Scout Policy - Religious Worship Services

I am seeking some information on religious

worship services as part of district, council events.

When I had the opportunity to go to 1953 jamboree at Irvine Ranch we had a general protestant, roman catholic, jewish services etc.

I was looking at some suggested services and I noticed that some suggested services seem to all inclusive. To my way of thinking this waters down the worship.

I would like for there to be suggested general protestant services, roman catholic, jewish etc with more input by the those churchs sponsoring troops.

What do you think about this

The BSA recommends a "Scouts' Own" Service, which is a non-denominational service based on the values of the Scout Law. (copies are avilable through your local service center. It is still appropriate to provide individual services that are faith specific, but it is important, and courteous, to make sure that all faiths are served equally.

How about a service where everyone kneels down on a prayer rug facing Mecca, gets up does the sign of the cross, then all speak in tongues, witness a total immersion baptism, sacrafice a goat (or lamb depending on ones beliefs) and this is all done while wearing yarmulkes and when finished all stomp on a wine glass!

You can see how trying to make a service specific yet all inclusive is frought with problems. For those that feel non-demoninational service are watered down, get a life.

acco40,

Have you ever actually read a "scouts own" service? If so what specifically did you find at fault?

Have you ever managed a district or council wide event and tried to coordinate the logostics and resources of supplying regular worship services that met the needs of every religion represented by the membership in attendance?

What is your personal solution to supporting the ideal of "reverence" when dealing with a large group of mixed religious beliefs?

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I think the Scouts Own aspect is a bit more important than getting the details completely correct for one specific denomination. I'd look for some sincerity and a basic understanding, presented in an appropriate manner for the circumstances. Granted that you're working with a larger crowd but there's nothing wrong with going back to the basics. We should be able to worship together occasionally without making too big a deal of things...

Bob,

I think you misunderstood my post. I think a Scout's Own Service is a great idea. I was objecting to eagle54 contention that "some suggested services seem to all inclusive." His "remedy" was to make it more specific. I think that defeats the purpose; ergo my ill attempt at humor.

If an individual does not want to participate in a non-denominational service in the presence of individuals of many diverse faiths, I'd suggest that Scouting was not for them.

My "personal solution to supporting the ideal of "reverence" when dealing with a large group of mixed religious beliefs" would be to develop a service that would avoid symbolism (crosses, stars of David, etc.), specific references to religious persona (Jesus, Buddha, etc.) and would revere life, the great outdoors, mankind, fellowship, and other ideals embodied in the Scout Oath and Law. In fact, this is what I did when formulating a chapel service for my Wood Badge class.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Acco,

Eagle54 wasn't proposing that "non-denominational" services were somehow made more specific. I don't think that is possible, as your example indicates. He was referring to the common practice of having services conducted by and for members of the religions in question. As Bob states, one should try to represent all religions as possible and necessary. There is nothing wrong with Scouts' Own or similar services, but it doesn't meet the needs of every religious group. If numbers are significant, it is often worthwhile to let groups worship in the manner designated by their faith.

"For those that feel non-demoninational service are watered down, get a life."

Your feelings regarding the mental state of those who hold specific religious beliefs is obvious. Again, I would advise that you keep your antagonism towards those of faith to yourself. Indifferentism and agnosticism aren't the only faiths recognized by the BSA. You may feel that those with specific religious obligations need to "get a life," but they don't need you to enlighten them.

Eagle54,

I actually like the Scouter's Own Service. I'm probably prejudiced because my son is the chaplain's aide. But it does involve the entire troop in a religious service. If a troop or district tried to tailor individual services for all the various faiths at an event, my guess is it would be too cumbersome and would not get done.

However, as a Catholic, those services do NOT fulfill my Sunday obligation. So my son and I always attend Mass during or after weekend campouts. Usually we get back early enough and can attend an afternoon Mass. However, on longer trips where we would not get back until late Sunday, I always drive my son and any other scout that would like to attend to a local Catholic church on Saturday evening.

I am not sure what we do for a high adventure trip that covered a weekend. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.(This message has been edited by Glenn)

Did any one see Billy Graham at the service after 9-ll. He does any excellent job of explaining what being a Christian is. At the same time Billy Graham did not talk down other faiths. But he did not back out what being a follower of Christ is.z

There is a really that sometimes I is good to have standards i.e. the scout law and oath.

In scout talk when I became involved in Scouts in 1970's and camping was not a required merit badge for eagle.

Boys Scouts when it went back to those things that are distinctive to Scouting.

The same thing has be factored in when worship is considered at district, council level. Is the worship being something is like the eagle when camping was not really a part of earning your eagle.

Did any one see Billy Graham at the service after 9-ll. He does any excellent job of explaining what being a Christian is. At the same time Billy Graham did not talk down other faiths. But he did not back out what being a follower of Christ is.z

There is a really that sometimes I is good to have standards i.e. the scout law and oath.

In scout talk when I became involved in Scouts in 1970's and camping was not a required merit badge for eagle.

The same thing has be factored in when worship is considered at district, council level. Is the worship being something is like the eagle when camping was not really a part of earning your eagle.

Just little dip into semantics. Inter-faith is a more proper term when describing a worship service that includes Christian and non-Christian faith groups. The term non-denominational means not of one particular denomination, and denomination means one of the Christian groups. Also the use of the term now brings to mind a particular style of conservative Christian church.