Another troop dropped by their CO

I just caught wind of a troop near by getting dropped by its CO.  

It is/was a fairly large troop at around 50 or scouts I think.  As far as I know it's a non-denominational church, for whatever that's worth.  

Funny thing, I don't necessarily disagree with churches for doing this... they have to follow their faith after all.... and I have to say that I think the BSA was wrong for even making this an issue.

But what strikes me even more is the message that sends.  That's a lot of scouts trying to find a new home.  That's 50 families that reduce contact with that church. For whichever church agrees to pick up that charter, that's 50 families that start coming in their doors.  50 families getting exposed to their message.  50 families worth of potential new church members.  That's really something when you think of it in those terms.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry ghjim but THESE are the dark days of Scouting.  Most of what you talk about since Dale vs. BSA is mythology being perpetrated by adults who seek to validate their own lifestyle or political phil

I've always played by the rules but what most people don't know is I still carry a personal million dollar liability umbrealla over and above what BSA provides.  With the Venture Crew I had an additon

I have a guy in the community that Our District Eagle Award Ceremony's are named after, hes been to 10+ Jamboree's 4+ World jamboree and Philmont atleast 8 times.  A mans Man! and he is also a Lawyer.

Funny thing, I don't necessarily disagree with churches for doing this... they have to follow their faith after all.... and I have to say that I think the BSA was wrong for even making this an issue.

BSA made it an issue? Please!

What I see happening is the local option, for liability reasons, is disappearing and instead of standing together, BSA has abandoned them to the winds of change.  For this reason, I don't blame them for simply walking away from BSA and looking at other less risky options out there.

Like I posted elsewhere, dump the charter, the uniform and the identification with BSA, and how run it as a youth ministry.  Unfortunately the "easy way out" does not bode well for the BSA.

Of course any local option units moving to another CO will need to leave their equipment and finances behind.

Edited by Stosh

501c3, that's how our troop does it. Actually, a good chunk of the troops in the district are done that way.

Right. Which means you have a board, must submit your own tax and finance records and there's company and personal liability for anything that happens.

That's way more exposure than a volunteer needs.

• Upvote 1

I've always played by the rules but what most people don't know is I still carry a personal million dollar liability umbrealla over and above what BSA provides.  With the Venture Crew I had an additonal 2 million dollar policy and that totaled a whopping $5 million liability coverage that I often wondered if it would be enough.  What a lot of people don't realize is that one distruntled scout parent can empty your bank accounts and retirement accounts faster than a computer hacker and do it legally.

People complain a lot about the cost of liability insurance, car insurance, homeowners umbrella policies, etc., but without them the average volunteer and his family could be wiped out in a heartbeat.

Ignorance is bliss until the letter from the lawyer shows up in your mailbox or the deputy comes knocking with a warrant.   45 years of working with youth have taught me a few things along the way.  There ain't no such thing as too much insurance.

• Upvote 2

What I see happening is the local option, for liability reasons, is disappearing and instead of standing together, BSA has abandoned them to the winds of change.  For this reason, I don't blame them for simply walking away from BSA and looking at other less risky options out there.

Like I posted elsewhere, dump the charter, the uniform and the identification with BSA, and how run it as a youth ministry.  Unfortunately the "easy way out" does not bode well for the BSA.

Of course any local option units moving to another CO will need to leave their equipment and finances behind.

I know if my unit did that, it would be the end of my involvement with them, as I'm not a church member and I'm not a member of that denomination at all. 

I know if my unit did that, it would be the end of my involvement with them, as I'm not a church member and I'm not a member of that denomination at all. 

The CO I have now, I, too am not a member of the church, nor am I a member of that denomination.  I was looking for a place to have a Scout troop and they said yes.  If they now say no, I'll just move on down the street and look for another place to hold the troop.  If the troop drops the uniform and charter and stays on with the church, then I'll just have to start another troop.  I've done it before, it's not the end of the world.

I wasn't a member of the denomination or church that sponsored my troop but that wouldn't keep me from helping them if they went the independent route.  As it stands, I informed the Scoutmaster corps and committee members that were at the meeting this week that I will not be registering for 2016.  Robert Gates made it an issue and did so in the most devious totalitarian (i.e., unScoutlike) way possible.  I don't blame the COs that have thought about this if they no longer have any trust in National.

• Upvote 1

@@HICO_Eagle, curious but was the reaction of the Scoutmasters?

They were disappointed but said they understood and supported my decision but we've been talking about this since Gates made his announcement.  Pretty much the same reaction from my SE and the council shooting sports committee.  I suspect the COR will be more disappointed as I didn't tell her directly (she was talking with some parents and I didn't want to break it to them just yet).  I've been a Scout leader for more than half my life but I will find other ways to help kids and the community -- and in fact I told the shooting sportsl committee and Scoutmasters that I was willing to help out in ways that didn't involve registering with BSA (e.g., as a rifle instructor or RSO).  My issue is with Gates and the Board of Directors, not with the council or troop or the kids.

People joined BSA with a certain level of expectation.  For a while that expectation was provided.  Now as "times" change the program that used to be the anchor/glue holding itself together providing something unique and valuable.  So if expectations change and the programs change, why would anyone think for a moment that the original people in the program will continue with it when it no longer meets their expectations?  I have suspected for some time now that because of what I have, my skill set isn't really working for the current program.  Yes, I still adhere to the Scout Law, but maybe I don't say A Scout is Loyal quite as forcefully as I have in past years.  Time passes in only one direction.  One cannot go back, and so if the future isn't as bright as one would want, there are plenty of other opportunities out there to be considered.  The great leadership/character development program for young men that started out many moons ago, is not what the people want today.  So, don't try and pretend it to be.  It used to be a Scout was known for his honesty.

Being part of the Scouting movement in America for 50+ years isn't necessarily the blessing everyone wishes it to be.  Maybe the only consolation the old guard can retain is the idea that for a brief moment, they where one of the few that got a chance to be part of the Golden Age of Scouting in America. 

• Upvote 1