Friendly Reminder, New Service Hour Requirements as of 2016

18 hours is great than the current 11 hours, but not by much.

One would think BSA would require a bit more for ranks. You need 18 for ranks now, 8 for CCC, x amount for your conservation project for camping and I think that is it, no?

I thought there was going to be a requirement that half of the service hours were related to conservation.  That is only in the Life rank now.  Early drafts had it throughout.  I wonder what happened to that?

Edited by dfolson

Even though we are in a somewhat rural region of the country, finding enough conservation project is a bit dicy.  Even most Eagle Projects are not conservation projects.  It should get interesting.

Schools, parks, camp grounds all have conservation projects in our area. Many times the owners don't even know they need the work done or don't think of them as conservation projects. We help the PLC and scouts look and identify such projects.

Like all of these requirements, the interpretations will always run rampant.  After all, roadside cleanup is a conservation project around here.  One can always find a stretch of road that has trash on it.