I think Teflon on pots is a waste -- too easy to scratch but I think having a teflon frying pan is helpful (we have the 10 inch size):

Teflon for camping is a health hazard and should be avoided. Camping stoves tend to produce hot spots that push Teflon above the danger point. Though you can now get high-temp nonstick pans from some places, they tend to be expensive.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with @@Hedgehog about the patrol boxes.  To my eye they just perpetuate the "too much stuff" of plop camping like a bad habit.   How about this..... suggest that the patrols decide what they

@@joesport5   Okay, I'll play the Devil's Advocate here.    Why are YOU deciding what goes into the patrol's gear?  Shouldn't the boys in the patrols be doing that?  I would go along with @@Hedgehog

Way to go @@blw2 you now got me into trouble with @@joesport5     I guess I kinda got sidetracked with the original post and It's just me hearing the wrong things intended.  My apologies.  Maybe in

And at a relatively low heat, medium and less on a cook stove, can produce non-stick results with cast iron.  And if heated too much, unlike teflon, cast iron doesn't become toxic.  As a light weight alternative to cast iron, stamp steel fry pans work just as well and are treated exactly the same.  Medium might be too high a heat for the stamped steel.  Cast iron spreads the heat more uniformly than stamped steel.

And as an additional feature, one doesn't need specialty spatulas either.  Any will work on cast iron and stamped steel... scrape away, nothing will harm it.

Nobody speaking here:

I would avoid building Patrol Boxes.  First, because they are typically heavy.  Second because I believe in teaching the scouts to camp for life -- and nobody will build a patrol box to take their family camping.  ...

I have a camp-box specifically for family camping trips!

Technically, my wife's uncle built it, so he's the nobody. :p

• Upvote 1
qwazse, on 08 Oct 2015 - 12:33 AM, said:

Nobody speaking here:

Add another Nobody to the list.  I have a family camp cook box.  Plastic thing I bought at Costco/BJs/Sam's Club warehouse years ago.  Has divided sections, drawers, 4 metal plates, bowls, cups, and flatware.  Lid comes off, turns upside down to become a washing sink.  Lid creates area to store and carry a two burner camp stove.  Filled with all the various kitchen tools and supplies it is really, really heavy.  But, set it on the end of a picnic table, remove the lid, open the two sides with wings that fold out to form side tables and it is a joy to cook in, on, and around. 

I built a traditional wood style patrol box.  Thing of woodworking beauty.  Included a variety of neat tricks from the various plans floating around on the net.  Legs can slide into pockets and form carry poles.  Notches cut on the interior to carry a propane tank tree pole so can run multiple items from a single 20lb tank.  Pole with hook that attaches to side to hang lantern high above eyesight so not blinded.  Both sides fold down so two work surfaces.  Top and both work surfaces are covered with laminate so easy cleanup.  With two work surfaces, one side is prep, items placed on top and retrieved from other side for cooking.  Small holes around the edge of the work surfaces to allow installation of large S hooks so utensils can be hung for ready access or to air dry after cleaning.  Place bungee cord through a paper towel roll.  Place each end of bungee in small holes and hang paper towel roll underneath the work surface.  Hang grocery plastic bag from hooks for waste.  Laminated KP chart attached to side.  Fill in names with grease pencil or white board markers.

Gave the behemoth to my sister.  She uses it for family camping, girl scout troop camping, cub scout pack camping and now the 'adult patrol' of her son's troop uses it when camping.  She sets a 5 gallon water jug on the top on one side.  She mentioned that one night when it was back lit from the campfire, it looked a bit like a deer standing there with the water jug as its head and the lantern pole a bit like antlers.  It is large and heavy.  With the legs as carry poles, 4 younger scouts can lift and move it with relative ease. 

I can't believe that BSA has discontinuied the nesting Patrol Cook Set, that has been around forever.  The skillets weren't anything to write home about, but having the nesting pots was great.   My troop went inactive and after a few years the CO said they needed the space where all the gear was so i had to get rid of it, I made sure I kept the BSA Cook set that i had bought 30+ years ago for the leaders to use.

I can't believe that BSA has discontinuied the nesting Patrol Cook Set, that has been around forever.  The skillets weren't anything to write home about, but having the nesting pots was great.   My troop went inactive and after a few years the CO said they needed the space where all the gear was so i had to get rid of it, I made sure I kept the BSA Cook set that i had bought 30+ years ago for the leaders to use.

Unfortunately not everyone in the Supply Division has an actual Scouting or even camping background. So they do not know what they really need to keep and what they don't. Sad thing is at the annual planning conference in December, the PLC was talking about getting those for the patrols. BSA still sold them, and they were about $80 a set. I'm  hoping when they raise the money, we may be able to find some stragglers at council stores or at the nearby national scout shops. Sometimes you can get lucky and find discontinued merchandise. BUT I bet the patrol cook kit goes fast!

Edited by Eagle94-A1

The nesting patrol kit is great for storage. On a trip, taking the entire set is generally too much. The same can be said for the utensil set, and all the other things that collect in patrol boxes or tubs. The boxes, tubs and nesting sets are storage devices. On a trip the patrol lists what specific items are needed and the patrol QM then gets them from their patrol box. Perhaps a large pot, skillet, "coffee pot", large spoon and spatula. Prior to departure after PL inspects the packs, the QM and grubmaster divide up the patrol gear and food to their mates. The pots are used to hold the food so they end up not taking up extra space. The PL and APL make sure that the smallest scouts arent carrying too much. Patrol tents, tarps etc...are also broken down and distributed the same way. Once at camp, all the patrol gear/food is taken from the packs and re-assembled. Tentsites are chosen, approved by the PL as "safe". Patrol splits into different duties, tent setup, food prep, fire prep, water procurement. Half an hour later they are roasting marshmallows and sipping cocoa.

As to the OP, the best cookset for the patrol is based on what they want to be cooking and how. There are many nesting sets still available. Like others I recommend AGAINST teflon or other non-stick. Learn to use pots and pans properly to avoid sticking. Even a well seasoned cast iron skillet will stick if not used correctly. The correct pot, pan, etc... is the one that is best for that particular job.

Garage sales are a great way for scouts to find decent cookwear for cheap. A scout is thrifty.

I picked up a family cook set, nested pots, coffee pot, plates, fry pan, etc. at an antique store for $15  The only problem is it's for 6 people, not 8.  It works nicely for the adult patrol, but right now with only 2 adults, mess kits work just fine.

Way to go @@blw2 you now got me into trouble with @@joesport5   :)

I guess I kinda got sidetracked with the original post and It's just me hearing the wrong things intended.  My apologies.  Maybe in the future the 300' will encourage everyone to start saying, "the boys" and "the adults".  When I hear "We" coming from an adult it's kinda hard to distinguish what's really going on.  

Yeah, me too.  wrong interpretation based on the wording I suppose.

I'm on our CO's troop's email list and I get the same feeling from most all of the emails I get from them.

It's never "the boys decided" or "Joe the PL asked me to..."

or "please remind your son..."

when it sounds like it's coming from the adults and to the adults it might be misleading.

and as a leader and dad to 2nd year WEBELOS, I'm especially paying attention to this in trying to sense how well they are doing with boy led patrol method.....

I think my reaction is because I am sensitive to the attitude the wording implies.  When an adult uses the phrase, "The boys...." it does not evoke the same feeling as when the adult says, "We..." or "I..."   I is definitely a red flag, We can be interpreted either way but I would need to know the person better and how they were running their program. 

There are ways of expressing issues on a written only format that make a difference to the reader.  This is but one of them.

Another would be the more aggressive tone of the second person over the milder tone of the third person approach.  

2nd Person: If you run your program as boy-led, patrol-method, you will be more successful.  That is a lot more aggressive.

3rd Person. If one were to run their program as boy-led, patrol-method they would be more successful.  It takes a lot of the confrontational feeling out of the wording.

I also think a lot of people use certain wording because it indicates an accurate but subtle statement of how things really are for them.

I would love it if everyone on the forum were to brag about what their boys are doing instead of what they are doing.  :)

Each patrol has two kits:

1) A bear barrel with two pocket rockets and a water filtration kit. This is used for lightweight camping and backpacking.

2) A plastic action packer with a random assortment of pots, skillets, a two burner coleman stove, a propane lantern, and random utensils. This is used for base camp camping. We had patrol boxes, but they were swapped out for the action packers after awhile. Patrol QMs have periodic checks of the stoves (for safety mainly). We have enough random excess stuff as well to help out - families will dump old kitchen stuff on us sometimes, and we put it in a box for the patrols to raid as needed. I have also taken a load of boys to Goodwill to go shopping too - opened their eyes to thrifty shopping. Finally, our troop meets near a Goodwill drop off location, and sometimes a donor will come over to us with some stuff as well. Works out well for us.

Hedgehog I looked up those pots you suggested and they have some low ratings........do they hold up well to the abuse

We have something that looks very much like the first set I linked to.  They are beat up but still work for boiling water and we have no problem throwing them over a grate over a fire.  The others are what I"m looking at to get to replace the Adult Patrol's gear.  I haven't tested them but will probably get them at REI since you can return it within a year for any reason at all.

Teflon for camping is a health hazard and should be avoided. Camping stoves tend to produce hot spots that push Teflon above the danger point. Though you can now get high-temp nonstick pans from some places, they tend to be expensive.

I tossed three Teflon griddles that were chipping and flaking after my first campout with the troop.  Gave the boys a choice of replacing them with the same or getting cast iron griddles.  They went cast iron and never went back.  We still have the Teflon frying pans which they only use for eggs and bacon and don't get too hot.  I'm still lobbying to replace them with cast iron.

Nobody speaking here:

Open mouth, insert foot. :D