Eagle BOR questions

The post from John in KC is news to me ... is that a change?  I think in the past, the Eagle candidate could request a member of the community (teacher, Pastor, etc) to participate.

As I recall, it came out in 2013 or 14.  It is a fairly recent change.

As I said right underneath it, I disagree with it, but I am not on the National Advancement Committee.

WRT to how Council Advancement Committees decide to do EBORs, they can...

Hold all EBORs at the Council level.

Hold all EBORs at the District level.

Hold all EBORs at the Unit level, with a District Advancement Committee trained Eagle BOR guest rep present.  (He's the QC on the process).

In my Council, the Advancement Committee has authorized Districts to use either one of the latter two methods ... but only one.  My District, before it split (again) used unit boards with guests.  The neighboring district used central district boards.

You are the SM, so the Scout's preparation for rank advancement falls to you, as does everything up to the BOR..

This scout has been with the troop since before my son joined.  I have been SM for 2 years and he "came back" to troop meetings maybe a year ago.  All other ranks were covered by the previous 2 SMs.

EBORs are handled by the advancement chair and, in most troops I know, an "Eagle Coordinator" or advisor of some kind. Most units I know have parents or committee members sitting in on BORs. Same for EBORs but with the addition of the district rep.

This is almost exactly the case.  The Eagle Coordinator and Advancement Chair set up the BOR and invite members of the committee.  The District Eagle Rep runs the BOR.  The difference is that the scout requests one community member for the board.  I sit in and am quiet.  The parents are outside.

SMs can sit in on BORs if allowed, but we usually don't say a thing. Parents are not allowed. 

We have ASMs as part of the EBOR but never SMs

This scout has been with the troop since before my son joined.  I have been SM for 2 years and he "came back" to troop meetings maybe a year ago.  All other ranks were covered by the previous 2 SMs.

I was in a similar situation when I took over. We have a few inactive guys who I had never seen come for their Life or EBORs. I had been in the troop nearly 18 months and they wanted me to give them their SMC. I asked the previous SM (still an ASM at the time) to run the SMC. They knew the kid, I didn't know them nor had I seen them before. I figured the kid would get more out of the SMC with someone he'd at least seen before.

We have ASMs as part of the EBOR but never SMs

None of our Scoutmasters (SM or ASM) sit in on BORs of any kind. As the GTA says, the SM and ASMs can sit in on an BOR (unless they are the parent of the Scout), but they cannot be "on the board".

I assume that this means that the SM and ASMs are supposed to precluded from the EBOR.  That would be a change in 100% of the EBOR that I have been in.

How about Committee Members?

Also, who is supposed to make sure that this is adhered to?  The District Eagle Representative (who sets up the board)?  We have 2 of them and they both apparently do not follow this rule.

SMs and ASMs are not allowed to be part of ANY BOR, Eagle down to Tenderfoot.  That's in GTA, and has been in effect as long as I've been an adult Boy Scout leader (almost 6 years).  SMs (and ASMs) can be present, but just as observers and moral support. 

Troop Committee Members are the ideal members of the EBOR outside of the District reps.

Our District started out doing the EBORs at Troop level (each Troop set it up), but they have changed it to the District level to centralize it. 

Edited by perdidochas