I too was much more productive!.... but I did check in most days just to see.

In the meantime, I spent a lot more time over at scoutmastercg.com listening to podcasts, getting more up to speed on how troops should run for my son's transition to Boy Scouts in January.  Read Clarke Green's book, "So Far, So Good!", and I'm most of the way through BP's "Aides To Scoutmastership".  Both good reads, IMO..... even for those of you that are already working a boy lead patrol method troop, I'd imagine you'd pick up at least a nugget or two if you haven't read either of these.

Also in the interim, I took my son to visit a couple troops.  The one not at our pack's CO didn't do much in the way of making My son and the other WEBELOS scout feel welcome.  They tried a little, but the strange environment and not knowing anybody really closed the boys down.  They were trying boy lead, but it seemed like a lot of adult involvement.  My son felt much more welcome and comfortable at our CO's troop.  I'm not sure what if any involvement I will have as a Scouter, since they seem to already have a pretty full adult roster.  I hope to help if and where I can though.  We'll see....

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure what if any involvement I will have as a Scouter, since they seem to already have a pretty full adult roster.  I hope to help if and where I can though.  We'll see....

I'd ask what they need. On the outside it can look like everything is run well and they don't need help. The reality typically is that the unit can use you somewhere, be it as an MBC, TC member, ASM or just an active registered parent.

My unit actively solicits parents to get involved from the get go. We have some working with the boys to run service projects, hold MB classes or leverage adult interests that might converge with Scout interests. Just last weekend one quite, new dad who did know much about Scouts stepped up and ran an MC class in automotive maintenance. It was the best class I had seen in a long time. Very organized and the kids (all ages) LOVED it!!!

Help. Don't assume all is well. ;)

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 1

I too was much more productive!.... but I did check in most days just to see.

In the meantime, I spent a lot more time over at scoutmastercg.com listening to podcasts, getting more up to speed on how troops should run for my son's transition to Boy Scouts in January.  Read Clarke Green's book, "So Far, So Good!", and I'm most of the way through BP's "Aides To Scoutmastership".  Both good reads, IMO..... even for those of you that are already working a boy lead patrol method troop, I'd imagine you'd pick up at least a nugget or two if you haven't read either of these.

Also in the interim, I took my son to visit a couple troops.  The one not at our pack's CO didn't do much in the way of making My son and the other WEBELOS scout feel welcome.  They tried a little, but the strange environment and not knowing anybody really closed the boys down.  They were trying boy lead, but it seemed like a lot of adult involvement.  My son felt much more welcome and comfortable at our CO's troop.  I'm not sure what if any involvement I will have as a Scouter, since they seem to already have a pretty full adult roster.  I hope to help if and where I can though.  We'll see....

The adults usually take a bit longer to warm up.  Also, you never know if some of the adults are ready to step down.