It is all worth it even though it is tough at times

I was feeling beaten up and thinking I was not really making a difference this weekend.  We were on a camp out and one of the parents yelled at me because of and injury we had at the campsite while I was not there.  Not sure how I was going to be able to stop it when I as attending a campfire but I was supposed to. I am going to give him a leader application at the next meeting.  Basically after that I was starting to feel that cubmaster/den leader just might not be worth it. Then I get and email from one of my webelos mothers asking me if I can come to grandparents day at her sons school his grandparents live far away and he would love for me at attend so as I whip the tear from eye and respond with a "YES" I know I am at least making a difference in this one boys life.

So my advice is when the going gets tough just remember the looks on the kids faces when you see them at the store or some other non scouting event and that they look up to you and it is all worth it

• Upvote 4

Little victories....  You just got to do it for the kids that need it and appreciate it.  Unfortunately, no good deed goes unpunished.  I would talk to the parent privately and tell them that you love their passion for camping and the pack really needs passionate people planning the campout. Tell them when the next BALOO training is and sign them up.

Tell them the boys in the pack really need your leadership, maybe they will realize it is for all the boys not just their own.

Thanks for everything YOU are doing for the BOYS!  Just in case you don't hear that from your parents. 

But does one want that type of personality hanging around in an official capacity?

I suspect it's more a move to silence the guy and less a real request for help.  If I was a betting man, this will play out with the guy declining the request to volunteer and he'll then lose all rights to complain in the future.

I suspect it's more a move to silence the guy and less a real request for help.  If I was a betting man, this will play out with the guy declining the request to volunteer and he'll then lose all rights to complain in the future.

Sorry, but that's not how the game is played.  Snipers are never on the front lines where all the work is being done.  It would take all the fun out of it and the whiny parent would then be held accountable for their actions.  That ain't ever gonna happen.

Being an adult leader is a thankless job... until someone says thank-you.  

I've saved a couple of thank-you notes from scouts and a bunch of e-mails from parents.  

Last weekend I saw the current Cubmaster from the pack and he said, "I hear the Troop's outdoor program is kicking butt."  

Occasionally, I must be doing something right.