Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod Dissolves Relationship with BSA

You can read the full article here.

Key passage quotes, verbatim:

As of Dec. 1, 2015, the LCMS no longer has an official relationship with the BSA.

While legal speculation is just that, we are concerned that the legal boundaries are still being drawn with each court case, and we are concerned that LCMS congregations could be pulled into such a legal battle. Congregations who continue their BSA charters after the Dec. 1, 2015, dissolution of the LCMS MOU should seek local legal counsel and guidance on how best to safeguard themselves legally.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

This is not for discussion of policy.  This is for those who are members of units under charter by an LCMS congregation, and for LCMS congregations who are local chartered partners.

There is a parallel thread in I&P for policy discussion.

Click here to go to it

Edited by John-in-KC

I don't know enough about the LCMS governance structure to know.  Does this mean that their Churches, cannot charter, should not charter, or are just own their own if they do charter and get caught up in a lawsuit.

The latter seemed to be the message, but I speak from a position of ignorance.

I don't know enough about the LCMS governance structure to know.  Does this mean that their Churches, cannot charter, should not charter, or are just own their own if they do charter and get caught up in a lawsuit.

The latter seemed to be the message, but I speak from a position of ignorance.

In reading the LCMS letter, it appears that 1) the governing body is dissolving the MOU, 2) they are leaving continued support of the BSA up to individual congregations, and 3) the LCMS is seeking to work with Trail Life to develop a relationship.

Simply put, the local churches can decide what they want to do, but proceed without the umbrella of the governing body (and their insurance). It also means the LCMS is looking to substitute BSA with Trail Life. That's nearly 4,000 units now at risk.

At least, that's my reading.

LCMS discussions with Trail Life are also on-hold as it sounds like they hit a roadblock there too.  The issue is really that if charter orgs care about the program their scout group puts forward, then the charter org needs to be more involved in the unit and select leaders that reflect their church or organization.