Well, as pointed out in the article, female-youth-persons have been trying to join Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts for 40 years. It's not a new thing.

What is perhaps new is that in this case, some district or council person allowed the Unicorn Patrol to compete in a Camporee, where they won second place. (Leading to complaints that they had "invaded" events. Reminds me of the old Capital One commercials with the invading Visigothic hordes, except in this case it would be 10 and 13-year-old girls asking "What's in your wallet.")

Nothing stops them from doing similar activities as Girl Scouts except a lack of institutional support. I'm ok with girls in the BSA as long as units have the choice. I'll always think there's benefit to boys and girls only units. Also, if we start taking girls, we should drop the word Boy from our name.....

I'm just tired of the constant turmoil.

Yeah I get that but I think part of why we are getting this is that the people that actually run the program, the volunteers (well a lot of them anyway), have a vastly different idea of what Boy Scouts should be/represent and are pretty routinely doing their own thing, for good and ill. Then all this stuff gets to National and they have to do "something" about it so girls that have been Boy Scouts in action get told no, gay scouts/scouters that were known in their Troop get kicked out etc

Honestly I think the only real way to stop this piece meal, constant turmoil is to turn all membership decisions over to the CO's.

• Upvote 1

I really don't see the big deal. The BSA already allows girls to join everything but Boy Scouts so they've really sort of undercut themselves on the argument.

Well, everything but the Boy Scouts AND the Cub Scouts - the two largest programs in numbers of members. So a large majority of BSA participants are in programs in which youth membership is limited to boys.

Well, everything but the Boy Scouts AND the Cub Scouts - the two largest programs in numbers of members. So a large majority of BSA participants are in programs in which youth membership is limited to boy.

That doesn't matter they have already allowed girls in programs that are  Boy Scouting. Venturing is Boy Scouting, if you look for info on it is on the BSA web site, just like Learning for life, you are allowed to advance in Boy Scouting as just a Ventureer, the rule books for Boy Scouting include the special rules for Venturing and so on. They can keep saying it's different but that isn't how they treat it

I am unsure about allow girls in the Boy Scouting (I mean I'm ok with it except when I'm not) but I don't know how they've avoided it this long considering the precedent they have already set. 

I really don't see the big deal. The BSA already allows girls to join everything but Boy Scouts so they've really sort of undercut themselves on the argument.

Kinda. Girls can't officially be Cub  Scouts, but they can camp and do the activities with their siblings.  Cub Scouts is family camping, and there was a VERY big bruhaha when the planners for one major event didn't take into account of the family camping fact of Cub Scouts, and didn't anticipate the sisters who accompanied their brothers to the event.

Kinda. Girls can't officially be Cub  Scouts, but they can camp and do the activities with their siblings.  Cub Scouts is family camping, and there was a VERY big bruhaha when the planners for one major event didn't take into account of the family camping fact of Cub Scouts, and didn't anticipate the sisters who accompanied their brothers to the event.

They can't sign the form or get rank they also don't have to pay as much a district/council events but they are allowed, even encouraged, to do everything else the Cub Scout does. So really how are girls not already doing cub scouting?

I understand that they officially aren't in cubs.

I don't see this as churn, In my experience as long as the program doesn't change to accomadate girls specifically then we should allow them to join.  I have a few girls at cub level that are more into scouting than their brothers.  Girls in Venture Crews seem to work out quite well.

18 months max before membership is changed to allow girls.  The way I figure it Gates will stay in the Presidency through the next National Meeting.  He'll take the heat if there is a membership hit for the most recent change.  Randall will take the helm and publicly hold tight for a year while working with the Board and LDS church behind the scenes.  At the National Meeting in 2017 he'll announce local option for allowing girls to be members of Cubs and Boy Scouts effective September 1, 2017 or January 1, 2018.  He'll point to flagging membership numbers and talk about more liberal councils on the coasts already registering girls in some round-about fashion being the driving factors.  More importantly, building in the year delay won't mess with planning for the 2017 National Jamboree significantly, while positioning the organization to be fully co-ed in time for the World Jamboree in 2019.  Is that too cynical?   :)