Charter Agreement revision

I posted this here in I&P as it would be destine for here. I just came across an updated version of the Annual Charter Agreement, with two new additions.  Looks like they are trying to weed out any "activist" organizations becoming COs.

The Chartered Organization agrees to:

• Chartered organizations must utilize the Scouting program to accomplish specific objectives related to one or more of the following:
    • Youth character development
    • Career skill development
    • Community service
    • Patriotism and military and veteran recognition
    • Faith-based youth ministry

• Chartered organizations must not use the Scouting program to pursue any objectives related to political or social advocacy, including partisan politics, support or opposition to government action or controversial legal, political, or social issues or causes.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/membership/pdf/524-182_web.pdf

This is laughable considering how Bob Gates and activist members of the Board of Directors unnecessarily inserted themselves into social issues.  BSA has been a focal point of the culture wars precisely because it was a pillar of traditional values.

• Upvote 1

This is laughable considering how Bob Gates and activist members of the Board of Directors unnecessarily inserted themselves into social issues.  BSA has been a focal point of the culture wars precisely because it was a pillar of traditional values.

I wonder if the activist board members who voted for the two membership policy changes got a vote on this new language.

I wonder if the activist board members who voted for the two membership policy changes got a vote on this new language.

Heck, I think they helped craft it.  This language is exactly the kind of thing I expect from DC-type politicrats like Gates.  They will use it as a hammer against those who don't conform to their new definition of appropriate activities and overlook those who support causes they like.

• Upvote 1

Interesting related news article.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/scouts-ban-advocacy-hurt-groups-bid-troop-35735843

With a very interesting quote  "The Boy Scouts' doors are open, but new troop applications must now be approved by a national body, not locally, Great Salt Lake Council Scout Executive Rick Barnes said."

Edited by robert12

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/scouts-ban-advocacy-hurt-groups-bid-troop-35735843

With a very interesting quote  "The Boy Scouts' doors are open, but new troop applications must now be approved by a national body, not locally, Great Salt Lake Council Scout Executive Rick Barnes said."

I wonder what they mean by "LBGT troop"? Are they only going to accept gay members?

Edited by Krampus

I hope the BSA will explain that statement about new troop applications needing to be approved by national.

I hope the BSA will explain that statement about new troop applications needing to be approved by national.

It's not quite clear, but the way I read it was approval process for LDS units must be done nationally.  If the LDS are using it as their youth ministry program, then I seen no problem with their approach.