Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition

Hi folks,

I run a(n unofficial) competition to find the best ten pin bowlers in scouting! It's for any section, from any country. The basic premise is, you enter, go bowling with your cubs or scout or whatever, and enter your scores on the website. Then when the competition ends, we add up all the scores, and see who has won! The competition is run by age group/section, so there's a separate competition for cubs, scouts, and adults can join in too!

Previous years we've had entries from all over the world, including Australia, Austria, Canada, Slovenia, Spain, Germany, and the UK. It would be good to add the USA to the mix.  :D

There's fun/blanket badges available if you want. There's a small fee to enter too - $8 for as many teams as you want for your section/group.

More details on our website http://www.jambowlree.org

Or that facebook https://www.facebook.com/Jambowlree/

Or follow us on twitter @jambowlree

Yours in Scouting,

Ian

It's good to see this up an running again.

So, from last year's Jambowlree. How much of the proceeds went to your scouting program? Any idea how many scouts were supported as a result?

I ask for a several reasons:

• First, you might attract a few more teams if they knew how much of their $8 went to scouting.
  • Second, someone else might want to try this with their favorite sport, and the financials may be a deciding factor.
  • Thirdly, fundraising from scouting activities on this side of the pond draws the attention of our councils, and where we are told the checks should go can get "interesting."

I had a long post the other day, but lost it in the troubles, so, in short, I volunteer, so all the money less costs go to my explorer group. Costs are web hosting, and for those that buy badges, postage and packing, I charge zero for my time.

It's probably benefitted around 200 people since it started, from the website...

We've used the money raised so far to support International trips to Portugal, and for some Portuguese Explorers to visit us, to help our Farnham Explorers who have been selected for the World Scout Jamboree, and as a hardship fund, as well as general unit activities.

• Thirdly, fundraising from scouting activities on this side of the pond draws the attention of our councils, and where we are told the checks should go can get "interesting."

​

Really? Paying to take part in an event would draw attention? Tell me more...

​

Really? Paying to take part in an event would draw attention? Tell me more...

I'll let folks who've experienced this first-hand share links to details. In general ...

• First of all, there's paperwork (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34427.pdf).
  • Councils take interest in successful events design for participants from outside the units' community.
  • They "offer" to supply a professional for your event. (Sometime this is actually quite good. Other times, meh.)
  • They professional will strongly suggest a portion of the proceeds to go back to council.
  • Therefore, he/she will expect expect you to raise the fee sufficiently to meet that earnings target.

I'll let folks who've experienced this first-hand share links to details. In general ...

• First of all, there's paperwork (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34427.pdf).
  • Councils take interest in successful events design for participants from outside the units' community.
  • They "offer" to supply a professional for your event. (Sometime this is actually quite good. Other times, meh.)
  • They professional will strongly suggest a portion of the proceeds to go back to council.
  • Therefore, he/she will expect expect you to raise the fee sufficiently to meet that earnings target.

Blimey! Interesting stuff! I'd still argue you, as a participant, is only taking part and paying an entry fee. It's me over in the UK that's doing fundraising. Still, if they want to pay for me to come and meet a "professional", I'm sure I could pop over, business class of course!

In other news, we went bowling last night, 46 of us, had a great time!  :D Not sure we'll be trouble the top of the leaderboard, but hey, it's not what it's about.

Ian

• Upvote 1

OH. No! Our councils wouldn't notice us taking part in your event.

If we were to host such an event, we might expect a knock at our door.

It would be, for example, your district or county asking for a piece of your pie!

Edited by qwazse

OH. No! Our councils wouldn't notice us taking part in your event.

If we were to host such an event, we might expect a knock at our door.

It would be, for example, your district or county asking for a piece of your pie!

My local district/county could try! I'm always open to a full and frank conversation  ;)