Girls Just Wanna Be Cub Scouts

I'm guessing that the pooh-bahs at the BSA silently gave thanks to the Girl Scouts for giving them an excuse to drop the energy bar idea - I mean really, who is going to buy fundraising Energy Bars.  What they should have done is Boy Scout M&M's.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would love to see BSA open to girls at all levels.  I never realized until I attended the world jamboree, that the USA is like the only country where the scouting programs are separate.   I was in

I watched the video, and I read the article, and I read the other article that TwoCub posted in the thread in Open Discussion (and qwazse just posted here), and these girls don't necessarily seem "lib

For me this discussion is quite interesting as I have a Venturing crew that is half male and half female and we have a terrific program. We have invited girl scout troops and boy scout troops to join

I'm guessing that the pooh-bahs at the BSA silently gave thanks to the Girl Scouts for giving them an excuse to drop the energy bar idea - I mean really, who is going to buy fundraising Energy Bars.  What they should have done is Boy Scout M&M's.

Actually I don't beleive it would have been a fundraising item. The ones I saw, and ate ;) , were from a national scout shop. I was helping move them to the new location, and the manager gave me a bunch of them as thanks.  THEY WERE AWESOME!  I asked why they didn't sell them, and they said the GSUSA threatened a lawsuit.

I asked why they didn't sell them, and they said the GSUSA threatened a lawsuit.

As always, thanks for the insights, Eagle.

This GSA threat of legal action to protect The Cookie Syndicate...could this dynamic also be the real reason why the BSA has  not allowed girls to join?  

• Upvote 1

Maybe.  We would have to see.  I was a teenage Explorer when the  program opened up to teenage girls.  I have a vivid memory of the types of girls that immediately signed up. They weren't the demure type. I am betting that the girls and their parents that get involved in the gritty BSA activities are not going to be interested in any kind of highly conservative CO dictating values.

I'm basing my prediction on an observation of the COs in our area that field coed crews. Western PA's conservative women are hardly demure. Having sent a daughter to school in the mid southwest, I understand that isn't the case everywhere,

Why shouldn't we let in girls? We cannot discriminate based on any other reason. Why discriminate based on sex?

Because we have a BOY Scout program and a GIRL scout program.  :)  If the girls don' tlike their program, fix it, don't go messing with the programs of others.  Next time one confronts a male in the female restroom or vice versa, you'll understand.  An intolerant minority is progressively promoting their agenda against a former tolerant majority.  As that majority becomes more intolerant society will further polarize until it collapses.

Why shouldn't we just let them in?  It will appease nothing and further antagonize the agreements we have with other organizations to stay out of their concerns.  As with any other political agenda decision, it just depends on which group you're going to tick off on any given day.  To disregard the BSA/GSUSA agreement is the first step in removing a couple of Scout Laws from the books.  By the time it's finished, about the only Law that is left will be a Scout is Clean, well, maybe not his hands, but the rest maybe.

While these comments may not reflect my beliefs, they still remain my observations.

Because we have a BOY Scout program and a GIRL scout program.  :)  If the girls don' tlike their program, fix it, don't go messing with the programs of others.  Next time one confronts a male in the female restroom or vice versa, you'll understand.  An intolerant minority is progressively promoting their agenda against a former tolerant majority.  As that majority becomes more intolerant society will further polarize until it collapses.

Why shouldn't we just let them in?  It will appease nothing and further antagonize the agreements we have with other organizations to stay out of their concerns.  As with any other political agenda decision, it just depends on which group you're going to tick off on any given day.  To disregard the BSA/GSUSA agreement is the first step in removing a couple of Scout Laws from the books.  By the time it's finished, about the only Law that is left will be a Scout is Clean, well, maybe not his hands, but the rest maybe.

While these comments may not reflect my beliefs, they still remain my observations.

Devil's Advocate here, but we had rules of membership before. They were tossed away because we've "progressed" as a society as to not discriminate on any basis....supposedly. So how can the organization justify discriminating against girls when: 1) They let in women, 2) they have girls in crews now, and 3) we are supposed to be eliminating barriers.

Slippery slope the BSA has created.

• Upvote 1

Devil's Advocate here, but we had rules of membership before. They were tossed away because we've "progressed" as a society as to not discriminate on any basis....supposedly. So how can the organization justify discriminating against girls when: 1) They let in women, 2) they have girls in crews now, and 3) we are supposed to be eliminating barriers.

Slippery slope the BSA has created.

No argument here, they've been on the slippery slope for a long time, it's just that now they're beginning to see what they should have seen a long time ago, like say, 30 years ago????  No need for a Devil's Advocate here, the Devil's in the detail that they sold to him (along with their soul) many years ago.  I personally think it more of a "digression" rather than a "progression."  Not many of us have had the luxury of eye-witness observing the changes over the past 50+ years.  Today's BSA is nothing more than a mere shadow of what it was "back in the day".

• Upvote 1

I imagine a similar discussion was held back in the 50s when they first proposed allowing women to become leaders other than Den Mothers.  Back then, the arguments were obvious, too.  Now, we don't give it a second thought when we see female Cubmasters, Scoutmasters and Vigil Arrow"men".  Just like in the rest of the civilized world, no one gives it a second thought to see co-ed "Scouts" at all age groups.  Do they still have a viable Girl Guides program?  Wonder what the differences are?

Do they still have a viable Girl Guides program?  Wonder what the differences are?

In the UK we do. In fact Girl Guiding UK has more members than The Scout Association. My group has girl guides using our building on a Friday night.

There is considerable over lap between the two programs although scouting seems to have more emphasis on outdoors than guiding does. That said it does very much depend on which group you go to. I've encountered guides that spent huge amounts of time rock climbing but they are in the minority.

Among the reasons I've heard why BSA continues to exclude girls is that it's a way of preserving and protecting the Girl Scout franchise.  IF BSA allowed girls in,  Girl Scouts would collapse.  It's a weak sister compared with BSA.

That sounds plausible as one reason. 

<<Why shouldn't we let in girls? We cannot discriminate based on any other reason. Why discriminate based on sex>> 

Remember that White woman who was "passing" for African American as an NAACP leader?  Did you notice how fast they tied a racial can to her and forced her out?  And of course our liberal friends want to engage in race based hiring for government employment,  government contracting and college admissions.

They aren't opposed to race and sex discrimination,  they just want to control the agenda of WHO is being discriminated against.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When I first read your comment about rules of membership that were "tossed away", I thought you were talking about the change in policy regarding gay people. But when I got to the last sentence of what I quoted, now I'm not sure if the "rule" you are talking about is that one, or the change to allow female leaders and Venturers, or both. Can you clarify that?

When I first read your comment about rules of membership that were "tossed away", I thought you were talking about the change in policy regarding gay people. But when I got to the last sentence of what I quoted, now I'm not sure if the "rule" you are talking about is that one, or the change to allow female leaders and Venturers, or both. Can you clarify that?

All changes to membership policy.

Okay, a long post for my introductory contribution.  I notice these attacks are one-way only:  against anything for men and boys, Christian, traditional, or reverent.  I've been an activist my entire adult life beginning as an undergraduate at Penn State.   You never, ever, ever see the reverse.  Normal poeple have no disire to force themselves on another and can't imagine it.  It is the stock in trade of the so-called liberal.  Allow me to elaborate.

There is something hateful and arrogant about the "block busters" who appoint themselves the mission of "breaking barriers" and other sillily named excuses to meddle where they are not wanted or needed, for that matter.

One example comes from my Rotary Club days in the mid 80s.  Some "gal" blew in one day for lunch and announced to no one in particular that she was here to grace us with her female presence, as Rotary was simply too patriarchical/misogynistic/whatever/blah-blah-blah.  This, she intoned, was MOST IMPORTANT.  Further, she was experienced, having been the local block buster for a neighboring city's Kiwanis.

Sadly for our smasher of glass walls, we already had a woman Rotarian, the wife of a long-time member who always accompanied her husband as a guest.

We never saw this dedicated Rotarian candidate again.  There was simply no thrill to joining our little band of businessmen and helping out.  No, not so sexy as making the headlines or feeling all holier-than-thou as Special Snowflakes are wont to feel.

These girls are a different case.  They are literally blowing with the wind, doing whatever their puppet-masters suggest.  Tools, in other words.

That is a travesty.

Girls need a space of their own just as much as boys need a space of their own.  The idea of segregated sexes is ancient, wise and fruitful.  It allows maximum development without the overwhelming influence of hormones.

Frankly, it is a measure of success of the deconstruction of normal human development as devised and implemented by really wacko radicals in the 1950s-on.  It boggles my mind, the present meek acceptance of unsexed males dominated in all dimensions of life by aggressive females. 

Unfortunately, this training was accomplished at a young age and is unlikely to be undone absent devastating tragedy.  As it is, the evidence is quite clear that our youth are so screwed up they no longer have the urge to reproduce.  Familiarity breeds contempt, not children.  And the motivation of those attacking the few remaining vestiges of a great civilization is malevolent, not progressive, not humane and certainly not in the best interests of any involved.

Proof of the pudding:  the late Episcopal church went down this road decades ago, mocking its membership when they objected and driving them away by the millions.

There were more funeral conducted by Epsicopalian priests last year than baptisms.  They haven't conducted enough marriages to matter, even pretending homosexual marriage in the count.

BSA must resist these cheap shots by opportunists whose only interest is to destroy.  BSA people need to discover their backbones and stop using flimsy exuses, such as "increased membership" to slink away from their duty to defend an institution weary from relentless human wave attacks.

Seriously, rethink what you're accepting.  Think big picture.  Think about your boy's manhood.  Think about how fragile the male ego and psyche are in youth.  Consider your own experience compared to historical figures such as Baden-Powell, let alone the American founding fathers such as my own ancestors.

Despite their progressive parents' devious scheming, those girls may benefit from this travesty if they are influenced by men and young men of character, a foil and counterpoint, a living example of everything missing from the culture that wants them as imitation boys.  Of course, this is to the detriment of the boys themselves, who will pay a great price in missed opportunities: "You can't recognize bitter if you've never tasted sweet."  Those Scouters who came of age in the 80s and 90s literally have no idea what life was like before Second Wave Feminism and its devastation.  Pity.

I agree with Krampus. It seems hypocritical for BSA to allow females into every part of the organization except cub and boy scouts.

Apologies to SeattlePioneer...this infernal touchscreen 'took' an inadvertent brush by my hand as a negative reputation and I can't figure out how to clear it.