So I finally got our boys to buy into the Patrol method but one thing we seem to keep doing is going to Troop cooking or more specifically all cooking in the same area. We are going to be building new Patrol Boxes (long overdue) and we need to buy some new cook wear. The stuff we have is very old and beat up so my question is what does everyone else use for their patrol cooking. We do require our scouts to bring their own mess kits, cups and utensils......what size pans and pots do you all have that nest together?

Edited by joesport5
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with @@Hedgehog about the patrol boxes.  To my eye they just perpetuate the "too much stuff" of plop camping like a bad habit.   How about this..... suggest that the patrols decide what they

@@joesport5   Okay, I'll play the Devil's Advocate here.    Why are YOU deciding what goes into the patrol's gear?  Shouldn't the boys in the patrols be doing that?  I would go along with @@Hedgehog

Way to go @@blw2 you now got me into trouble with @@joesport5     I guess I kinda got sidetracked with the original post and It's just me hearing the wrong things intended.  My apologies.  Maybe in

With my troop, we use second hand pots and pans that make storage "interesting." Only one patrol has nesting pots and pans, and that's because it's backpacking gear found in chuckbox at a garage sale.

How much are you looking to spend?

What type of camping do you do?

How good is your quartermaster? This may be a good t\thing for him to work on. I say that becasue my old troop needed new tents one time, and the QM spent about a month doing research, making calls, talking to friends, etc. He found the ideal tent and place to get it at the best price. Went up thru the chain of command, and when it got to the troop committee's treasurer, he decided to buy a different tent because it was on sale. 6 of the 8 tents broke on the first camp out, and the last 2 broke on the next.

Cook sets are the one item where we feel like the BSA brand nesting pots and pans are preferable.  The big advantage is they are sized for a patrol of 8 rather than a family of four.  TexasSport makes a similar set, but it's designed for four.

Cook sets are the one item where we feel like the BSA brand nesting pots and pans are preferable.  The big advantage is they are sized for a patrol of 8 rather than a family of four.  TexasSport makes a similar set, but it's designed for four.

BSA no longer sells them, at least according to scoutstuff.org . I really miss those kits as they were perfect for patrols.

I would avoid building Patrol Boxes.  First, because they are typically heavy.  Second because I believe in teaching the scouts to camp for life -- and nobody will build a patrol box to take their family camping.  Rather, they would stow their gear in something like this:  http://www.lowes.com/pd_44066-61896-44066___?productId=3551290&pl=1&Ntt=plastic+storage+totes

For pots, we have this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDXH7Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1FO1MKYKVPUM4&coliid=I2ZDVAR8XXF23S

but I haven't been able to find it available anywhere.  The next best options are:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UABDIC?colid=1FO1MKYKVPUM4&coliid=IY0P911KP2HKA&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BNFCK?colid=1FO1MKYKVPUM4&coliid=I37YESCPO9GBU9&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

I like the GSI large pot with the attached handle -- it makes it easier to carry a lot of water for cleaning.

I think Teflon on pots is a waste -- too easy to scratch but I think having a teflon frying pan is helpful (we have the 10 inch size):

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Bugaboo-8-Inch-Frypan/dp/B0018BK7T4/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1444221213&sr=1-4&keywords=gsi+bugaboo

We also have Lodge Cast Iron Griddles and Lodge 12 Inch Dutch Ovens for each patrol.  For the adults, I bring my 12 inch cast iron frying pan and we are thinking of getting some for the boys (they really like hot dogs done in the fry pan -- nothing better).

Edited by Hedgehog

This is the gear list for our Patrols:

Qty Item 1 8" GSI non-stick fry pan  2 Primus classic trail stove 1 2 qt aluminum non-stick pot 1 4 qt aluminum non-stick pot 1 water carrier

All of it comes from Amazon.  They then add utensils from either the local thrift shops or their families.

I agree with @@Hedgehog about the patrol boxes.  To my eye they just perpetuate the "too much stuff" of plop camping like a bad habit.

How about this..... suggest that the patrols decide what they want and need as far as cookware.  On patrol may lean more to one way, the other patrol something else.  leave it to them.

Just an idea.

• Upvote 1

@@joesport5

Okay, I'll play the Devil's Advocate here.  :)  Why are YOU deciding what goes into the patrol's gear?  Shouldn't the boys in the patrols be doing that?  I would go along with @@Hedgehog and have totes for storage and transport for plop camping, but a second tote for backpacking, i.e. single burner stoves, etc.  Let the boys figure out what they need to do what they want to do for camp cooking.  If they think they need a spatula, they fundraise the money and buy it.  SM doesn't need to be part of the discussion.  The SM isn't the one using the gear, his/her say-so is not necessary and will probably mean buying more than the boys will even use.  It they don't have a stir spoon, it's no one's fault but their own.  Let them figure it out, it's part of the patrol method.

• Upvote 1

@ Stosh and blw2 I don't know why you even commented, you two might want to read my original post instead of assuming anything. I never said I said I was deciding anything......feel free to come to a meeting and see boy led working. The boys made the decision but unlike you guys a good SM will do some research as we are suppose to advise and mentor.

Regardless of what gear ends up being purchased, I recommend color coding the gear.

Our troop has plastic bins for patrol boxes.  Each and every thing in the box either has a piece of colored electrical tape or a spray painted area.  Everything in box A is marked with Red,  everything in box B is marked Green, everything in box C is marked Yellow, etc.   At one time the boxes had Patrol names written on them.  But the patrol names changed too often to keep up with it.  As a patrol disbanded, aged out, patrols reformed, etc. the box was reassigned to the newest, latest patrol.  They get the "Color X" Box.  The troop has 8 patrol boxes each with its own color.

It was interesting to see at the end of every campout, every box was rainbow.  Patrols shared, borrowed, stole, put away in the wrong box.  Periodically, the troop QM would have a clean and sort work day.  All the gear was cleaned, sorted and put back in the proper color box.  I know, each patrol should have its own QM and the gear should be cleaned and maintained by the patrol QM. 

With all equipment color coded, scouts could easily retrieve borrowed equipment to make sure their patrol box stayed properly supplied.  If equipment was lost, misplaced, never returned, it was up to the patrol QM to arrange replacement.  Colored tape and paint were made available to label any new supplies.

So I finally got our boys to buy into the Patrol method but one thing we seem to keep doing is going to Troop cooking or more specifically all cooking in the same area. We are going to be building new Patrol Boxes (long overdue) and we need to buy some new cook wear. The stuff we have is very old and beat up so my question is what does everyone else use for their patrol cooking. We do require our scouts to bring their own mess kits, cups and utensils......what size pans and pots do you all have that nest together?

@ Stosh and blw2 I don't know why you even commented, you two might want to read my original post instead of assuming anything. I never said I said I was deciding anything......feel free to come to a meeting and see boy led working. The boys made the decision but unlike you guys a good SM will do some research as we are suppose to advise and mentor.

Way to go @@blw2 you now got me into trouble with @@joesport5  :)

I guess I kinda got sidetracked with the original post and It's just me hearing the wrong things intended.  My apologies.  Maybe in the future the 300' will encourage everyone to start saying, "the boys" and "the adults".  When I hear "We" coming from an adult it's kinda hard to distinguish what's really going on.  

• Upvote 1

Don't sweat it, joe.  This isn't bad.  Several years ago we had a guy here who flipped out at anyone referring to "our troop" or, heaven forbid, "my troop."  Dogma was the troop belongs to the boys and the only acceptable reference was to "the troop which I serve."

Just to add a bit to the process of gear, in my troop we don't go with the ISA, but we do have IPA's.  Individual Patrol Accounts.  The patrols get a portion of the fundraising moneys in the patrol account.  Then they don't have to go to the treasurer every time they have an equipment request for them to handle.  They can just handle it themselves.  The boys kinda like the autonomy of the process and seem to do well with the money in their accounts.  If the boys wreck a tent, they have the money to replace it, some for stoves, totes, or whatever else they feel they need.  It also keeps the boys from pestering the treasurer with a lot of little requests.  They simply go out and buy things and turn the receipt into the treasurer who then reimburses accordingly,no questions asked.  It's kind of a petty cash account for the boys to be in charge of.

That way the boys need a spatula, They simply head on over to Walmart, pick it up and keep the receipt.  The only adult involvement might be mom who drives the boy over to the store and takes him back home.  :)