K of C dropping charters

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True, but in the past how many photographers and bakers had been put out of business and legally harassed into bankruptcy because of their conscience? If someone gets a burr and goes after a church, I

Assuming that parish sponsors can be found for over 1000 troops.

Looks like legal positioning to me.     Now why would KoC worry about being sued?

This is a weird statement, to say the least:

In response to a message of Pope Francis during the World Meeting of Families in which he called for a new alliance between the Church and the family, the organization has decided to phase out these programs while re-focusing its efforts on providing financial and volunteer support to Scout units and other youth activities that are sponsored by parishes.

This is a weird statement, to say the least:

Not really. KoC is refocusing giving financial and volunteer support to units. They are leaving the sponsorship to the parishes. It's a simple reorganization.

Assuming that parish sponsors can be found for over 1000 troops.

The parish themselves will sponsor them. It sounds like if you were a KoC unit you will be moved to a local church.

It would be good to hear from a KoC unit to see what they are experiencing. Our local KoC unit is simply moving to the church.

Looking at the statement at face value, the Pope wants the parish church to be the focal point of Catholic life.  So the KoC is stepping aside and saying they want the troops to be given over to the parish.  It almost makes some sense because pre 1950s the local parish was what a Catholic family revolved around.  They were baptized, went to school, married, and buried there.  My question is will the parishes take the troops and the potential legal problems that come with them?

I'm not a knight, but I thought they were already "under" a parish.... more or less chartered by the one they meet at and where all their members attend mass.  That's the way it seems around here....

but then, what do I know...

I'm not a knight, but I thought they were already "under" a parish.... more or less chartered by the one they meet at and where all their members attend mass.  That's the way it seems around here....

KofC councils are not under parishes. They are sometimes (? frequently?) associated with parishes though. Even then I don't think there is anything preventing members joining a council from other parishes.

Not really. KoC is refocusing giving financial and volunteer support to units. They are leaving the sponsorship to the parishes. It's a simple reorganization.

I don't think it's that simple. The parishes will have to pick up the charters. In any given case the pastor could refuse. Or the local parish might already have a troop.

Locally, we have a few KoC groups that are multi-parish.  We tend to have fairly small parishes here. 

I don't think it's that simple. The parishes will have to pick up the charters. In any given case the pastor could refuse. Or the local parish might already have a troop.

The press does not seem to echo any concern. Can't find a single story about it last I looked.

I can't see the church turning down any units. The units in my area are already "absorbed" in to the Catholic parish. They have new meeting locations, etc.

The press does not seem to echo any concern. Can't find a single story about it last I looked.

I can't see the church turning down any units. The units in my area are already "absorbed" in to the Catholic parish. They have new meeting locations, etc.

I can see some doing it.  The first time that someone is turned down for a adult leader position and they sue a church.... Katie bar the door.