Do you go by the age 7 or 1st grade rule for Tigers?

Sorry to post and dash.  Things got busy at work.  

Thank you all for the replies.  For those wondering I wear many hats w/in the pack.  Not only am I the BALOO I am also the awards chair and pack trainer.  I was a Tiger and Wolf den leader the 1st two years then I stepped down to join the committee.  I also assist with district training so I have my scouting plate full.  Almost too full.

My child has been reprimanded by other adults and I have not lost my cool.  I know my child doesn't listen all the time.  He is an 8 year old boy so I don't expect others to be perfect but repeated warnings by multiple adults about the platforms is inexcusable. 

I feel much better about the situation after reading your replies and speaking with our packs other BALOO and future CM (he will take over in February).  He said he also got some flack from other parents when he called lights out early due to the boys running around the campsite (that's rule #1 is no running) at night no less.  He warned them and then after it happened again, he called them all into the campfire circle and said that since they couldn't follow the rules they were going to bed early.  It was only about 15 min. early but they couldn't follow instructions so there were consequences for their actions. My son had been in our tent for about 20 min before that winding down and reading his bible.  I was honesty surprised that the other parents were upset about it.   Really people?  The boys broke the 1st cardinal rule and did it in the dark no less and you are upset?  We have already determined that the rules will be more strictly enforced for next month's campout.  As someone said if they can't follow the rules they will be asked to leave the campsite.  If you wish to go camping and let your child run wild then they should go camping on their own. 

Part of me wants to make up a list of the camp ground rules and ask that the kids and parents sign it.  That can be their 1st warning.  Of course that would be when my child decides to run in camp and everyone else would jump all over it. KWIM?

Thanks again!

Susan

Part of me wants to make up a list of the camp ground rules and ask that the kids and parents sign it. That can be their 1st warning. Of course that would be when my child decides to run in camp and everyone else would jump all over it. KWIM? ....

My rule #1: don't ask for a rule, you'll be stuck with it.

I think a corolary is: don't be bothered when someone tells you how to raise your kids, pretty soon your kids will be telling you the same.

Humans break rules. It's what they do. The fewer you have, the less they'll have to break, stick with the 12 points, be positive, and don't let the details bury you.

Oh, and wear fewer hats ... Lowers the probability of leaving one somewhere. ;)

Edited by qwazse

Is there something wrong with running around a campfire? Seems like that's an opportunity to wear them out. And it's a campfire after all. Fire. It might be nighttime but around the fire is not dark unless it's almost 'out'.

I would like to wear fewer hats.  I guess I am wanting to try and whip this pack into shape.  Our previous CC ran it into the ground financially and we are trying to recover from that.  Size is not an issue, we are on of the larger if not the largest in our district just had poor money management.  :(

The boys were running in the actual campsite.  One boy tripped on a guy line and another actually fell into a tent(presumably he tripped on something)  It was pretty dark out there unless you were in the actual campfire circle. 

I am all for wearing them down.  The 3 mile hike they did earlier that day certainly wore my son out.  He claimed his feet were going to fall off.  :p

Edited by Jackdaws

My bad. Gotta get a new monocle. You wrote campsite and I read campfire. Sorry.

It's not exactly the same, but it works in a similar way with my hearing. A while back my wife told me, "Go ahead, GET a motorcycle" and I actually thought she had given permission. Boy was I wrong.

Edited by cyclops
  • Upvote 1

It's not exactly the same, but it works in a similar way with my hearing. A while back my wife told me, "Go ahead, GET a motorcycle" and I actually thought she had given permission. Boy was I wrong.

You may need a Manslater!

• Upvote 1

The standards say:

Tiger—Must be under the age of 8, have completed kindergarten or be in the first grade, or be age 7.

There are three different things that allow a boy to join TIgers:  Age 7, completed kindergarden, or be in first grade.

To be a Cub, you have to complete first grade, or be age 8 and 9.

6 is plenty old to be a Tiger. That said, parents should be supervising their Tigers most of the time. 

To me this seems like a vision problem and not a rule problem. 

I think the boys and parents do not know that the that "in our pack we listen to Akeela" (listen to our registered and uniformed adult leaders) and "help the Pack go"  (everyone do their part and cooperate).

I suggest your next few pack meeting have lots of games where listening to the instructions from the uniformed leaders is the game.  (Red light, Green light)  Time seconds when the hand goes up till the room is silent.  Require Tiger adults to be with their sons and not in the back of the room talking on their phones.  No phones at pack meetings.  Etc...

I would have timed out a tiger in plain sight.  Not in a tent.  Or perhaps, "Tiger Ted I need you to sit with Assistant Den Leader here on this stump for 5 minutes".

It is pretty early in the school year, therefore in this young boy's tiger year.  I wonder where was the tiger leader in all this?  How is the listening to adults going within that den?  Does that leader need some coaching?

I found our pack campouts improved once there was a schedule of events and a duty roster.  (As I learned from my Baloo training.)

Hope something in here helps, enjoy working with the boys.

6 is plenty old to be a Tiger. That said, parents should be supervising their Tigers most of the time.

I suppose this is not really the thread to get into this, but 6 (first grade) is old enough because National says it is old enough. In my experience, some are ready at that age and some are not. I saw too many Tigers who clearly were not ready, and they were not really getting anything out of the program. They barely, if at all, understood why they were there. Parental supervision does not solve that problem.

Part of me wants to make up a list of the camp ground rules and ask that the kids and parents sign it.  That can be their 1st warning.  Of course that would be when my child decides to run in camp and everyone else would jump all over it. KWIM?

I see nothing wrong with having camp rules.  

Less jobs and more people helping is a good thing.  I bet most people on this site have taken on too many roles because we want to make the experience great for the boys. 

I can deal with the boys... it is the parents I have more problems with.....  don't get me started on them :-)

The standards say:

Tiger—Must be under the age of 8, have completed kindergarten or be in the first grade, or be age 7.

There are three different things that allow a boy to join TIgers:  Age 7, completed kindergarden, or be in first grade.

To be a Cub, you have to complete first grade, or be age 8 and 9.

I'm going to call you out on a technicality here.  You treat Tiger and "Cub" (I assume Wolf & Bear together) as 2 distinct groups.  Tigers are cub scouts and shouldn't be treated as a lesser class.  I see comments like yours frequently and it dates back to when Tiger Cubs were first formed ~30 years ago.  Back then they were a true distinct class with different uniforms, different meeting structures, etc.  Today they should be fully integrated into the pack.  It's especially the case with the new program where the adventure loop model is consistent from Tiger through Bear.  The only concessions made to their younger age (that I can think of at the moment) are the requirement that they have a parent partner and they can't do the STEM program.

SDR,

In folks defense on terminology, BSA has caused some confusion on the topic. Even after Tigers became fully integrated into Cub Scouts, the terminology on charters, used in training, etc has divided Cub Scouts into three groups: Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos. I haven't done the new training yet (I'm focusing my attention on Boy Scouts), nor have any of the new leaders' guides, but I am hoping with the abandonment of "Cubs" after Tiger now, the new badge, the streamlining of advancement, etc with the new program, this will change. And folks will no longer divide Cub Scouts into three different groups.

BUT, you and I both know these discrepancies will in BSA literature for some time :(