what to do about caneled campouts

The troop I serve as Scoutmaster has had to cancel the last two campouts that were scheduled. This has led to scouts not having the oppertunities to fulfill rank requirements and advance before the next COH

What do other troops do to help the scouts recieve advancements in a timely manner(FCFY), when unforseen speed bumps prevent the progam from getting presented?(This message has been edited by andrewcanoe)(This message has been edited by andrewcanoe)

Bad weather has caused us to cancel numerous campout over the past few years. That's life. If it means enough to the Scouts, they'll organize a patrol campout. So far not one patrol campout has happened.

This isn't a race and even if it was, our role as coaches doesn't mean that we push them down the track.

Hi All

Once in a while whether pushes us into the indoor mode and we will do a lockin, or visit a museum. Once we contacted the YMCA and they let us do a lockin there, for a fee of course. Only once did we cancel because of adults, but that was more of a timing and location problem. So we found a site within a few minutes of town to allow adults to drive back and forth. I like the idea of hooking up with another troop. I can see a lot of fun advantages with doing that. In fact, maybe we should do more of that anyway.

HAve a great week.

Barry

Last year during a difficult time for the troop a couple of outings were cancelled due to lack of interests. The PLC planned the outing however when it came time to go nobody wanted to or maybe just a couple of boys.

We no longer cancel an outing if only two boys want to go, we go and have a great time

We didn't cancel any campouts last year, but we did plan some alternatives to camping. One weekend we did an "Outdoor Skills day". It was on a Saturday, started in the morning and went into the afternoon. We worked on Toten Chip, Firem'n Chit and other basics. They had a good time. Also, this winter, we changed one campout to a lock-in.

We were trying to schedule a campout in early March, but the boys didn't want to do it. They're kind of afraid of the cold after a cold, wet Klondike a couple of weeks ago. We've decided to make a trip up to a ski slope to do some snow tubing and just have fun. We won't be spending the night, but it still gives them an activity and a chance to bond.

I'm interested in how weather forces the cancelation of an outing. The "great blackout of the northeast" did not cancel our canoe trip, 2F didn't cancel our winter outing, driving rains didn't cancel out hikes, etc. Unless tornadoes or hurricanes why cancel? I like the quote, "our wet weather plan is to get wet."

Thanks for all the replies!!

One campout were canceled due to weather, freezing rain and most roads including the one into the campsite were undriveable.

The campout this weekend was canceled because of not enough adult leadership(valentines day probably had something to do with it)

We do have a troop that has expressed intrest in being sister troops but I feel That the troop that planned the event should at least be able to provide 2 leaders(I would like a total of 4 or more adults) in case of emergency that would force a scout to have leave to prevent any 1 on 1 contact

"I'm interested in how weather forces the cancelation of an outing."

Let's see . . . last fall we had a little thing called a hurricane cause cancellation of a campout because the ocean front campground had pretty much ceased to exist.

Last spring we had so much rain that camping area were closed because of flooding, mud so deep that cars couldn't go, trees uprooting and closing roads.

This winter we missed out on a campout because the roads were closed because of an ice storm.

Luckily, we've never had to cancel an outing for weather, and we've never had to cancel one for lack of adult leadership.

A couple of times, outings dreamed up by the PLC that were not planned well had very few boys turn out, and the group of people who were ready to go voted to cancel. These have been great teaching opurtunities. Hasn't happened often, luckily, but it has happened.

Mark

As a Scoutmaster I try to never cancel a camping trip. Not to say that bad weather and or lack of adults for two deep has made it a challange sometimes. In the winter I'll encourage the scouts to do winter cabins one month. If winter cabins are not available somewhere that there is a good pavilion.

I usually conduct a JLT in Feb. at local scout camp using their pavalion and other shelters. We try never to cancel because of bad weather. Our troop has a scout hut with pavilion,,,if things get tough we can camp on the church gounds and use the pavalion. This puts us close enough to home that aduls can swap out their time. What I'm saying is get your PLC to look down the road and make a plan ABC & D if needed to keep things moving.