Friends of Scouting Mandatory?

Our council camp was built on an old tree farm.  The major improvement 10 years ago pulped the farm.  The next major improvement was selling off the oak trees before the blight got them and if we need a new anything, we'll be camping in a stump field.  It'll look nice though.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd send a money order for $1.00 from the Troop as a token FOS contribution along with a copy of the e-mail to the Council President (the top volunteer) and a note explaining that this should meet the

I prefer to contribute directly to a council camp, and specific projects.  "Raising X dollars to replace the roof on the mess hall."  No problem, I'll write a check, happy to help.   However....  

I'm just waiting for someone to take issue with @@JoeBob and his picture. I mean, shades and a cowboy hat? C'mon, what's not to hate there.   @@SeattlePioneer, check out the video here and groove o

Actually, the donation of the full $12m came from one place. One person. His request was to use the money to "upgrade the camps as the council sees fit." The discussions and suggestions from the districts and units were to use it for the purposes I have enumerated. Council, as they do in most things lately, went their own route rather than to listen to the membership.

When I've made donations (nothing in that ballpark!), I've requested specific wishlists on concrete unfundeds.  My annual payraises or bonuses (as well as an unexpected windfall) went toward a new Mule for the camp, new rifles, fixing some sliding wall partitions and shelves at the council office, etc.  I asked for no recognition although the camp director asked for permission to put a small plaque on the Mule indicating my donation (I told him I didn't want it but he could do it if he thought it would spur other donations).

Our council was pretty bad about the mandatory FOS participation years ago but I have to say it's been much better in recent years.  The SE who took over 3-4 years ago has been very good about making activities pay for themselves through a nominal add-on tax but not pressing the "Fund Our Salaries" approach that turns so many people off.  I will say, having been privy to some resource discussions here and there, that most people underestimate what it costs to put on the council- and district-level activities they seem to want.  I've seen plenty of penny-pinching in order to keep activities at a reasonable price and still have units complain about the cost; I've also heard lots of Cub parents whine about the waits to participate in the Cub shooting events but very few of them ever show up to help out with the events or get the training that would enable them to help reduce the wait times.

This is a side of Scouting that I won't miss ...

• Upvote 1

As District Commissioner, I noticed that council added to the November calender, right next to our regular roundtable "/FOS presentation".  Not a phone call or e-mail, they just added themselves to the calender. So to accomadate them, I rearranged the meeting plan to fit them in.  Wouldn't you know, they didn't show up.    

Anyone ever deal with the "Camp Card"?   Our council is pushing participation, requesting number of cards each unit plans to sell at $5 dollars a piece.  Problem year after year is that the discounts offered on the cards are only good in the "southern" portion of the council, and are worthless up here.  They can not understand why every year we don't (CAN'T) sell them.  They accuse us of not "doing our fair share" raising monies.   

And yes, every year the "promise" to get more merchants up in our area or make a special card just for us never materialize.

• Upvote 1

As District Commissioner, I noticed that council added to the November calender, right next to our regular roundtable "/FOS presentation".  Not a phone call or e-mail, they just added themselves to the calender. So to accomadate them, I rearranged the meeting plan to fit them in.  Wouldn't you know, they didn't show up.    

Anyone ever deal with the "Camp Card"?   Our council is pushing participation, requesting number of cards each unit plans to sell at $5 dollars a piece.  Problem year after year is that the discounts offered on the cards are only good in the "southern" portion of the council, and are worthless up here.  They can not understand why every year we don't (CAN'T) sell them.  They accuse us of not "doing our fair share" raising monies.   

And yes, every year the "promise" to get more merchants up in our area or make a special card just for us never materialize.

CChoate,

Camp cards--you just described our council/district dynamic to a T.   The only difference is the council's camp card works great up north, and down here in the southern part of the state, not so much.

The council finally realized that their Big City card doesn't work worth a hoot out here in the sticks.   So they offered to help districts create their own that utilize local businesses.   Pro:   local businesses like the idea and want to participate.   Con:  our council's lack of communication, red tape, missed deadlines, poor record keeping, and inability to produce quality products in a timely manner have prevented any measurable success with a local camp card.   Truly the lemon isn't worth the squeeze.

PS.   On the other hand, they've stopped the pressure for rural districts to push the Big City card.   And they haven't invited themselves to our district meeting to push FOS.   I guess I should count my blessings!

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1

Do you live in my district/council? ;) Sounds very familiar.

Yes, our council/district push popcorn and camp cards as mandatory too. We do flowers....huge sellers. Camp cards? Not so much. Did Xmas stuff this year. Was a last minute thing but I think it could be a big seller for the CO and unit. Unfortunately the CO is lukewarm to the idea simply because it is seen as competing with other ministry activities/events/fundraising.

Everybody seated?  JoeBob actually likes Camp Cards.  They worked well for my troop.

For those who live in the urban settings, I would think they would do well.  We do not do coupon books, but other organizations in the area do and one can get some pretty good value for the cost of the book.  However, some of the coupons are for restaurants, golf-courses, etc. that are an hour away and either we give them to someone who will use them, or simply toss them.  Unless we are making the trip anyway, those businesses across town (20 minute drive) don't get used.

I've been part of Mother's Day flower sales (geraniums) and sold by the semi-trailer full in the rural areas, but with the professional landscapers of the urban areas, they don't do as well.

It just boils down to whatever works for your situation, go for it!  I don't think that mandatory fundraisers are a one-size-fits-all solution for all troops.

We've noticed in our area the success of fund-raising (off topic from the OP) depends on what others are doing. Since we live in an area saturated with packs, crews and troops (in a 20sq mi area there are over 110 packs, troops or crews) units need to be savvy on how to raise money.

GS has their cookies. Cubs do popcorn. No way a 14 year old freshman is going to out-sell a Tiger Cub in uniform. Same with camp cards. Little Cubs hit you up coming outside the supermarket and you are going to buy from him, not my guys. Most troops sell mulch or something along those lines. Our niche is flower flats in the spring. $20 for the flat and the boys walk with $8. Nice ROI. Did xmas greens this year since no one in our area of town does that....filled a void.

I would love to live in an area where we had more latitude and less competition. Where I am there are just too many units hitting you up for stuff nearly every month. Saturated.

<<No way a 14 year old freshman is going to out-sell a Tiger Cub in uniform. >> 

Maybe buyers are put off by your appearance,  judging from your picture!

Again with the picture. Some of you guys need to get out more.

Krampus, you've got your work cut out for you...with trends these days, your frightful visage might result in more popcorn sales!

I'm just waiting for someone to take issue with @@JoeBob and his picture. I mean, shades and a cowboy hat? C'mon, what's not to hate there. ;)

@@SeattlePioneer, check out the video here and groove on some cultural enlightenment. ;)

• Upvote 2

I'm just waiting for someone to take issue with @@JoeBob and his picture. I mean, shades and a cowboy hat? C'mon, what's not to hate there. ;)

@@SeattlePioneer, check out the video here and groove on some cultural enlightenment. ;)

Two thoughts went through my head when viewing the video....

1) Why is it our kids are too scared to sit on Santa's lap?  We must be teaching our kids to be whooses.

2) Maybe it would be more polically correct to dump OA Indian culture and go with these guys..... 

:)

• Upvote 1

Brain drizzle:  Krampus and Joe Bob visit wayward scouters, like those guys in Renax's old troop and certain professional staffers.    You set 'em straight and as well as scare the daylights out of them. :)