Life Rank Insignia during Eagle COH

At the beginning of the ceremony the boy is Life scout.  Wears the life patch.  The Eagle patch is not used.  Instead the Eagle medal is pinned on the flap over the Life patch.  At least that's what I have observed in the ECOH's in our council.

• Upvote 1

The way I have seen it is usually as Stosh describes it, but not always. For whatever reasons there have been a few boys who already have the Eagle patch on their uniform at the time of the ECOH. The young man was an Eagle Scout as soon as their EBOR was completed, although you need that certificate from National before it's official. The ECOH is really a non-event as far as the actual advancement is concerned. It recognizes what has already taken place.

So to answer Jeff521's question, our standard (though not "uniform" procedure is the latter: Eagle medal on the flap over the Life patch. I have never heard of anyone removing the Life patch and just leaving a blank pocket for the ceremony.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1

@@NJCubScouter is correct that the Eagle rank is a done deal long before the ceremony, but the traditional illusion of it happening at the ECOH is still kinda nice to maintain.  Otherwise, just start out with the cake and Koolaid and avoid the pageantry altogether.  I vote for the pageantry.... :)

I find that the pageantry still goes just fine even if the illusion has been tarnished a little. Most of the scripts that have been used in our troop go through the drama of the M.C. asking the Scoutmaster whether the candidate has fulfilled all the requirements and is "recommended" for the rank of Eagle - when everybody knows that everything has already been approved. Or as someone once told me, a little extra razzle-dazzle never hurt anybody.

And I recall at least one instance in which a Scout was awarded both Eagle and a bronze palm at their ECOH. If you think about what that means, it also works against the illusion that the Scout is "becoming an Eagle Scout" at the ceremony itself. But I have never seen anyone who seemed to care.

Edited by NJCubScouter

I loaned my sewing kit on several occasions to scouts who wanted to wear their Eagle patch while some activity long before their court of honor.

(Note to self: need to restock white/silver thread.)

Otherwise, I would never have a scout remove his Life insignia. The silver birdie warrants an oval behind it if it's on a field uniform!

From the Guide to Advancement:

4.2.1.3 The Scout Is Reviewed
After he has completed all requirements for a rank, the Scout meets with a board of review. For Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, and Life ranks, and Eagle Palms, members of the unit committee conduct it. See “Particulars for Tenderfoot Through Life Ranks (or Palms),†8.0.2.0. The Eagle Scout board of review is held in accordance with National Council and local council procedures.

4.2.1.4 The Scout Is Recognized
When the board of review has approved his advancement, the Scout deserves recognition as soon as possible. This should be done at a ceremony at the next unit meeting. His achievement may be recognized again later, during a formal court of honor.

Edited by John-in-KC

It's not unusual for us to have a few months lag between getting the official paperwork back and when the ECOH is held.  The timing is generally left up to the scout and family, sometimes they're waiting for a buddy or two to finish so they can have the ECOH together, sometimes it's just a matter of convenience for the family.  If it's going to be a while I ask the scout if they want the patch before the ceremony.  Usually if they have reason to wear the uniform outside of troop activities they sew on the patch.  Most common occurrence for this is guys working staff at summer camp or heading off to a big adventure like Jambo or Philmont.

When the paperwork comes back from National, our Council gives the unit advancement chair a recognition kit.  In our Troop we always give the Scout the patch at the next Troop meeting once we have the kit. It is up to the Scout to decide if he wants to correctly update his uniform before the CoH.  We have also had Scouts choose to not have a separate Eagle CoH and just be part of the regular Troop CoH.

The way I have seen it is usually as Stosh describes it, but not always. For whatever reasons there have been a few boys who already have the Eagle patch on their uniform at the time of the ECOH. The young man was an Eagle Scout as soon as their EBOR was completed, although you need that certificate from National before it's official. The ECOH is really a non-event as far as the actual advancement is concerned. It recognizes what has already taken place.

So to answer Jeff521's question, our standard (though not "uniform" procedure is the latter: Eagle medal on the flap over the Life patch. I have never heard of anyone removing the Life patch and just leaving a blank pocket for the ceremony.

Whatever you do is fine. 

You've met one now, I removed my Life Patch after my EBOR, and before I had my Eagle ceremony I aged out and became an Adult Volunteer. Therefore, when I had my Eagle COH, I did not have a rank patch on and had a blank pocket.  :p