I think I am going to make me a family patrol box that will double as a adult patrol box, instead though my frying pans will be cast iron, a cast iron griddle, but buy these pots on Amazon (Open Country 2 qt, 4 qt, and 10 qt)  My family and I camp quite a bit. 

As far as the boys though, they will finish deciding on their gear this week coming up. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with @@Hedgehog about the patrol boxes.  To my eye they just perpetuate the "too much stuff" of plop camping like a bad habit.   How about this..... suggest that the patrols decide what they

@@joesport5   Okay, I'll play the Devil's Advocate here.    Why are YOU deciding what goes into the patrol's gear?  Shouldn't the boys in the patrols be doing that?  I would go along with @@Hedgehog

Way to go @@blw2 you now got me into trouble with @@joesport5     I guess I kinda got sidetracked with the original post and It's just me hearing the wrong things intended.  My apologies.  Maybe in

I think I am going to make me a family patrol box that will double as a adult patrol box, instead though my frying pans will be cast iron, a cast iron griddle, but buy these pots on Amazon (Open Country 2 qt, 4 qt, and 10 qt)  My family and I camp quite a bit. 

As far as the boys though, they will finish deciding on their gear this week coming up. 

These three pots plus a coffee/coco pot is a long way towards the Trail Chef Cook Kit and under $60.00.  

I think my reaction is because I am sensitive to the attitude the wording implies.  When an adult uses the phrase, "The boys...." it does not evoke the same feeling as when the adult says, "We..." or "I..."   I is definitely a red flag, We can be interpreted either way but I would need to know the person better and how they were running their program. 

There are ways of expressing issues on a written only format that make a difference to the reader.  This is but one of them.

Another would be the more aggressive tone of the second person over the milder tone of the third person approach.  

2nd Person: If you run your program as boy-led, patrol-method, you will be more successful.  That is a lot more aggressive.

3rd Person. If one were to run their program as boy-led, patrol-method they would be more successful.  It takes a lot of the confrontational feeling out of the wording.

I also think a lot of people use certain wording because it indicates an accurate but subtle statement of how things really are for them.

I would love it if everyone on the forum were to brag about what their boys are doing instead of what they are doing.   :)

to paraphrase Garrison Keillor, there's never an English major around when you need one!

to paraphrase Garrison Keillor, there's never an English major around when you need one!

:)  I'm not an English major, but I was a verbal communicator at one point of my career.  Written communication in today's world is a whole new experience for most people.

Take for example the brilliant and eloquent writings of the 18th and 19th centuries.  Ever wonder why?  Because they were writing to people they cared about and they were using a quill pen.  It is a slow and arduous effort to write, the pen had to be dipped every few letters.  During the time of re-inking the quill, people had to think carefully about each and every word.  Today, they flash out a keyboard message and with little or no thought and quickly click the send button.

:)  I'm not an English major, but I was a verbal communicator at one point of my career.  Written communication in today's world is a whole new experience for most people.

Take for example the brilliant and eloquent writings of the 18th and 19th centuries.  Ever wonder why?  Because they were writing to people they cared about and they were using a quill pen.  It is a slow and arduous effort to write, the pen had to be dipped every few letters.  During the time of re-inking the quill, people had to think carefully about each and every word.  Today, they flash out a keyboard message and with little or no thought and quickly click the send button.

wel.... it was that... plus they had nothing else to do  ;)

Get Cast Iron Skillets and teach the boys how to take care of them and you will never look at anything else again and the nice thing is if they mess them up by not following directions you can, with some effort, make them useable again.

While I agree with the usefulness of cast iron. (I type this while sitting in my room with 20+ CI skillets and griddles hanging on my wall). I encourage the boys to learn to use multiple types of cookwear. Cast iron has its place, but one won't venture more than a couple of miles from their car or portage much with them. With a variety of skills using a variety of cookwear, the boys can choose the appropriate cookwear and other tools for the trip. Choose tools for the adventure, dont let the tools limit ones choice for adventure.

The other thing about CI is the near endless entertainment value.....

There seems to be no end to the wives tales and various ideas about the rules and proper methods for CI use and cleaning.

While I agree with the usefulness of cast iron. (I type this while sitting in my room with 20+ CI skillets and griddles hanging on my wall). I encourage the boys to learn to use multiple types of cookwear. Cast iron has its place, but one won't venture more than a couple of miles from their car or portage much with them. With a variety of skills using a variety of cookwear, the boys can choose the appropriate cookwear and other tools for the trip. Choose tools for the adventure, dont let the tools limit ones choice for adventure.

That is what I keep telling my wife when I buy more gear... you need the appropriate gear for the adventure.   

The other thing about CI is the near endless entertainment value.....

There seems to be no end to the wives tales and various ideas about the rules and proper methods for CI use and cleaning.

And that scene in Harry Potter with Dobby and the cast iron skillet.

When I mention that, it takes a minute for the boys to remember.

:D

Now I'm hungry thinking about what we cooked in cast iron this weekend:  Eggs and Canadian bacon, italian sausages with sauteed onions,  Italian style short-ribs (in a Dutch Oven), apple pie (DO) and French Toast (Cast Iron Skillet) with sausages.

I'll have to ask my son about that Harry Potter reference.

I zoned out through the few of those movies I've seen...... and I never read the books.