Feel a little hurt and angry

The CC and SM were the ones that told me after the cross over yesterday, the reason they gave was the other guy decided he wanted the job now after not wanting it before. It was made clear they didn't like the idea of me trying to make it a patrol method, boy led troop. There might have been something else involved I don't know, heck maybe some parent complained that I was too rough/demanding on their kid, which I will admit I might have done.

So they didn't want a Scout troop, they wanted Webelos III.... 

I do think that  you need to go elsewhere, but if possible find another troop.   Scouting needs men that are willing and able to backpack.  Your current troop doesn't.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@David CO, if you read the thread you'd see here just how dishonest the CC and others were being. They have a meeting without @@Renax127? They don't take him aside and have a talk as to why he is not

Well the decision has been made, I will not be rechartering and for now neither will my son. When I got home my son laid it out for me   When he got home from school asked his mom  "What happened ye

One cannot Pollyanna smile oneself out of a bad situation.  Sounds like it's time to move on, these politics aren't going away anytime soon and there are plenty of other well run troops out there that

I think that's part of it, one of the things said was "well the boys have to have fun or they won't come back". Well of course its fun to get things without putting in any effort. I don't know that I want to stay around and see the little progress I've made with the new scouts in particular, destroyed.

I disagree. I think Scouting is more fun with effort, because the effort is the fun.  

Well the decision has been made, I will not be rechartering and for now neither will my son. When I got home my son laid it out for me

When he got home from school asked his mom  "What happened yesterday? Dad was supposed to be SM and now (other guy) is" 

"No point in staying, he won' let us doing anything"

To me at home 

"well I don't want to go back, I was just staying to help you change things anyway. I'll look for another troop but every one we've gone to hasn't been boy lead"

"I'll join Ventures when I'm 14, I just want to hike and camp anyway"

Thanks for all the advice and just letting me blow off steam today. This affected me way more than I thought it would, I was distracted by it all day.

• Upvote 4

"No point in staying, he won' let us doing anything"

To me at home 

"well I don't want to go back, I was just staying to help you change things anyway. I'll look for another troop but every one we've gone to hasn't been boy lead"

"I'll join Ventures when I'm 14, I just want to hike and camp anyway"

Thanks for all the advice and just letting me blow off steam today. This affected me way more than I thought it would, I was distracted by it all day.

...and this is where you are proud because 1) your kid is smart, 2) you obviously did something right in your parenting, and 3) he knows who screwed up, you have values and he shares them.

Buy him an ice cream and have one of those father-son moments. ;)

• Upvote 3

Out of curiosity,  are the adult leaders you are dealing with TRAINED?  

Sorry you had this bad experience.  Are there other things you'd like to do,  such as helping to leader high adventure outings?  What is the nature of the troop's outdoor program?

SP, this is an excellent question.

However, at the risk of me being a smarty pants, the problem with the leaders who did this to Renax isn't one of training, but of character....

• Upvote 1

This:

..... "... I just want to hike and camp anyway" ...

That's the boy we mould entire troops around.

Think out of the box. Trail Life or BPSA or Canoe Trails or the local orienteering club or any other group would love to have you on account of your boy!

SP, this is an excellent question.

However, at the risk of me being a smarty pants, the problem with the leaders who did this to Renax isn't one of training, but of character....

Oh yeah they are trained all the required online ... uh stuff, Eagle, WB and OA. It's simply "the boys can't do it right" thinking on their part (what if they don't do X, etc) and an inability to deal with the chaos inherent in Boy led. Lots of but what if they do it wrong comments to me on Sunday.

I am not an Eagle, I was a Scout and made it to Star.

That said I rechartered my son, not sure he's going back but just in case, I did not. I looked in to BPSA before I think I might again. I also tried contacting our DE about finding a troop but honestly I did that before and it seems she doesn't know what boy led means either.

I also tried contacting our DE about finding a troop but honestly I did that before and it seems she doesn't know what boy led means either.

If you are anywhere near New Jersey, you are welcome to join our Troop.  Only requirements are that you like spending time in the outdoors and you bring your own chair and coffee cup -- so you can sit down and drink coffee while the boys lead.

If you are anywhere near New Jersey, you are welcome to join our Troop.  Only requirements are that you like spending time in the outdoors and you bring your own chair and coffee cup -- so you can sit down and drink coffee while the boys lead.

Thanks but I'm in Florida. I admit I should have known something was up when none of them drank coffee I mean who does that. :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks but I'm in Florida. I admit I should have known something was up when none of them drank coffee I mean who does that. :)

Bring to mind this old Far Side strip. Should add a fifth panel about Scouters not drinking coffee. ;)

gary-larsen.png

@@Renax127 do you know about beascout.org? You can put in your zip and it will give you all units around you Google Maps style.

Oh yeah, we've looked A LOT he's tired of trying to find some place as well. Is there a patrol method boy led troop around, well I'm sure there is but both of us are tired of trying to find one.

Oh yeah they are trained all the required online ... uh stuff, Eagle, WB and OA. It's simply "the boys can't do it right" thinking on their part (what if they don't do X, etc) and an inability to deal with the chaos inherent in Boy led. Lots of but what if they do it wrong comments to me on Sunday.\

The online stuff doesn't make them trained. In our Troop, no one is allowed to be a direct contact leader without the TRAINED patchj for their position. For SM or ASM, that means SM basic and IOLS. That is where an experienced group of SMs will beat the boy led into them.

Edited by Torchwood