I'm new here.  I was den leader for the years my son was a cub scout from Tiger to Webelos II; he crossed over earlier this year and is now a boy scout and having lots of fun with it!  I'm enjoying the new view, sideline view, watching his enjoyment as he gains confidence and independence by being in a boy-led troop that works really well.

For now I'm just a YPT scouter, available to help if asked or I see there is a need.  So far I've been on two camp outs, one with my son's patrol as one of the adults on-site for the camping weekend, the other the first troop camp out after my son crossed (I wanted to see how camping worked in boy scouts - it was well run, so I haven't felt like I needed to go camping since, other than when the patrol needed YPT adults for their patrol camp out).  I'm looking at various merit badges to see if any would be a good fit as a merit badge counselor and was asked to do the Troop Committee Challenge, so I'll get that done.,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If Scouting is important to YOU, as an adult (regardless of being your son's parent)  consider taking the training for ASM (two pieces, indoor and IOLS), besides the YPT.

With that, you will have the imprimatur to participate fully in all parts of Scouting.  Next, maybe Woodbadge, and then (perhaps)   serve as a Commissioner.    Your boy will be doing his thing with his gang (Patrol) and advancing as he will (I sense he will!). You, on the other hand , will be fully occupied and will be able to stay out of his way, but be able to support his (and the other Scouts!) efforts.

See you on the trail!