Feel a little hurt and angry

Walk away. You can't fix this situation. I encourage you and your son to look for a new troop. Your son should encourage his friends to switch too. The only way the"leaders" like this CC and ASM will get the message about their behavior is if people refuse to bow down to them and their toxic behavior.

The sad part is older scouts who were excited for what Renax would bring to the table will know exactly what went down.

If that move was pulled on me, I'd walk out and never go back.

Seattlepioneer is right to mention training. These fools clearly do not understand the program, or they wouldn't want to have a troop where the scouts are coddled.This is counterproductive to our goal to create young men of character.

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@David CO, if you read the thread you'd see here just how dishonest the CC and others were being. They have a meeting without @@Renax127? They don't take him aside and have a talk as to why he is not

Well the decision has been made, I will not be rechartering and for now neither will my son. When I got home my son laid it out for me   When he got home from school asked his mom  "What happened ye

One cannot Pollyanna smile oneself out of a bad situation.  Sounds like it's time to move on, these politics aren't going away anytime soon and there are plenty of other well run troops out there that

Thanks but I'm in Florida. I admit I should have known something was up when none of them drank coffee I mean who does that. :)

I'm visiting the Treasure coast next week, and I make a mean espresso. Just sayin ..
  • Upvote 1

This thread keeps me thinking about the book I recently read, So Far So Good, a new Scoutmaster's Story

the story is exactly the kind of thing that Renax wanted to do, I think,.... but you just didn't quite have the buy-in and trust from the CC.

It seems like it's really tough for any person not in either the SM or CC positions to really have much of an effect in change.

Anyway, heres wishing the best for your son @@Renax127, & I'm hoping you can get the distance you need to let it go.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who has joined a troop as a leader or taken over a leadership role has run in to this issue (the institutional leaders saying "We do it this way..."). I knew immediately what I wanted to change when I crossed over with my scout, spoke to the SM and was told what they feel comfortable changing. I knew from his response what degree of change the troop was willing to embrace. There were some things (switching from cotton to dri-fit troop shirts) which they pushed back on; while they did like having the Instructors develop and manage the curriculum for teaching skills to the new Scouts. Go figure.

My point is, I knew right away if the unit was willing to embrace certain changes. Over time we were able to become far more boy-led than we ever were. We lost a few people (2-4 leaders and their kids) as a result. However, we were able to attract far more new Scouts and adults than we lost. Turnover is below 2%. The level of activity for older Scouts increased tremendously.

I think @@Renax127 will rely on his "read" of his troop as to whether it is worth sticking around. Gut feel serves one well. 

<<It seems like it's really tough for any person not in either the SM or CC positions to really have much of an effect in change.>> 

Unfortunately,  anyone who fails to do a good job seems to be able to affect change in a unit,  for the worse.

Making a positive change is frequently tougher, as you describe.

<<It seems like it's really tough for any person not in either the SM or CC positions to really have much of an effect in change.>> 

Unfortunately,  anyone who fails to do a good job seems to be able to affect change in a unit,  for the worse.

Making a positive change is frequently tougher, as you describe.

Well the universe tends toward entropy and rolling poop down hill is way easier.

It should be really tough for any person to have much of an effect in change without the explicit approval of the chartered organization.  The CO owns the unit.

Experience and observation in my area says most CO's don't know that AND don't really care. Units do what they want as long as they follow BSA policy and don't break laws.