I am so new to this because in two months my son will be crossing over from Cubs to Boy Scouts.  Son's birthday is Mar 14 2005 and I have considered 2017 Jambo but I would like to wait till World where he will be a little older.

Any clue on the Price (round abouts) I was approved for 2017 Staff and I am sure I will apply again for 2019 Staff 

What I don't want is to NOT go to 2017 and find out 2019 is priced higher then I want to spend for the both of us.

thanks

I have no idea how much you get charged for national jamborees but I would expect to pay more for a world jamboree.

They are priced so that scouts from western countries are charged a lot more than those from the developing world, effectively subsidising them. If I recall right WOSM put each country into one of 5 price categories and I would assume that USA, along with the likes of UK, Japan, Australia, Germany, Canada etc will be in the top one.

As a general rule, I tell scouts to make themselves useful to their parents to the tune of $100 more a month in a job, added chores, or flawless academic marks. Then earn Personal Management MB. That way when opportunities like this arise, they will be prepared with funds to take advantage of them.

That'll get you in the ballpark if you start saving now.

I think it is wise to wait until a boy is solidly a First Class scout until committing to big ticket scouting. Thirteen is mighty young for a first Jambo, 15-16 is just about right IMHO.

I know we had a scout (Memphis, area) go to Japan for World and it cost him over 6k, but that was to go to Japan.

Just for giggles, on United's website I just checked pricing for round-trip tickets between Chicago and Tokyo as if the WSJ was this year.  My reservation had my tickets leaving Saturday July 23rd, arriving Sunday July 24th, with a return ticket for Saturday Aug. 6th.  It was just over $2000.  So if the Japan WSJ was roughly $6k, and I can get coach travel for just one person for $2k, without any bulk purchase discount, it might be reasonable to assume the remaining $4k was the Jamboree fee.  You'll still have to travel for the Jamboree so $5k minimum to attend the WSJ at the Summit on the back of my envelope.  

Check your airline, if that is your preference.  Closest major aeropuerto to Mount  Hope WestbygodVirginia is about 200 miles.  There are no close AMTRAK stations (Thurmond is an AMTRAK station, about 10 miles away but over some tiny mountain roads).  Access to The Summit is and will continue to be motor coach from the bigger towns and cities.

If you want another ball park, UK price for the Japan Jamboree was £3000, or $4400. That included transport. I would guess then that the fee component was around £1500-2000. So $2200-$3000.

And, just a small point...

The Who:  Boy Scouts from All over the World

I know that UK scouts also invite the girl guides along, and are also mixed, we send two lasses and a lad to Japan last year, so

The Who: Scouts from All over the World

Would be more accurate.

Ian
  • Upvote 1

...The Who:  Boy Scouts from All over the World

I know that UK scouts also invite the girl guides along, and are also mixed, we send two lasses and a lad to Japan last year, so

The Who: Scouts from All over the World

Would be more accurate.

Ian

And from the BSA ranks, "scouts" would include younger venturers age 14-17, male and female (as shown by the cover picture on 2019WSJ's site.

The WOSM hosts for the event will be Scouts Canada, BSA, and Asociacion de Scouts de Mexico, so hopefully that will make for a larger pool of young adult volunteers to staff the event (and, no doubt, and interesting work experience). It is not clear what, if any, cost adjustments will be made for volunteers.

The GS/USA is not part of the WOSM, and the World Jamboree is not on their calendar. However, the folks who I met returning from Japan expressed strong feelings that these bureaucratic hurdles be overcome.

• 4 weeks later...