Cub Scout Program Run Amuck

There is a wealth of knowledge within the replies of this thread, lots to sift through but everyone knows your situation all too well.

I'll just add that you are right about its all about the boys and their families. It's a family program that should be fun and not cause any stress for you or your family.

Do what's best for you and all will follow suit. New families will take your lead.

Enjoying scouting!

Good Evening,

Thanks for all of the good ideas. Changing the pack from the den level up is a viable option. Most of the new scouts are either Wolves (my den) or Tigers (who are meeting with me until their leader gets up to speed) so we have some time before these scouts age out. 

I havent figured out how to quote other posts yet but in response to SeattlePioneer's comment we have no annual program. Our 1st pack meeting is always popcorn so we bumbled our way through some popcorn games. We currently have no CM, the PCC has wrangled the grandpa of one of the scouts in his den to be the CM but I get the impression that he only agreed because he was asked in front of the whole pack. The PCC is planning and running the pack meetings and 5 days before the second pack meeting he had not even thought about what to do.

I would have no problem filling the role of both DL and CM but egos are involved and since the current PCC is the Webelo I DL we will have him for another year. So for now, do what I can keep to the KISMF principal and everything else will work itself out.

Great advice so far.  My addition is to recommend a stealth revolution -- that is, making a series of small changes by dealing with people one-on-one.

Step one - focus on the dens (as others have suggested).  If you keep up the recruiting, by next year you will have three dens excited about the program you envision.  Those boys become your power base.

Step two - focus on the Pack program.  Befriend the new CM that was drafted.  Come to him with an idea for the next pack meeting and offer to run it.  Recruit others with a similar vision to do the same for later pack meetings.  It sounds like the Committee has an idea of themes, but you can make them interesting.  Nobody refuses someone who wants to do something as long as you make it an offer to help rather than to take over.  

Step three - plan for the future.  Find someone to take over your den.  Get to know the Chartered Organization representative.  Befriend the current Committee Chair.  Offer to move into the CM position at the end of the year or the CC position when the current one ages out.  Decide which one you want -- CM is in front of the scouts, CC is behind the scenes -- and recruit someone who thinks alike for the other position.  

Step four - All politics is personal.  Being helpful (as well as the other parts of the scout law) makes friends and allies.  Talking up what you would like to do with others gets them excited and likely to agree with changes you put forward later.  I have a ton of favors built up among the current cub leaders in my former pack as well as the SM and other ASMs in my Troop.  Never write someone off as being impossible -- keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Step five - Find a beverage you enjoy and treat yourself to it after every meeting.

<<. We currently have no CM, the PCC has wrangled the grandpa of one of the scouts in his den to be the CM but I get the impression that he only agreed because he was asked in front of the whole pack. The PCC is planning and running the pack meetings and 5 days before the second pack meeting he had not even thought about what to do.>>

Having quality pack meetings is important!  That means having FUN, exciting pack meetings.

What you seem to be describing are people who don't have a clue how to organize and conduct a pack meeting,  and aren't motivated to figure out how to do the job.

I'd start by working with the Cubmaster and/or Committee Chair on planning the next pack meeting,  with emphasis on having two or more fun activities including a game that involves some kind of competitions which boys will find exciting.  A simple example of that would be making and decorating paper airplanes,  followed by different competitions for distance, accuracy and so on in hitting various targets with their airplanes.  I like stickers  --- award each boy who hits a target or goes a minimum distance a sticker to put on their airplane.

Another would be to have dens make and decorate "chariots" out of cardboard boxes and a piece of rope,  and then have relay races with boys taking turns pulling the chariot around a race course and taking turns being in the chariot.  Award a big sticker each time a den wins a race that they can put on their chariot.

First of all, thanks to whomever moved this out of Issues and Politics. Now I can interact with the thread.

Welcome to the forums. I can sympathize a little bit with the first post. This pack had some problems (not as bad as the first post described) and it took a little while with 'turnover' of leaders (as others have pointed out) but we managed to get things into pretty good shape.

The fact that the program has changed shows that there is some flexibility and I see no reason to clamp down on the pack to make sure it's 'by the book'. If the boys are having a good time and the families see the value then you're doing something right.

I will 'second' the post by NJCubscouter and say that there is good advice given so far and from lots of different perspectives. Just weigh them in light of your own needs and 'Do Your Best'. The cubs are always a source of joy, so take some time to enjoy them.

• Upvote 1