Define Patrol Method

In your own words, what is the Patrol Method?

I'm guessing it's different things to different people. 

I'm involved in the District SM Specific training.  One of the sections is the Aims & Methods of Scouting.  I want to hear from y'all what you think the Patrol Method is.

• Upvote 1

Small groups of 6-10 Scouts that get together ON THEIR OWN, select their own patrol leader, and work together as a team. They work, and play, together; help each other out, encourage and teach each other. They can do their own day activities on their own.

• Upvote 1

For me it is 6-8 boys in a group led by 2 people that is capable of functioning as a single unit.

Young leaders can handle 6 other boys with the maturity and skill set they posses at that age.

The PL is the highest ranking officer in the troop unit. (not BSA acceptable, but I find it the easiest for the boys to understand)

Each patrol is totally autonomous from the troop, make their own decisions and controls their destiny in their scouting careers.

Every aspect of their functionality is within their control.  No outside intervention except in the issues of safety or health is allowed.

The patrol, as a whole, interacts with the troop through the PLC which is the gathering of PL's to exchange ideas and share information about each of the patrols intentions.  PLC collects information and devises efforts of the troop leadership corps of boy officers to support whatever it is the patrols may need.  This is under the direction of the ASPL.  The SPL focuses his attention on the specific support of the PL's and their functional effectiveness in their patrols.  For example, if a PL says they need 2 DO's for the upcoming outing, the ASPL passes that information on to the troop QM who handle that issue.  But if the PL says he has an issue of two of his members not getting along very well the SPL steps in to work with other PLs to see if there is a resolution to the problem by maybe transferring one of the boys to a different patrol.  ASPL is task management and the SPL is more personal relationship issues.

For me the troop could be liked to the Council/District format.  SM is the Council SE, the SPL is the District DE, the Troop officers function like the District committee, the PL's are the SM's and the members are the "troop".  The PLC is the RT.  That puts the functionality in adult terms that specifically emphasize the leadership roles of the boy-led aspect of the patrol-method.  It also emphasizes that aspects of one super patrol of older boys can't be dictating to the other patrols or vice versa.  No troop tells another troop what it can or cannot do.  No patrol can do it in my structure either.

The boys seemed to really enjoy that level of autonomy in my former troop and everyone seemed to be pleased with running their own shows as well.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

Adults let boys lead. Adults do stuff when asked to by the boys. Adults challenge boys to overcome problems rather than step in and rescue them (unless health or safety or well-being is at stake).

@@Krampus

Mr. Krampus, we want you to totally organize our next trip to Philmont.   :)  Yeah, right!  I'll get right on it!

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

Patrol Method: 

A group of friends. They elect a leader. Leader represents them to the PLC. A big aspect of the patrol method is that the Scouts make decisions and lead themselves. The Scoutmaster is a mentor, not a drill sergeant or  a sports team coach. He doesn't lead. 

• Upvote 1

Pretty close. I am dragging the crew leads to the info meeting for the 2016 trek. I am there as back up. ;)

In all my years as a SM, I've never had to "drag" anyone anywhere.  I usually am too busy trying to keep up with the boys instead.  If you leave them to their own devices, it can get pretty hectic on the adult level keeping up the necessary support for the different activities.  The boys don't need to make sure all the BSA policy BS is maintained, just the adults do.  Having 2 adults on every activity is not their problem, it's ours.  Thank you, very much, BSA.

In all my years as a SM, I've never had to "drag" anyone anywhere.  I usually am too busy trying to keep up with the boys instead.  If you leave them to their own devices, it can get pretty hectic on the adult level keeping up the necessary support for the different activities.  The boys don't need to make sure all the BSA policy BS is maintained, just the adults do.  Having 2 adults on every activity is not their problem, it's ours.  Thank you, very much, BSA.

Please stay on topic. 

Everyone has a different opinion what the Patrol Method is.  Let's listen to their opinions.  Without judgement.

The Patrol Method

Patrols are the building blocks of a Boy Scout troop. A patrol is a small group of boys who are similar in age, development, and interests. Working together as a team, patrol members share the responsibility for the patrol's success. They gain confidence by serving in positions of patrol leadership. All patrol members enjoy the friendship, sense of belonging, and achievements of the patrol and of each of its members

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/TheBuildingBlocksofScouting/patrol.aspx

There ya go.  Right from the horse's mouth.  Anything else is personal judgment.

A troop that's organized into patrols of about 8 boys, who elect their own PL.  The PLs comprise the PLC, led by the SPL.  The SM's main function is to train and mentor the SPL.  The SPL trains and mentors the PLs.  The PLC develops the annual plan and the SPL presents it to the Troop Committee for approval.  Upon approval, the PLC executes the plan.

• Upvote 2

You never overlapped with @@Kudu I took a paraphrase from his personal judgement:

- A patrol leader's primary responsibility is to qualify to take his boys hiking and camping.

- A patrol's job is to go hiking and camping as an independent unit led by their PL.

A bit paltry, but the main reason I like that two-liner is that it's directive and paints a crisp picture. In addition:

• I take Webster's definition of patrol and work with that a little. 
  • Sometimes, because a lot of my youth are of Judeo-Christian background, I throw in a metaphor like "spy out the land" (hearkening back to the patriarchs Joshua and Caleb).
  • For details, I send folks to the boy's handbook.
  • If everyone in the room has SM's handbooks, you can use those.
  • Upvote 1

In all my years as a SM, I've never had to "drag" anyone anywhere.  

Saturday AM early, they can't drive. Parents are too involved in their golf games or mommy clubs to take them. "Drag" is my phrase. They are going willingly but at that hour "drag" is an appropriate verb. ;)

• Upvote 1